JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I recently decided I had enough money to start my second build. The first one turned out well enough, but it was just to do it. Probably spent more money than i needed to. For my second build, I'm not sure which direction I'm headed in. I think this one is currently headed for another craps and giggles direction, though I'm feeling guilty, because I understand a lot more than I did a year ago and I kind of want to do something a little more coherent and I don't want to needlessly spend money if I don't need to. I kind of already have the key elements, but
so far I have;

Spikes Tactical Forged Lower/Upper.
Seekins Precision NOXS 15 inch handguard.
Ballistic Advantage Hanson Performance 5.56 16 inch mid length pencil profile barrel with pinned low profile gas block. - They currently have a deal that brings the price to $157.00. $170.00 with the gas tube.

Anyways just seeing what kind of input you all have to offer.

Last Edited:
Depends where do you want to go? Lightweight pencil barrel? Not that
accurate after it heats up. Medium or heavy weight barrel for a more
accurate but heavier upper? Spikes lower/upper good choice.
I also prefer the "mid length" gas system for a 16" barrel.:rolleyes:
Flip up backup iron sight mount on the end of the handguard.

What do you want to do with it? Is it for plinking or varmint hunting? Lots of different directions you can go.

Plus one on the trigger. No sense on having junk laying around when you decide you need to upgrade it.

Since you should always build your rifle around your barrel, and you have a pencil profile...I'd go for a light weight build. Your rail is great for it too. Make a goal to keep it under say 5 1/2 lbs, and have fun finding the best components at the best prices to do it. The pencil profile should be just fine as long as you don't do multiple mag dumps between cool down periods.. 2 of my 3 builds are around BA barrels... An 18" premium SPR profile( clover leafs at 100 yards but it's heavy!) and a Hansen 8.3" 300BO that I just shot for the first time yesterday... also super accurate. VSeven makes a lot of great(but a little spendy) light weight components.

Last Edited:
Since you should always build your rifle around your barrel, and you have a pencil profile...I'd go for a light weight build. Your rail is great for a it too. Make a goal to keep it under say 5 1/2 lbs, and have fun finding the best components at the best prices to do it. The pencil profile should be just fine as long as you don't do multiple mag dumps between cool down periods.. 2 of my 3 builds are around BA barrels... An 18" premium SPR profile( clover leafs at 100 yards but it's heavy!) and a Hansen 8.3" 300BO that I just shot for the first time yesterday... also super accurate. VSeven makes a lot of great(but a little speedy) light weight components.

Great input from everyone so far! I was thinking a lightweight build given the barrel i ended up buying and I'm certainly not going to be doing any mag dumps through it, I'm usually just a plinker anyways, I kind wanted to save up for a light weight receiever set. Of course there's nothing to stop me down the road from doing that and swapping out components or whatever.
As the others have suggested a quality trigger is high on my priority list too. Budget isn't huge, but I do have something to work with. I see a lot of CMC stuff in the gun shops and play with their demo, but I like what I see and read about the Geissele and Timney.

Bolt, Barrel, Trigger, optic. Save your money on everything else.

The BA Hansen barrels are great bang for your buck. I would go with a "semi auto" cut bcg to save some reciprocating weight. I am partial to fail zero bcg's but there are many reputable manufacturers. IMO nickel boron and melonited units have the best resistance to carbon buildup.
Trigger wise if it's a light gun it's usually for closer (0-300) style shooting and I would go single stage if that is your intent. A good 2 stage is nice for longer shots that may involve a target that moves or otherwise require the shooter to re-set they're poa. Geissele is my go-to but I have had good luck with Timney, Wilson combat and for a budget cmc is decent but I have seen light strikes do to their trigger housing being a bit flimsy. Elfmans are good as long as you don't use a 45° safety, but kinda spendy. I wouldn't go with a sub $100 trigger and expect much difference from a run of the mil trigger.

I kind wanted to save up for a light weight receiever set. Of course there's nothing to stop me down the road from doing that and swapping out components or whatever.
Receiver sets don't weigh much even in "as issued" form.
The barrel is the biggie, in so far as weight is concerned.
There are some heavy buttstocks that you can avoid as well.

Some guys get caught up in shaved this, skeleton that.....chasing fractions of ounces.
I don't buy into that myself.
YMMV

Bolt, Barrel, Trigger, optic. Save your money on everything else.

The BA Hansen barrels are great bang for your buck. I would go with a "semi auto" cut bcg to save some reciprocating weight. I am partial to fail zero bcg's but there are many reputable manufacturers. IMO nickel boron and melonited units have the best resistance to carbon buildup.
Trigger wise if it's a light gun it's usually for closer (0-300) style shooting and I would go single stage if that is your intent. A good 2 stage is nice for longer shots that may involve a target that moves or otherwise require the shooter to re-set they're poa. Geissele is my go-to but I have had good luck with Timney, Wilson combat and for a budget cmc is decent but I have seen light strikes do to their trigger housing being a bit flimsy. Elfmans are good as long as you don't use a 45° safety, but kinda spendy. I wouldn't go with a sub $100 trigger and expect much difference from a run of the mil trigger.

Yeah I assumed $200 range would be doable for me on a trigger. BCG is the last thing I really won't skimp on right now. Thanks for the advice.

Receiver sets don't weigh much even in "as issued" form.
The barrel is the biggie, in so far as weight is concerned.
There are some heavy buttstocks that you can avoid as well.

Some guys get caught up in shaved this, skeleton that.....chasing fractions of ounces.
I don't buy into that myself.
YMMV
Good point on the receiver sets. I've also noticed that the dollar to ounce ratio can become extremely costly the more you try to shave. Buttstock will probably just be a basic Magpul CTR or similar one for now.

So how's the first one shoot ? What holds you back that needs fixed ?

Shoots great. I need to replace the buffer tube. I can manually engage the bolt catch, but it doesn't catch reliably when shooting. After exhaustive internet researching and trial with different buffer and spring, I'm fairly certain it's because the tube is about a quarter inch shallow. I measured it against my 6920, but that's an easy fix. I suppose I should work on that, I just kind of got the build bug again and wanted to do something new.

The POF triggers are great too and a little less expensive.
Good point on the receiver sets. I've also noticed that the dollar to ounce ratio can become extremely costly the more you try to shave. Buttstock will probably just be a basic Magpul CTR or similar one for now.
Mission First Tactical Minimalist is the lightest stock you can get... they are only like $50. I have one on my carbine, and am very happy with it. I have a CTR on my SPR and the MFT is a much tighter fit.

Yeah I assumed $200 range would be doable for me on a trigger. BCG is the last thing I really won't skimp on right now. Thanks for the advice.
Best advice I can give :

BCG
Go to Monmouth Reloading and buy a ToolCraft BCG....they are the OEM for many mfrs as well as the US Gov't.

FCG
Buy the best Geiselle that you can afford.

I have a CTR....decent buttstock.
Be sure to get the milspec version (buttstock and tube) for best results.
Do not monkey with commercial.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top