JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/19/us/a-culture-clash-over-guns-infiltrates-the-backcountry.html?_r=0

There are threads over in Outdoor Shooting Areas on this topic, but it made the NY Timess.

So, Don't be "
a Douchebag
" Pack Out what you brought in and a little extra.

We'll get shut down quicker for being poor guests in the Forest, than for some offense because of FA.

NWFA can give you a pat on the back too!

The red blocks indicate violations in National Forests
"The violation logs from the bureau are a tally of risky behavior: Shooting from vehicle. Weapon discharge in campground. Shooting at television. Using exploding targets. Shooting in "no shooting area."" etc...

forestguns_noIR-720.png

Last Edited:
the way shooters trash our public lands is really going to be our own demise, we are litterally shooting ourselves in the foot. Imagine what being a gun owner would be like when all public lands are closed to shooting and all your limited to is paying huge membership dues to private clubs with a 10 year waiting list.... think about it.

Yes to having people clean up after themselves!

The people that drive to outdoor ranges to just shoot rocks with their super tactical ar15s also are making us look bad. Saw a group of them awhile back jump out of their car, go full assault on a rock pile, then take selfies with the gun. What is happening to the firearm community!? I blame call of duty.

Theres plenty of people just dumping their trash at our shooting sites. I found several kitchen bags full last time I went out. We still gotta clean it all up or they will get closed no matter whose' trash it is.

What bugs me is pinheads like this:

"In New Mexico, homeowners upset by the crackle of gunfire are <broken link removed> a proposal to renew the permit for a gun range that has long operated on national forest land."

So they close it... Where do they think those shooters are going to go? They'll spread out and more areas will have issues.

What they really should be doing is providing decent shooting areas and letting the non-shooters know that bullets will be flying. At least keep them mostly in a few spots.

Then partner with activist pro-gun groups to help keep the area cleaned up.

elsie

the last thing we need is non shooters telling us where to go.....

bottom line, turn in anyone you see illegally shooting or dumping trash on our public lands.

The last time I went shooting I took my buddy visiting from NH. At the site we used there was a bunch of trash. There was also a large pile if mre's with a retailer sticker on the bags.
On the way back out my buddy looks down a ridge line and sees an SUV partway down. He tells me to stop and he climbs down to check if anyone's inside. Everybody got out and there were a bunch of mre's inside purchased from the same retailer.
Karma...

image.jpg

Most of it seems from around cities. Makes sense it's usually younger people who still have no respect for anything.
Also sad to say it foreigners.
Around here it's the russians trashing the shooting areas just outside of vancouver.
I always take out more than I bring to the woods. End up picking up other people's trash.

I don't agree with that. If they provide the shooting areas that just shuts all my areas down. Not good at all.

My point being that the more ... problematic ... shooters would go to the 'provided' range. I should have noted that the idea was not to close down shooting everywhere else, but to provide something convenient to help contain certain shooters.

elsie

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/19/us/a-culture-clash-over-guns-infiltrates-the-backcountry.html?_r=0

There are threads over in Outdoor Shooting Areas on this topic, but it made the NY Timess.

So, Don't be "
a Douchebag
" Pack Out what you brought in and a little extra.

We'll get shut down quicker for being poor guests in the Forest, than for some offense because of FA.

NWFA can give you a pat on the back too!

The red blocks indicate violations in National Forests
"The violation logs from the bureau are a tally of risky behavior: Shooting from vehicle. Weapon discharge in campground. Shooting at television. Using exploding targets. Shooting in "no shooting area."" etc...

View attachment 252578
Good thread, RicInOR! I don't care for the way they hammered shooters and made it sound like we're all bad, but, there just seems to be too many of the bad ones out there.

Still looking, and hoping, for a positive story on what 'Good' gun owners are doing to try and turn this situation around. (Getting tired of keeping my fingers crossed. They're getting numb!)

I think we're on the right track, and have the potential to make a change, with the encouragement and support from the Northwest Firearms organization and our members. We just need to do more of it.

This has always been my pet peave, people can carry a full case of beer but that can't manage to pack out a few empty aluminum cans.
I have taught my kids since they first started going shooting about 4 yrs. old now 23 that we always pick up our stuff including 22 casings and others trash when we leave. When my son goes with his friends now he always does what he was taught and his buddies can't figure out why he picks up others trash. I wish more people would practice this simple task. I have a 15x20 tarp I lay out if we're shooting a lot of ammo its quick and easier to clean up that way.

Stacy

Obviously we need to pick up after ourselves in the woods wether it be camping, hiking, shooting, or any activity in the forest.

Liberals are going to be pushing to ban target shooters from all public land regardless of how clean the woods are. It has nothing to do with trash in the woods, but more to do with their agenda. If it is not trash then it will be lead bullets. then they will demand we find every bullet fired and pick them up.
There is no satisfying the folks who want you and your firearms out of the woods.

Clean up after yourselves for sure, but don't be so naive to think that no garbage in the woods gets these 2nd amendment hating folks off our backs.

Clean up trash when you see it, report offenders when you catch them, and vote the anti gun sobs out of office.

Obviously we need to pick up after ourselves in the woods wether it be camping, hiking, shooting, or any activity in the forest.

Liberals are going to be pushing to ban target shooters from all public land regardless of how clean the woods are. It has nothing to do with trash in the woods, but more to do with their agenda. If it is not trash then it will be lead bullets. then they will demand we find every bullet fired and pick them up.
There is no satisfying the folks who want you and your firearms out of the woods.

Clean up after yourselves for sure, but don't be so naive to think that no garbage in the woods gets these 2nd amendment hating folks off our backs.

Clean up trash when you see it, report offenders when you catch them, and vote the anti gun sobs out of office.
Another reason to participate in volunteer efforts like forest cleanups and the TSIP booth project:

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...fa-target-shooter-information-program.193318/

Every chance to take action with positive results helps keep 2A rights alive.

More people are needed to staff the booth and help out in other ways.
Please contact Cogs if with the dates you are available, if you can help.

Too many is one. Unfortunately. The old adage: The only thing necessary for evil to succeed, is good men to do nothing. One dumps, no one else picks up. I know, in too many cases the area dumped is difficult or dangerous to clean. But shooting areas.

My personal experience says if there is one piece of garbage, soon there will be more.
Trash breads trash.. No such thing as birth control. WE have a lot of foreigners in this area and they have lived without any up bringing on cleaning up after them selves.
Right now most of the left over garbage is from temporary construction workers working on the Port of Morrow buildings. IE plywood/plastics and other materials used in construction.

I remember way.....way back in the boy scouts, when they used to teach no trace, one should use the resources the same way today.
My top 5 going up to shoot rules.

1. Try and take more with you then you came with.
2. Leave glass and breakables at home.
3. DO NOT, shoot at items near live targets. Trees, Plants , in puddles.
4. Make sure there is a good large back stop.
5. Make sure you know what is behind your target.

These are what we do to ensure a safe and non-destructive outing !

i'v been here in the Prineville area for a little over 30 yrs., and the slobs in this county are a real work of art .. tv's, microwaves, monitors, glass jars, PC's, and shotgun shells enough to build a pontoon boat
the BLM has already shut down 2 areas, and another one i don't frequent .....
the family is very respectful of the land, and we always haul out a little extra (even picked up a pat on the back from a deputy) i had pick-up loaded, and dump let me in for free ....
we just have to do a touch extra at times, and yes, it gets better ........ :)

steven

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads