JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I received my Washington state Concealed Pistol License in January, and bought my Defender (.45 ACP) a week or so later.

Since then I've been carrying just about everyday. Tried a couple holsters and settled on the Alien Gear Tuck 3.0 (at 3:30 position) because it's very comfortable and keeps the gun heel close to my body.

Strange thing is that now when I have to leave the gun behind for whatever reason, I feel odd, like I'm not wearing pants or something.

I started out carrying the gun in Condition 3 (Mag loaded. Chamber empty). But as I've become familiar and more comfortable with a gun on my hip, I'm now consistently carrying in Condition 1 (Mag loaded. Round chambered. Hammer back. Safety on).

The reason I switched to Condition 1 (apart from the obvious self-defense advantages of not having to rack the slide in a confrontation) is because I don't like the complacency that can potentially come from thinking "Oh, it's not really loaded, so I don't have to be as careful."

Of course Rule One is "Every gun is loaded." But I think it's easy to play mental tricks on ourselves to get around that rule. So by training myself that my gun is ALWAYS in Condition 1 when on my hip, I help reinforce Rule One, which makes me more safety conscious.

You got that right, treat all guns as if they're loaded even if you know that they are not. That's rule number one that everyone that handles a gun should practice.
Back when I started to conceal carry I, like you, carried chamberles. After gaining confidence I began to carry on in the pipe and feeling a bit more careful.
Back then when I was a young & strong bull I didn't feel the need to carry for defensive purposes because I felt very confident that I could diffuse any situation and BTF out of anyone who dared to try make an easy mark of me. Man was I ever in denial.

Last Edited:
Well, that works for me, whatever gets and holds your attention! When I picked up my first 1911 (an AMT Gov. model, what a rag!),
I was aware that JMB intended that the pistol be carried in condition one, and I've always carried them that way.

Jim, when we were young we didn't face guns, almost as rarely a knife. Not denial, but rather our life experience at that point in our lives. ;)

Just a thought.
Or maybe you can call it a tailgate safety meeting. :s0087:

This is the gun safety crap I worry about.

OK. A gun has the ability to shoot.
I need to verify it's condition. And always handle it in a way that shows respect for this potential.

It can be made safe. Or handled in a way that is safe. But it can never be made into something other than a gun that can shoot.

Most people get into trouble when they become comfortable with there daily gun interaction.
They add to. Or take from. What is sound handling practice.

Do you carry your Glock upstairs to bed with you at night? Don't also carry up a laundry basket with the gun in your hand.
Don't walk into the room and flip on the light switch with the same hand the gun is in.
Don't shove your gun into your IWB holster without verifying something like a shirt tail, or fold in a holster hasn't developed that can cross the trigger and fire the gun as you shove it in!

These things and a thousand other various acts of contempt develop as you become more comfortable in the daily handling of your gun.

You need to be constantly looking at how you handle your gun.
I am. And I catch myself almost doing stupid stuff all the time. [Read the above.] :s0108:
Subtle the way contemptuous actions sneak in.

You can get away with feeding the bad dog for a long time.
And it's easy to analyze what you did wrong when he finally bites.

The harder thing to do. Is to stay on top of complacent actions you take with the gun you handle constantly. Day in and day out. o_O

I got my eye on you Mr. Glock ! :s0123:

Last Edited:
Well, that works for me, whatever gets and holds your attention! When I picked up my first 1911 (an AMT Gov. model, what a rag!),
I was aware that JMB intended that the pistol be carried in condition one, and I've always carried them that way.

Jim, when we were young we didn't face guns, almost as rarely a knife. Not denial, but rather our life experience at that point in our lives. ;)

That right there brother is my point, the world got ruined by TPTB in GOV that felt criminals deserved more rights than the law abiding & gave lesser sentences or let them out early!!!

We are the ones who provide protection to our families & people we hold near to heart because we know that if we needed help it's not going to be there when we need it.

We are the ones who provide protection to our families & people we hold near to heart because we know that if we needed help it's not going to be there when we need it.

This is what it all means. We understand this. Lots of people do not. The criminals who prey on people read them like a book, and as in the wild they analyze the chances and then move if it is obvious it will be successful.

I guess over the years I have developed the "look" . I observe all who are around me, approaching me, or present any intrusion on my personal space or sphere. I analyze them before they get close enough to intrude and have my plan in place.

I will never have to "wait" for anybody to defend me or those around me. The idea is ludicrous to me in any form. Just the way to live as a free man.

There are so many things that can go wrong on a daily basis. My goal is to not let my side arm be one of them. I find myself still thinking about it on a regular basis.

I guess being semi new to carrying, maybe that will go away. But I am not sure I want it to. If I think about it once in a while then I won't get complacent and make a mistake.

Agreed with all written above. It is true that over familiarity can breed contempt. Be alert. Be vigilant. Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you.

I find myself still thinking about it on a regular basis.

I guess being semi new to carrying, maybe that will go away. But I am not sure I want it to. If I think about it once in a while then I won't get complacent and make a mistake.

I'm the same way. When I carry, I always know it's there (which is a comfort), and keeping that in mind helps me remain conscious of the danger and responsibility that goes along with responsible gun ownership. Knowing it's in Condition One is another strong reminder to not ever get complacent.

As a reinforcement, I've come across several images of gunshot wounds on the inter-tubes. Keeping those in mind prevents complacency. Big time.

When my gal was new at the sheriff's dept. A deputy wanted to show her is new back up gun.

He cleared it and gave it to her, she then cleared it again and chamber checked it. After that he and the other deputies looked at her with a whole different view.

I taught her well!
LOL

Agreed with all written above. It is true that over familiarity can breed contempt. Be alert. Be vigilant. Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you.

Had an odd interaction just yesterday while unloading the truck after a shop...

Saw a guy pretending to be working on his car (Virginia tags) the next loop over from our house as we headed home. Didn't think too much on it at the time, other than he must have heard a wierd noise ir somesuch...

Get home, and the 2nd or third trip out to haul stuff in, guy pulls up in front of our house. Guy gets out & starts to approach acting all squirrelly.

Me, I've got the 2 truck doors open between us & with my left hand up & command voice tell him "STOP RIGHT THERE!" (probably about 7 -8 yards distance...) he does and I ask "HOW CAN I HELP YOU?"...first thing I did, without any thought to it was clear my jacket with my right hand. Didn't palm the grip, just kept it clear is all...

Guy, surprised, complied, then asks if I happen to know of anyone renting in the neighborhood. Me: "No, sorry, can't help you, HAVE A NICE DAY".

Guy gets back in his car and leaves. Yeah, um, most folks looking to rent just randomly drive around asking folks...:rolleyes:

Point is, if I wasn't condition 1, if guy had acted on whatever no-goodness I feel he was considering, it's unlikely I would have had time to rack...

Guns are like knives to me.

If it's folded in my pocket or holstered in a good holster that coveres the trigger (strange I feel I need to add the trigger part - that defines a part of a good holster) then I don't give it a second thought.

I think about it when I am removing it from my person, at which point it gets put in an appropriate place & when I am putting it on my person to make sure it's there.

Other then that I know what side of the knife cuts and which side of the gun the boolits come out of and keep them pointed in a safe direction;).

Unless it's a revolver... then I spin it on my finger once an hour to stay in practice so I can look tactical if I have to:p (do I need to add j/k?)

When I daily carried a .45, I always carried loaded chamber, cocked and locked, in a IWB holster behind my right hip. The holster was a thumb break that covered the back of the slide to block the hammer in the event of a mechanical failure.

I also practiced my draw, reholstering and handling religiously. A minimum of 20 minutes per day until the draw, safety manipulation and presentation were total muscle memory. Even now, though I carry a much lighter pistol (bad back), that draw and safety manipulation are still automatic.
The taurus 740 I carry now has a similar thumb safety placement so the adjustment was minor.

I also carry with one in the chamber. If you ever really need it, it needs to be ready to go "BANG" without thought.

I'll also add, and encourage others to also get into the habit of doing a press check any time they strap on that gun. I don't want any surprises when that trigger gets depressed.

The loudest sound you'll ever hear is a "click" when it should have gone "bang"!

Whatever gun you carry or holster you use ... You need to work for you and have it be comfortable and accessible for how you go about your day.

All of which requires time and money to be spent on your end to find out what gun , holster and carry works for you.

As for me , being the old fashioned guy that I am and teaching at a high school .... I carry a really wicked sharp No.2 pencil.... just kidding.

Good advice in the above posts about carrying and not allowing yourself to become complacent about firearm safety.

I might add ... Do not fall into the trap of thinking that now I can carry so "I am the meanest Mother in the valley."
Or relying on the fact that you have a gun ... therefore you don't need to worry so much about situational awareness.

Not that I think that any here have said that or are thinking that about themselves.
Just after having shown a few folks how to shoot .... Some folks can get a little over confident now that they carry or know how to shoot a gun.
Kinda like the super gung ho young soldier who is all spoiling for a firefight ... 'cause he's never been in one.
Andy

Last Edited:
Whatever gun you carry or holster you use ... You need to work for you and have it be comfortable and accessible for how you go about your day.

All of which requires time and money to be spent on your end to find out what gun , holster and carry works for you.

As for me , being the old fashioned guy that I am and teaching at a high school .... I carry a really wicked sharp No.2 pencil.... just kidding.

Good advice in the above posts about carrying and not allowing yourself to become complacent about firearm safety.

I might add ... Do not fall into the trap of thinking that now I can carry so "I am the meanest Mother in the valley."
Or relying on the fact that you have a gun ... therefore you don't need to worry so much about situational awareness.

Not that I think that any here have said that or are thinking that about themselves.
Just after having shown a few folks how to shoot .... Some folks can get a little over confident now that they carry or know how to shoot a gun.
Kinda like the super gung ho young soldier who is all spoiling for a firefight ... 'cause he's never been in one.
Andy

So true!
And if the gun fight doesn't kill you the aftermath in court might financially....... I'm a Sheepdog but I also carry a real taser, that makes me a Smart Sheepdog!
LMAO

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews