JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yes, another 114 thread.

I just got back from Sportsman's this morning and they had a little work around for those that purchase a gun now, but won't have their BGC go through by 12/08.

They're selling the guns on a layaway system. Because the sale date is time stamped pre-12/08, the purchase was completed prior to 114 going into effect, thereby enabling you to take your gun home if the BGC is conducted post 114.

I'm not sure of other Sportsman's are following suite, or if this method will get a pass from our dear friends at OSP, but I like how they've found, and are implementing a small loophole.

Any circumvention of this asinine 114 and the purposeful backlog it intended to create is amazing.

I applaud them doing something, anything to put dirt in the eye of the 114 chunts.

OH NO NOT ANOTHER SCARY LOOPHOLE WE WILL HAVE TO HEAR ABOUT!

This is a threat to our democracy

this is a humorous attempt at making fun of the anti gunners

Last Edited:
I was kind of wondering about that. The state police is inferring that any unprocessed BGCs will require a permit, but they've already been purchased. They're just waiting on the slowass Popo.

I have a receipt for mine from my LGS via a credit card purchase with serial # on the form, etc. how might a layaway be better than that? I would think the outright purchase receipt has more weight than layaway.

I have a receipt for mine from my LGS via a credit card purchase with serial # on the form, etc. how might a layaway be better than that? I would think the outright purchase receipt has more weight than layaway.
Yeah, this whole thing doesn't make sense.

Once you purchase the gun, the BGC gets submitted. I don't see how the financial terms of the transaction changes anything.

If anything, I could see layaway being worse if they don't start the BGC until after the final payment is made on the gun. I'd imagine even on a layaway they start the BGC check right away, but I've never bought a gun on layaway.

Hoping someone can clarify this, I'm genuinely curious.

This just sounds like a typical big-box store gun counter clerk trying to sound more clever than they really are.

Suspect that the way it will work is that the OSP will not approve any
background checks after 12/7 without evidence of the purchase
permit. Layaway or paid in full before 12/7 won't make any difference,
you are screwed. Hoping that at a minimum we get an injunction that
says "sales will continue under the old system until the permit system is
operational in all 36 counties".

Doesn't really matter when you paid for the gun or put it on lay-a-way etc...
This relates to when the transfer of the firearm takes place...

OSP is saying no transfers after 12-8-22 without a permit to purchase, full stop, nothing more, do not pass GO, do not collect $200

OSP is saying no transfers after 12-8-22 without a permit to purchase, full stop, nothing more, do not pass GO, do not collect $200
This is how I understand it.
Layaway, full purchase wouldn't matter.

If what I heard on Lars Larson in correct? The feckless secretary of state is who made the decision of how this unconstitutional, steaming pile of feces was going to go down. Not OSP. shemia fagen. With all her work and experience in law enforcement and all. :rolleyes:

Washington County Sheriff

"According to the Oregon Secretary of State, Measure 114 will go into effect at 12:00 AM on December 8, 2022.

On that date, firearm sales by dealers, at gun shows, and private transfers (other than close relative transfers) will stop in Oregon. Gun dealers cannot transfer a firearm after December 8 without the purchaser's valid permit-to-purchase, as defined in section 3 of the measure. If you purchase a firearm before December 8, it must be in your possession before the measure takes effect. The purchase is not finalized if the firearm is not in your possession."

https://www.washingtoncountyor.gov/sheriff/news/statement-sheriff-garrett-measure-114

Suspect that the way it will work is that the OSP will not approve any
background checks after 12/7 without evidence of the purchase
permit. Layaway or paid in full before 12/7 won't make any difference,
you are screwed. Hoping that at a minimum we get an injunction that
says "sales will continue under the old system until the permit system is
operational in all 36 counties".
OSP might still do the BGCs, but 114 prohibits FFLs from transferring the firearm without the extra special permit. So it'd be up to each FFL, in theory

Unfortunately, I think you are correct. I forgot about the transfer part. That's the stickler, not the purchase itself.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads