JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
BEND, Ore. -- A northwest Bend homeowner returned home, confronted a man who had apparently broken in and fatally shot him during a fight, police confirmed late Monday, releasing the names of those involved in the ongoing investigation.

Kevin Perry returned to his home at 2461 NW Awbrey Road around 12:40 a.m. Sunday, accompanied by Amanda Weinman, 33, of Eugene, and found the front door had been forced in, said Lt. Paul Kansky.

Perry and his companion entered the home and encountered a man identified as Shane Michael Munoz, 33, of Bend, in the living room, Kansky said.

A fight ensued, involving all three people, the lieutenant said – and during that altercation, Perry shot Munoz, who was pronounced dead at the scene after police were called to the home.

Perry and Weinman sustained minor injuries, apparently during the altercation, Kansky said.

An autopsy took place Monday at the state Medical Examiner's Office near Portland, and police were awaiting word on the cause of Munoz’s death, Kansky said.

No arrests have been made, Kansky said, adding that the investigation is continuing.

A flower pot sits outside the home Monday, placed by a friend of Munoz, who didn't want to be identified.

"I'm trying to pick up the pieces and figure out why this happened to him," said the friend. "I see the story that is out there that they are calling it breaking and entering and burglary and all these things and I just want to make sure that people know or that there is some account of who Shane was."

He says Munoz was a great friend and the father of a 5-year-old son.

"The son, Mekhia, is going to go through the rest of his life without his dad," the friend said. "That was the thing that Shane loved more than anything in the world was his son. He talked about him all the time. That he was such a proud father and it just breaks my heart."

He says he just can't understand what would have lead to the burglary.

"I don't know what would have lead to him getting shot," the friend said. "I couldn't imagine, I've never seen him in a altercation or anything in my life."

He says Shane was a good person who was never malicious.

"He's not somebody I would in a million years assume that this would be the end of his life," the friend said. "That he would be shot and accused of the things he has been accused of."

On Sunday, police detectives obtained a search warrant and searched the home for evidence, assisted by the Oregon State Police Crime Lab, Kansky said.

Kansky’s brief news release Sunday stated, “It has been determined that there is not any concern of danger to the community at this time related to this incident.”

Neighbors watched the goings-on and wondered just what had happened. Some neighbors we talked to off-camera said they thought they may have heard a loud gunshot Saturday night but weren't sure.

"Yeah, they (police) have been there all day, I think," said neighbor Mark Waters. "I took off and went for a bike ride this afternoon, and then I saw that the Oregon State Police Forensics Team had showed up, too, so obviously it had to be something serious."

Waters said, "Somebody's going to try to break into a house or commit some kind of criminal act, people have a right to defend themselves. Again, I don't know the facts or the circumstances, but it's unfortunate."

So sorry your buddy the burglar, that was such a good person he was in someone's living room, got himself shot- but unfortunately that's a potential side effect of crime. If he loved his son so much, he shouldn't have been on the prowl. That has proven to be quite hazardous to his health. He should have just run away instead of trying to fight and he might still be alive. I won't, however, be shedding any tears for him

...by "your buddy" I'm referring to the quoted "friend" in the article, not the poster of said article. sorry for any confusion

Last Edited:
Being the father of a child doesn't confer any special rights - not as far as committing felonies is concerned.
Heck, even Hitler loved kids, and he cried when his dog died! So what?

The guy decided to commit a serious crime. He got caught. He fought to get away, rather than surrendering. He lost the fight. No, it's not a good thing that he's dead, but it's darned sight better than if Perry or Weinman had to pay the ultimate price instead.

Does his good friend believe that:
a) this was the first time in his life that he'd ever pulled a crime?
b) that he would "turn his life around" and become a dentist or a plumber?
c) or that his love of his kid somehow trumps his victim's right to self-defense?

The friend can honor his dead buddy by making the story of his life and death a cautionary tale. Then he would've died for something, anyway.

I see a possible illegal alien invader to the home of a US citizen who righteously ended the career of the attacking criminal in defense of home and the lady. Prove me wrong and I will recant, otherwise good shoot sir

I don't give a hoot if he was hot off the border trucks, but it sucks watching poor logic. The onus of proof is always on he who makes the claim. If you're making an educated guess based on experience, share the experience. If you know something we don't know, share it. In essence if you make a claim it must be backed by evidence. Even a single shred, which isn't provided in the article. Munoz is also a common Italian name. Next.

I see a possible illegal alien invader to the home of a US citizen who righteously ended the career of the attacking criminal in defense of home and the lady. Prove me wrong and I will recant, otherwise good shoot sir

I don't give a hoot if he was hot off the border trucks, but it sucks watching poor logic. The onus of proof is always on he who makes the claim. If you're making an educated guess based on experience, share the experience. If you know something we don't know, share it. In essence if you make a claim it must be backed by evidence. Even a single shred, which isn't provided in the article. Munoz is also a common Italian name. Next.

Illegals commit a vastly disproportionate level of crime in the USA.. that alone gives weight to my theory. We can't know for sure until the DA or grand jury speaks. I have never heard Munoz as an Italian name but have known the name well as a Central American name. I'm originally from California and knew a lot of white as well as mestizo Central Americans, but whatever

OMG. :confused: Text book example of jumping to a conclusion. Prove you wrong???? How abouts proving the deceased was in the wrong first??? After all this isn't about you is it? :rolleyes:

Illegals commit a vastly disproportionate level of crime in the USA.. that alone gives weight to my theory. We can't know for sure until the DA or grand jury speaks. I have never heard Munoz as an Italian name but have known the name well as a Central American name. I'm originally from California and knew a lot of white as well as mestizo Central Americans, but whatever

"We can't know for sure until the DA or grand jury speaks" and yet you were able to jump to a conclusion previously. Hmmm. :confused: I am originally from Wyoming and I grew up with Coca's, Sanchez's, and Ramirez's. Should I automatically decide that if a crime is comitted it must be one of themand they were here illegally????

PLEASE back up your claim on illegals commiting the "vastly disproportionate level of crime in the USA".

Perry shot Munoz, who was pronounced dead at the scene after police were called to the home.
An autopsy took place Monday at the state Medical Examiner's Office near Portland, and police were awaiting word on the cause of Munoz's death

eyeroll... really?

My best guess is that they are awaiting the ME's report to determine if the deceased was under the influence of any substances and to verify that the shot(s) was/were not just to cover up another cause of death.

OMG. :confused: Text book example of jumping to a conclusion. Prove you wrong???? How abouts proving the deceased was in the wrong first??? After all this isn't about you is it? :rolleyes:

"We can't know for sure until the DA or grand jury speaks" and yet you were able to jump to a conclusion previously. Hmmm. :confused: I am originally from Wyoming and I grew up with Coca's, Sanchez's, and Ramirez's. Should I automatically decide that if a crime is comitted it must be one of themand they were here illegally????

PLEASE back up your claim on illegals commiting the "vastly disproportionate level of crime in the USA".

OK..

Major Findings of The Color of Crime -- Second, Expanded Edition (2005)

AND

http://www.cis.org/ImmigrantCrime

Whatever.. some of us have insight and some are clueless

I can see it now...
The jury (and there will be one) is going to be concerned with why they chose to enter their home when it appeared that someone had forced their way in.
Those defending the deceased are going to claim that they should of remained outside and called 911.

I can see it now...The liberals (and there will be some) are going to be concerned with why they chose to enter their home when it appeared that someone had forced their way in.

Those liberals defending the deceased are going to claim that they should of remained outside and called 911.

There. I fixed it for you. Is there a LAW which says I can't enter my home to investigate, or is there a LAW which says I must dial 911 and wait an hour for the poleese?

Blitzkreig, racism is ugly.

Your first link, "The Color of Crime," doesn't even mention illegal aliens. Not once on the entire .pdf document. Or, in your mind, are "Hispanic" and "illegal" synonymous?

Your second link, "Immigrant Crime," holds that the foreign-born constitute 15.4% of the gen pop, but according to DHS make up either 20% or 22% of the incarcerated population. Is that your idea of an "overwhelming majority?"

What I see here is called confirmation bias, where you selectively filter what your hear and see to fit your prejudices. And it's ugly, as well as being patently false.
Confirmation bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I see no other possible explanation for how the very links you submit so clearly refute your claim.

Crime and poverty are inextricably linked, and we can't honestly discuss one without talking about the other. That can't explain away the greater incidence of violent crime (both giving and getting) among black and brown Americans, but it sure applies a major correction to any sweeping generalities.

We could also correctly say that almost all violent crime is committed by young males, and therefore we should deport or preventatively incarcerate - you!! But that wouldn't be fair, would it - using discriminatory generalities to judge an individual.

this is just media trying to put a sorrow twist on the story because they didnt have the balls to support the homeowner since they probably didnt want to talk to the media, so some sap found this buddy and he gave his story in remembering the great person the purp was and probably had the picture of the mexican saints in their houses and cars protecting them while drug and human trafficing. no remorse hear, the guy shows up in my house with Saint marry on his shoulders while he is in his catholic robe and tries to rob and gets into a altercation with me, in my home, he is going to meet his higher power, hopefully higher power than .45 acp or .223

Im still new to Oregon, why doesn't the state do something about illegal immigrants? coming from minnesota, this state is like mexico. And there are alot of them that do not speak english. It is not that hard to understand the ways of getting citizenship and knowing the rules of it. dont you need to speak english. yet oregon has schools that speak spanish for the kids? What the heck is wrong with this state. hmm, why are the cartels coming here to grow weed? go to grand and burnside, or one block south Ankey, and go east 1 block. Ice could fill a bus a day and drive all the illegals looking for day work standing on the street every day and just send them back to mexico, with nothing, then it may take them a year or more to save up to try to come back. yet all state residents pay for their kids health and welfare. this state needs to grow some balls and stand up a bit. I don't mean to put any oregons down, but maybe you dont see it as clear as a new resident

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top