JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
x05r1001-versatilevise-web-8629_cc.jpg.pagespeed.ic.6ig4L4e615.jpg 05r1004_smallvicejaws_alt3_1.jpg
'Ultimate Versatile Vise' dual axis la-dee-dah

OK, maybe still a little spendy, but at $80 plus another $25 for rubber jaw cups, (plus annoyingly another $15 shipping)
I'm hoping it will do what I want.

Ultimate Versatile Vise: Dual-Axis Bench Vise - Garrett Wade

Wow! I MAY want this vise! Bench vise that is. I'm a little bit old for the other types of vices. The clamp down twist handles look a little bit weak. Can this vise be clamped down strongly enough to do the heavy jobs? I do not see the potentially necessary flats on the finger tight tighten down handles. No way to use a wrench to severely tighten down the vise positioning potentials. I see plastic. I do not see steel.

Heavy duty in this case being the necessity of locking down the vise strongly enough to properly torque up AR15 barrels.

Guys, that's not a vise meant to be pounded on, it's more of a precision tool. Good on ya, 41mag, looking forward to your thoughts when it arrives. I can see a use for one if I ever get serious about machining again, this could be just the thing for that final bit of fitting for parts fresh off the mill or lathe. Later.

Dave

it's more of a precision tool.
I've got a 'beater vice' of considerably more ample configuration for blunt physical trauma. It was/is unsuitable for my defined mission here.

Unsure how precision this might be, but certainly far better than what I tried to use for years.....a very pedestrian Sears version of an el-cheapo, opened 3 1/2"; rotated 1 axis on the mount, and not very gunsmithy-friendly.

I used a lightweight 360* rotating ball mount for a couple seasons, which proved to take up more room than it was worth. An electronic hobbyist buddy was delighted to inherit it for his own purposes. It was more appropriate to small crafts/positioning parts for soldering etc.

This is a basic gamble on 'perception vs reality'. Holding handguns in suitable exposure for close bench work is the defined task. Will advise later on my observations.

It looks like this will be a nice little vise for small finishing items.

I was wandering through Costco a while ago and saw the Larin vise. It was $50 and it came with the 2 rubber jaw protectors.

https://www.amazon.com/Larin-RBV-5-5-Multi-Function-Vise/dp/B00EQ4ZUYW

I've built a couple items using it and I am very happy with it.

41mag, inquiring minds would like to know..... what is going to be your use for this one that you found? ;)

Hey, HB, check this out: https://www.lowes.com/pd/ROCKWELL-J...MIg4Gu74P13gIVcyCtBh3u4w9yEAsYBCABEgKKP_D_BwE

I have the same thing with a different label, and I can verify it WILL hold an AR to torque a barrel nut. Folds up to store out of the way, too. Later.

Dave

I'm picking up something like this as a portable bench to hold my Yost 750E vise

The $250 slowed my enthusiasm on that one

I figure I'll have less than that in my vise and the jawhorse together

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top