JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am a brand spanking reloading noobie and the Dillon Fairy brought me a nicely upgraded used Dillon 650 XL last week. My question has to do with bench attachment. I have an 8' old 1950s grocery store counter as a work bench which has a top about 1 1/2" thick and is heavy with plenty of storage underneath- so no movement issues. I don't want a static placement of the press that may get in the way of any other future projects that might use a lot of surface space. I was considering mounting the press and strong mount to a 3/4" plywood piece and then being able to mount the plywood to the bench using star handled bolts through either T-bolts on the bottom side of the bench or screw inserts on the top.

image.jpeg

Any likely problems with this installation method that I need to be concerned about. Anybody using something similar?

I appreciate your help - don't want to do the install twice.

I've done that plenty of times.
A low tech but effective method is to mount your press to a piece of plywood with piano bolts which can be found at any Ace hardware store.
You'll likely have to drill a shallow relief cut for the bolt heads so it is truly flush using a spade bit or small hole saw.
Then C-clamp it to the bench.

I've done that plenty of times.
A low tech but effective method is to mount your press to a piece of plywood with piano bolts which can be found at any Ace hardware store.
You'll likely have to drill a shallow relief cut for the bolt heads so it is truly flush using a spade bit or small hole saw.
Then C-clamp it to the bench.
This is my current. Though, as soon as I get some time, I'm laying tracks: https://ultimatereloader.com/2011/03/27/the-new-reloading-bench-system-at-ultimate-reloader/

I use the screw inserts on my workbench (3" car decking top). I have the screw inserts placed to match the press on one end and the vice on the other. I mount all accesories, RCBS swaging tool, cut-off saw, etc to 3/4" plywood with the appropriate holes drilled into the plywood to match the inserts. Works really well, mounts are sturdy and I can have a completely flat work area it I want.

I am a brand spanking reloading noobie and the Dillon Fairy brought me a nicely upgraded used Dillon 650 XL last week. My question has to do with bench attachment. I have an 8' old 1950s grocery store counter as a work bench which has a top about 1 1/2" thick and is heavy with plenty of storage underneath- so no movement issues. I don't want a static placement of the press that may get in the way of any other future projects that might use a lot of surface space. I was considering mounting the press and strong mount to a 3/4" plywood piece and then being able to mount the plywood to the bench using star handled bolts through either T-bolts on the bottom side of the bench or screw inserts on the top.

View attachment 978193

Any likely problems with this installation method that I need to be concerned about. Anybody using something similar?

I appreciate your help - don't want to do the install twice.
I did just that, except I used a 6x6x1/4 steel plate, not plywood.
I bought the plates at a local steel yard and they have a 1/2" hole in all four corners, for $4 each.
They have a common use and sold everywhere.
I bought enough for 1 each per press and a few spares for future presses.
My bench is small and I swap out presses via this common bolt pattern and T-nuts under the bench top.
I use T-nuts for bolting the presses to the plates too.
Pics
RCBS Junior T-nutted to 6x6 plate
Small1.jpg
RCBS Jr./plate mounted to the bench with bolts common to all press/plate assemblies.
JrS.jpg
Other presses on a shelf waiting their turn on the bench
PStorageS.jpg
Pro1000 on plate, raised up on coupling nut stand offs to fit primer catch container under press.
Pro1000S.jpg
Piggyback press on plate, on bench.
PB_RC_S.jpg
Loadmaster on plate, on shelf.
LMPlateS.jpg

I cut off one corner and mount the presses Katy-cornered so one hole is on the rear press center line to eliminate any rocking.
jmo,

edit: Lee makes a plate system that's less expensive than the other mounts mentioned here.
This and now steel base plates, not wood, for each press:
comes with base block(s) (watch the vid)
Additional Base blocks:

Last Edited:
I have several of the flush mount Inline Fabrication quick change bases on two permanent benches, and one portable bench. Works well when I want to move different presses or other accessories (bench priming tool, small bench vise, dillon swage tool). In the event that I want a clear workbench, I can just remove the press or other accessory mounted to the plate. I also have some small T-track for mounting other smaller accessories (powder measures) and clamping other stuff down. Similar idea to what you are proposing, and although I am totally satisfied with my setup, your solution would be more more economical, as all the bases and mounting plates add up $$.

Make sure to give sufficient thought to how *high* you're going to mount the press and whether you think you're going to sit or stand when operating the Dillon.

I'm 5'11" and mounted my XL570 on a bench that is 37" tall ( think it was 32" and then I added 5" casters) and then added a full size (9.75" ??) Ultramount w/ Quick Change and the height is correct for me standing in front of the press. At that height, the full handle motion is perfect AND since the XL750 only requires around 7" of height (there is a special shorter Strongmount for just the 750/650), I can mount the press 2" or so back from the edge of the bench so it's not overhanging the edge.

You dont want your arm too high but definitely not too low where you have to bend your knees on every downstroke. So, consider the ergonomics since you're going to pulling that handle A LOT.

Last Edited:
Thanks for all the advise replies. I finished my press set up and posted the following under the reloading workbench photo thread:

Just set up my first press, a Dillon XL 650. I decided to try and quick mount it. So, I mounted the Dillon strong mount to 3/4" plywood and then used Star heads with hex bolts to thread through T-bolts on the bottom of the work bench surface. This allows me the flexibility to move the press relatively easily for minimal cost. I also decided to not remove my vice from the edge of the workbench. So, I built a hinged box (without a bottom) that is held in place by the vice. The top of the box allows me to put my scale and other peripherals at a more convenient height level while also having storage space inside the box.

View attachment 1015253

The box takes up 13", and the press takes up 18" for a total of 31" out of a 96" workbench.

I am looking forward to learning this craft and to developing some "muscle memory" for the choreographed dance that is reloading - first in 9 mm then 30 carbine.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top