JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Didn't read but will. Didn't see 'til now. Neat thread.
I'd think a .32 revolver (short long longer longest) would be the winner. I've never loaded for .32 but'd think a 60gr or so SWC or WC would be the ticket.. and a grain or so of the proper powder.
My cheap nail driver has always been .38/.357/9mm 105gr SWC's or blunt 102gr RN's.
The primer is the main cost.. like $20/1000 for primers.

Wandered thru Bi-Mart today looking at ammo (imagine that) and looked through all the powders, primers and bullets. But they had no reloading books!! Do you buy those online from Brownells, Cabelas or Amazon?? Just thought it was funny that they had everything but reloading books.

TIA

Cool thread.

I'll add my 9mm to the list if that's ok.

Extreme Bullets - 1000 bullets at $90 = $0.09 a bullet. Usually order when they have 10% off or free shipping.

Powder = Titegroup 4.0 grain charge. 1pound at $25 7000 grains per pound. 1750 charges per pound. $0.014 per charge of powder. I honestly can't remember the price of the last 4 pound keg I bought. Usually comes out to about 1 cent per charge though.

Primers. Bought bulk online. Wolf 5000 primer case at $80 a piece plus $25 hazmat. Last order was for 15k. 15000 primers @ $265. So $0.017 per primer.

Brass is collected so no charge.

Collectively $0.11 a loaded round.

I'll try to find out what I spent on all my 223 bulk stuff and do that next.

Wandered thru Bi-Mart today looking at ammo (imagine that) and looked through all the powders, primers and bullets. But they had no reloading books!! Do you buy those online from Brownells, Cabelas or Amazon?? Just thought it was funny that they had everything but reloading books.

TIA

I often find them at used bookstores like Powell's, along with reference stuff like Cartridges of the World. Powell's also has an online deal you can check and you can call there. Sometimes handy if you're looking for something obscure and you don't mind used books.

90 gr RMR JHP ($104.00/K) = $0.104 each
W231 @ $25/lb (7000gr/3.2gr per round)=$0.01per round
primers @ $30/k = $0.03ea
recycled brass

so about $0.15 per round or about $7.50 per box of 50.

9MM
124 gr Berry's HBRNTP ($103.11/K) = $0.10 each
VV N320 @ $40/lb (7000 gr/4.0 gr per round) = $0.05 per round
[WSF @ $19.60 per pound(7 k gr/5.0 gr pr rnd) = $.014 pr rnd, just as a comparison]
primers @ $30/k =$0.03 ea
recycled brass

so about $0.18 per round or $9.00 per box [WSF is about $7.00 per box of 50]

Last Edited:
Sorry no numbers here:

I try not to do a cost analyses of any of my hobbies, as I don't engage in them to save money, but rather to enjoy them.
For me, reloading is not about cost per round or being cost effective, and started out loading wildcat calibers used in IHMSA back in the 80's because you couldn't buy them.

I encourage anyone interested in high volume shooting to invest in 22 rim fire guns/ammo and have at it, as that's still the most cost effective way to learn to shoot well.
I still love blowing thru a brick of 22, shooting at my dueling tree, without spending time picking up range mushrooms (brass).

I can never understand the "lightest bullet/smallest amount of powder" type threads that are repeated over and over in most reloading forums I visit.
Putting together components in differing combinations to get the best group size from a specific gun or caliber is why I reload, and what I enjoy.

1st, you'll need to ask yourself this important question, "Am I a shooter who reloads...or a reloader who shoots?"
jmo, Ken

This right here tells me I'm serious about what I do. Do you ever put a price per pound on your hunting or fishing hobby? Neither do I. ;)

I'll have to get back to you when I find the right load data for the AR & 40S&W...:)

This right here tells me I'm serious about what I do. Do you ever put a price per pound on your hunting or fishing hobby? Neither do I. ;)

I'll have to get back to you when I find the right load data for the AR & 40S&W...:)
I remember an old study that said that the average cost per pound of sporting caught salmon was $300/lb.
yikes

Among my favorites.
I have had a fetish for wild cat calibers with brass that is unavailable over the counter. In some calibers lead moulds and sizer's are the only way to achieve the correct bore diameter boolits. Until they all go into one hole at 100 yards I am not done.
Cost? Over forty years of trial and error.
Silver Hand

3 pages of reading through posts and I don't see a hand loading cost calculator. Shaking my head here....

Here's one to start with:
Handloading Cost Calculator

It takes all the guess work out of it. Another thing I see is a lot of guys listing 9mm and .223 rem ammo. You guys aren't saving a whole lot of money loading these, any way you look at it. Sorry. I often hear, "you won't save any money, but will shoot a lot more". This is true in some instances. However, the reason I got into hand loading was because I had 1 rifle and I bought it cheap, but couldn't afford ammo for the dang thing. It was a 300 weatherby magnum. It's these kinds of cartridges where you are going to save a lot of money. Try pricing a box of 300wby ammo now days, you'll see what I'm talking about. Another thing about hand loading is, once you buy the brass you won't have to buy much after that. If you load right, you can use this brass many many times.. You will have to depreciate the value of the brass depending on how many times you will be able to load it. Lets say you know you can get 10 loading from this brass. If it cost you $25.00/50 pcs. That's .50/10= .05/1 ea. piece. That's 5 cents for the brass per loading. Where you will see the most benefit in reduced costs due to handloading is when you load rare cartridges (proprietary, obsolete and wildcats), and most magnum cartridges. Here's a list of cartridges I load for that fill the bill:

1. 9.3x62mm
2. 375H&H
3. 300WBY
4. 6mm rem
5. 300 savage
6. 300WSM
7. 348 winchester

Notice how 308 win, 30-06 and 270 Winchester don't make the list either. I also load for those cartridges, but don't save as much money as I do when loading for the cartridges in the above list.

More savings can be had when buying your components in bulk, and buying seconds from places like SPS. If you don't know what SPS is, you are missing out bigtime!!!!!!!! For me, I've saved thousands of dollars by handloading and have got to shoot a lot more in the process as well.

Lets see. Now to answer the question in the title of the thread. The most cost effective round would probably be my 9.3x62mm shooting 286gr. partitions. The load cost me $10.40/box of 20. If I bought it through Nosler, it's going to cost me $85.90:
NoslerCustom 9.3x62 Mauser 286 grain Partition Ammo (20ct)

That's a grand savings of $75.50 PER/BOX..... Just think, it would have cost me $42.95 to shoot this group, if I were using factory Nosler ammo....:
IMG_0582_zps6ae9ff10.jpg

That's the most simple way I can put the cost savings into perspective for a new hand loader... Hopefully this is making some sense...;)

Last Edited:
3 pages of reading through posts and I don't see a hand loading cost calculator. Shaking my head here....

It takes all the guess work out of it. Another thing I see is a lot of guys listing 9mm and .223 rem ammo. You guys aren't saving a whole lot of money loading these, any way you look at it. Sorry. I often hear, "you won't save any money, but will shoot a lot more". This is true in some instances. However, the reason I got into hand loading was because I had 1 rifle and I bought it cheap, but couldn't afford ammo for the dang thing. It was a 300 weatherby magnum. It's these kinds of cartridges where you are going to save a lot of money. Try pricing a box of 300wby ammo now days, you'll see what I'm talking about. Another thing about hand loading is, once you buy the brass you won't have to buy much after that. If you load right, you can use this brass many many times.. You will have to depreciate the value of the brass depending on how many times you will be able to load it. Lets say you know you can get 10 loading from this brass. If it cost you $25.00/50 pcs. That's .50/10= .05/1 ea. piece. That's 5 cents for the brass per loading. Where you will see the most benefit in reduced costs due to handloading is when you load rare cartridges (proprietary, obsolete and wildcats), and most magnum cartridges. Here's a list of cartridges I load for that fill the bill:

1. 9.3x62mm
2. 375H&H
3. 300WBY
4. 6mm rem
5. 300 savage
6. 300WSM
7. 348 winchester

Notice how 308 win, 30-06 and 270 Winchester don't make the list either. I also load for those cartridges, but don't save as much money as I do when loading for the cartridges in the above list.

More savings can be had when buying your components in bulk, and buying seconds from places like SPS. If you don't know what SPS is, you are missing out bigtime!!!!!!!! For me, I've saved thousands of dollars by handloading and have got to shoot a lot more in the process as well.

Lets see. Now to answer the question in the title of the thread. The most cost effective round would probably be my 9.3x62mm shooting 286gr. partitions. The load cost me $10.40/box of 20. If I bought it through Nosler, it's going to cost me $85.90:

That's a grand savings of $75.50 PER/BOX..... Just think, it would have cost me $42.95 to shoot this group, if I were using factory Nosler ammo....:
View attachment 332688

That's the most simple way I can put the cost savings into perspective for a new hand loader... Hopefully this is making some sense...;)

So what or where is sps?? Can't just drop that in here and not put a link.

So what or where is sps?? Can't just drop that in here and not put a link.

SPS = Shooter's Pro Shop - Bend, OR
Shooter's Pro Shop

From their "About Us" section:

About Shooter's Pro Shop
Shooter's Pro Shop is the only authorized dealer of Nosler Factory Seconds and Over-Runs including Nosler product lines such as SSA, Noveske and Varmageddon. We offer a wide variety of shooting products for sportsmen and women at discounted prices while providing flat rate shipping and discounts to members of the military and first responders.

1. 9.3x62mm
2. 375H&H
3. 300WBY
4. 6mm rem
5. 300 savage
6. 300WSM
7. 348 winchester

View attachment 332688

You missed some of the absolute BEST reasons to handload. The satisfaction, the Zen qualities, peace, tranquility. I'm at piece when I put on my choice of music, put some heat on to keep the room dry and warm, close the door, and start throwing powder and seating bullets. I know it's not the truth, but every finished cartridge I take out of the press and look at, and drop in it's spot feels like it's was free! And so much prettier than commercial made ammo.

SPS = Shooter's Pro Shop - Bend, OR
Shooter's Pro Shop

From their "About Us" section:

About Shooter's Pro Shop
Shooter's Pro Shop is the only authorized dealer of Nosler Factory Seconds and Over-Runs including Nosler product lines such as SSA, Noveske and Varmageddon. We offer a wide variety of shooting products for sportsmen and women at discounted prices while providing flat rate shipping and discounts to members of the military and first responders.

Wonderful!! Thank you, just ordered 150pc of 180gr partitions in the intent of elk season this coming year, and 300 of their 175gr HPBT for paper punching and letting freedom ring from some steel plates.

105$ out the door with 12$ shipping and their 10% sale they have for christmas time (still good till jan 6th)

@bsa1917hunter
I have a cost calculator that I made. it's really simple to use if you know your component costs per whatever quantity. Very simple .xls that anybody could use; I think.

Problem is I cannot upload it here invalid file type.

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 1.38.48 PM.png

I haven't worked out the price of my 9mm and .38 Special loads, but I recently found cheap bullets for them online. I received my order of 1000 each of the below today (Jan. 6th) after placing the order on Dec. 26th.

Source: Z Cast Bulletz (www.jacobeagle.com)

9mm - 124gr LRN for $27.50 per 500

.358 - 158gr LRN or SWC for $29 per 500

Shipping for 2000 bullets was $13.45.

Per-bullet price after shipping is:

9mm - $.06845

.357 - $.07145

If anyone has a cheaper source for these bullets, please post it here!

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads