Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Bellingham, WA man wins $15K settlement after open-carry incident

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by ATCclears, Aug 15, 2013.

1. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

2. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

Oops, I just realized Dave covered this in a post from yesterday.

Peter

3. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Good for him!

4. evltwn

evltwn Gold Hill Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Part of me says Bravo, well done! Another part of me cringes at the thought of sensationalists trolling for a chance to strut their "2A Stuff" and score a settlement to boot.

5. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

A win for our side is a win period, maybe le will start to learn (but I doubt it, not until they have to a least foot some of the bill)

6. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Portland, Oregon, United States Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, so the $15k comes from where? You and I are footing the bill folks.

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  7. oknow

Even the anti's will start to complain after they have to pay more money in taxes because the officers are doing it wrong.

8. osterr1999

osterr1999 Silverton, OR Active Member

Good point Ted. He basically sued we the people and won. We should only applaud if the department actually did something like fire the officer so that we the people won't get sued again.

9. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

"He was also told that all police officers and 911 dispatchers in the city will be trained in open carry laws"

Well isn't that special. The Police will be trained as to what the law is....so that as "Law Enforcement Officers", they will know what laws to enforce. Dumbazzes...

10. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

The 15k should have come out of the pig's pay.

11. duane black

duane black Washington Well-Known Member

I agree with you redcap. This is one of my biggest problems with government in general. There is ZERO accountability. These people should face the exact same repercussions as you or I would if we bubblegumed up. Jail and or HUGE legal bills defending the charges, not tax payer money either.

This is OUR money for bubblegums sake.

Redcap, unklekippy, Dyjital and 3 others like this.
  12. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

Well, now that a legal precedent has been set, they better get their act together. As wouldn't it be funny if more and more people started open carrying in the same place. Just trying to get the same behavior. I mean, it turns into an instant law suit fest.

Sure, we are basically just paying ourselves for it. But heck, it is one way to get your taxes back right?

13. Botte Hork

Botte Hork Camas WA Well-Known Member

I expect those $15k will rapidly be handed back to the Bellingham PD in payments of traffic infraction size.

14. chariot13

chariot13 Near Eugene/Springfield Well-Known Member

True, I'm sure this guy has paid more than $15k in taxes in his life, he should of went for the full amount & any potential future withholdings on top of that.

15. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

Those of us who are familiar with the MSG know that he wasn't trolling, he is just an open carrier who was hassled by the police. There is a thread on OpenCarry that has been talking about this since it occurred. There was no trolling or strutting or anything. He's a nice guy who was threatened by the police for going about his life.

16. Stevenav

Stevenav Redmond Active Member

The officer should be charged with reckless endangerment (pointing a gun at a person's chest when that person has shown no hostile intent is bull) and serve a jail term for it. Either that or be made to do community service for 1500 hours... perferably doing gun safety and open carry information classes. Maybe teach classes showing people how to defend themselves using firearms. Wow... what a concept... make a cop actually LEARN about the laws he's supposed to enforce and know.

What a jerk.

Dyjital, Redcap, unklekippy and 3 others like this.
  17. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

The ONLY reason I do not have any heartburn about the 15k coming from the public coffers is for the fact that the cop pulled his weapon and pointed right at the guy's chest immediately after refusing to show him his I.D.

Sounds like someone needs a serious arse-whooping' after he takes his tin shield off for 5 mins. My blood pressure is actually elevated right now, after having read that article.

18. oknow

No argument there

19. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

Well, like I said, those of us who have been following this for a while are familiar with the case and the way Bellingham PD has been acting towards the MSG, and he has had his attorney contacting people. The PD up there is now on alert that should ANYTHING untowards happen....well, they all know what to expect.

20. ma96782

ma96782 Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I doubt that the police department had TRAINED it's officer(s) well.

Go back to school.

Aloha, Mark