JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm sure PCArms can answer this, and maybe some others know as well. Benchmade as four lines that I know of, the gold box, red box, blue box, and black box. What're the differences between them? I know the red box's are their 'value line' and made overseas, what's the quality like? My 9050 is a black box, which I believe is military & LE?

I've carried a "lowly" red-box Benchmade Ambush for going on about 3 years, and I beat the stuffing out of it and click it open and closed all day and generally do all the things the instruction manual tells me not to, ie "Do not use as a prybar, do not use as a screwdriver, do not use as toe-nail clippers" (Oh, wait, I made up that last one, but it's still good advice. Ouch!). Anyway, generally abuse mine and it's held up great. Hard to get wrapped around the idea of dropping $200+ on a blade that won't do a whole lot more then one then costs $60. OMO....

I personally hate Benchmade's "class" organization for their knives. It's a stupid marketing structure - I don't shop for knives by "class". I think its use actually makes it harder to find knives on their site.

I have a black class Presidio and it's as good as Microtech in build and materials. Their seatbelt cutter/glass breaker tool is maybe red (?) and you can tell the difference, but it's still good, serviceable gear.

I own about $7,000 worth of knives, ranging from one worth $1,750 down to the $60's and for me the $150 to $250 ones get the most use. Spyderco Caly III being the 'fave EDC.

Check out the Benchmade Bedlam (manual version), plain edge, 154 cm Stainless Steel (58-61JHRC), Axis Lock, Ambidextrous dual thumb opener, Blade 3.95" (because of the curvature of the blade it is effectively longer), glass breaker on the butt end. The manual version of this knife can be opened faster than the auto and you don't need to worry about carrying outside OR. The hand grip is solid. Best suited for cleaning fish!
Good prices (about $190) can be found on amazon.

I personally hate Benchmade's "class" organization for their knives. It's a stupid marketing structure - I don't shop for knives by "class". I think its use actually makes it harder to find knives on their site.

I divide them into 2 classes. The one or two BMs I can afford (attainable class), and the many I want but can't afford (everything else class)

I was watching the nut-n-fancy 2013 shot show review and they talked about how they had consolidated their products lines to where everything will be on-shore now. They also make the harley davidson, HK and Bone Stalker lines that are a mix and match of off-shore and on-shore. I picked up a Harley Davidson that is essentially a Osborn 340 with missing the Ti oxidation on the spacer and has obnoxious HDs all over it. Same steel, hardware, weight, stats. etc.

I've had an HK Nitrous Stryker as my EDC knife for around five or six years now. AFIK, HK is the bottom of the Benchmade line. This knife has been abused to the max. The only thing I've never done is pry with it. It's still tight and solid.

I sent it back to Benchmade for a tune up and sharpening last year under the "Lifesharp" program. It came back sharp and ready for five more years of abuse. The cost? Five bucks for return shipping.

So all that preceding wordiness comes down to: I don't think you can go wrong with any Benchmade knife.

IMGP1448.jpg

IMGP1449.jpg

I would have to agree with GOG, that life time service is worth paying a few extra bucks for a Benchmade Knife. Years ago the best carry knife I could find was spyderco. I carried various versions including the police model but then I found Benchmade. The Osborne version is my utility knife and is so light it makes a good backpacking knife. The Bedlam is my one of my personal security devices & I save its edge for cleaning fish! So on most days I carry two Benchmades, the Osborne for utility and the Bedlam for cleaning fish!

Red class knives (made in China) are no longer made. They however still sell the Houdini. Which is a glass breaker, safetey cutter, light. Their waranty is top notch, if you break a blade its $25 replacement. Generally Black class has NSN numbers so its easy for millitary to order. Also only black class have auto knives.

Check out the Benchmade Bedlam (manual version), plain edge, 154 cm Stainless Steel (58-61JHRC), Axis Lock, Ambidextrous dual thumb opener, Blade 3.95" (because of the curvature of the blade it is effectively longer), glass breaker on the butt end. The manual version of this knife can be opened faster than the auto and you don't need to worry about carrying outside OR. The hand grip is solid. Best suited for cleaning fish!
Good prices (about $190) can be found on amazon.

I dropped off a knife yesterday at Benchmade and fondled the Bedlam. I've always had a thing for persian blades and the Bedlam is way cool.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top