JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
FINALLY a 9th appellate court decision that makes sense. Hopefully this will force some central valley cities in Kommiefornika to rethink their police shooting policies. Probable cause to stop and detain.

This is one of those ones that bothers me. Assuming the article is done in fact, always questionable now days. So on that assumption, sure sounds like the guy was scum and needed to be sent off. Now the part that does bother me. If you read the entire article. Does sound VERY sketchy. The report of the man with a gun was the start of a lot of problems with this.

Whatever the color it's a bad idea to run from the Police...The End.

YEP, and if you are carrying an illegal gun and drugs best to not attract attention, like running. Wife was on a case long ago. Clown was arrested for illegal drugs, weapons, driving with no license. He went to trial claiming the Police had no "reasonable" reason to stop him. Cop took the stand, "Officer XYZ why did you pull the defendant over in the first place?" Defendant was clocked at 100MPH in the city of Lakewood. So again drive illegal, with illegal stuff in the car, and put a neon sign on top of your car flashing "STOP ME". Then whine and cry that the Police were just picking on you. LOL

There was a similar (kind of) case in Portland where a convicted felon was sitting in a vehicle in down town loitering.
Police contacted him, found a gun, and arrested him for being a felon with a firearm.

Got over turned saying they didn't have proper cause.

But they are quick to pass more laws against us.

Wtf

This will be interesting when it reaches the SCOTUS. Illinois vs. Wardlow. Ruling in 2000 that states that:
Respondent Wardlow fled upon seeing police officers patrolling an area known for heavy narcotics trafficking. Two of the officers caught up with him, stopped him and conducted a protective pat-down search for weapons. Discovering a .38-caliber handgun, the officers arrested Wardlow. We hold that the officers' stop did not violate the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution.

Ummmm, race does not matter. 9th Circuit focus?:
The stop was particularly tenuous, according to the court's 18-page opinion issued this week, because some citizens — particularly people of color — may have good reason to run from police in these times of heightened racial tension.

Even though studies are showing there is no higher likelihood of being shot by the police:
A study by a Harvard professor released this month found no evidence of racial bias in police shootings even though officers were more likely to interact physically with non-whites than whites.
Note this is a Harvard study, not exactally the bastillion of conservative thought.

It was also only a three judge panel. I see this being added to overturned cases from the 9th Circuit.

Here's a similar recent decision from the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
Here's the context. For the last two years, federal courts — including, sadly, the Supreme Court — have endorsed a legal regime where police can use even the lawful exercise of gun rights as a pretext for the violation of other constitutional rights, principally our Fourth Amendment right against unreasonable search and seizure.
The state supreme court disagreed, holding that it could "find no justification for the notion that a police officer may infer criminal activity merely from an individual's possession of a concealed firearm in public." It continued:

Unless a police officer has prior knowledge that a specific individual is not permitted to carry a concealed firearm, and absent articulable facts supporting reasonable suspicion that a firearm is being used or intended to be used in a criminal manner, there simply is no justification for the conclusion that the mere possession of a firearm, where it lawfully may be carried, is alone suggestive of criminal activity.

Last Edited:
Fleeing police is not and never has been an admission of guilt. This we can tell has lead to many issues, shootings and deaths over the past many years.

Sometimes I run when I see the police just because. Give em something to do. (not really but I used to)

How can we ever become a society where race doesn't matter if we don't stop making laws based on race? :confused:

Sounds to me like he didn't learn his lesson from the first go around .
RUNNING FROM POLICE WHEN TOLD TO STOP ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding .
FELON ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding .
ILLEGAL FIREARM IN WAIST BAND ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding .
CRACK COCAINE ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding .
Hay when the Police tell you to YOU STOP .
Well maybe not him but boy I would .
You make your bed you sleep in it .

I guess this is akin to "Driving while being black".... Racial profiling should have no part of police work in a truly just society. Tennessee v. Garner, 471 U.S. 1 decided this decades ago, along with other issues. Other USC rulings have upheld the principle of liberty over the onerous use of police power over the decades as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Run from the cops=BAD!
If your not doing any thing wrong, then you have no reason to fear!

This whole racism thing needs to stop right frickin now! It's useless, divisive, and totally uncalled for!

Here is a great piece of advice, DON'T DO BAD CHIT, DON'T WORRY ABOUT GETTIN KILLED BY COPS, there, simple!
Act like a hoodlum, your gonna get looked at a lot closer! Simple!

AS a Detroit native and long-time resident of southern Michigan I can tell you that there IS a sort of :eek:institutionalised racism that goes along with being a patrol cop. Several of my family also worked in the cj system in one capacity or another and it wasnt unusual for racial slurs to come up at family gatherings. When my older sister married a decent black dude and raised a family, it sort of mellowed that scene out.
Call it what you will, deny it or blame the party involved, but overt racism does exist along with other prejudices in the patrol vehicle... Perhaps in the enlightened NW this is not so. If that is the case I hand it to you for solving one of the oppressing social issues of our day.
Personally I gtfo of that scene years ago, tired of taking crap over my then-long hair. Moved to one of our Rocky Mtn states for a little piece of mind.. Even took up a badge for awhile in one of our smaller communities... so I have seen both sides of the coin...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top