JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
9mm
RMR 115gr bullets 1000 (78$)
Cost per bullet 16c
No brass in this cost

45acp
RMR 230gr Bullets 1000 ($124)
Cost per bullet 18c
No brass in this cost

Hornady V-max 55gr per 1000 ($19)
Cost per bullet 33c
No Brass in this cost

300 black out
M80 pulled 147gr per 1000 ($218) - http://ammunitionstore.com/
cost per bullet 34c
No Brass in this cost

Hornady SST/Amax 165gr per 100 ($33)
Cost per bullet 45c
No Brass in this cost

M80 pulled 147gr per 1000 ($218) - http://ammunitionstore.com/
cost per bullet 39c
No Brass in this cost - Add .25c for LC bulk brass

Hornady SST/Amax 165gr per 100 ($33)
Cost per bullet 51c

Barnes Match Burner 175gr per 100 ($33)
Cost per bullet 51c

These are current day prices pulled off RMRbullets.com sportsmanswarehouse.com http://ammunitionstore.com/ for the bullets, the powder cost is dependent on type of powder, and primers are all 30$ per 1000

Edit- added the cost for m80 pulled. Also added my old 300 blackout prices. still current to the M80 pulled and also the sst prices. added ammunitionstore website for the pulled ammo also.

Last Edited:
M80 pulled 147gr per 1000 ($218)
cost per bullet ?????

Got a number missing, otherwise, clean and easy to add. Thanks.

@Benchrest
got your info added as well.

I enjoy watching Johnny'sReloadingBench and Fortunecookie45LC on YouTube. If it's to late to cast, load or shoot then watching someone else do it is a close second. Works with Drag Racing and wrenching vids too.

And if you are looking for economical loading, start casting. It is relaxing to do, easy on barrels and saves you a ton in the long run. I shoot very few jacketed rounds.

Nice idea digital.

I also would highly recommend fortunecookie45lc. His videos aren't too long and they get right down to business. He probably has more good info on reloading both standard and old school calibers than just about anybody. He does very good objective equipment reviews also.

I guess without charge & OAL it's just a cost reference, as it seems it was intended to be :)

If it became a load reference then that's an entirely different animal.

Any tips / places to go for a 'reloading 101' ?

The first section of most reloading manuals is a beginner's how-to guide for reloading. Buy one and read it. It will teach you the fundamentals of the process, common issues to look out for, and tell you what equipment you'll need and how to use it.

Nearly every bullet / reloading press / powder manufacturer publishes a reloading manual. Keep in mind that the manual will pimp that manufacturer's goods. I started with Lyman's manual, because it doesn't favor any particular bullet / powder / primer, since Lyman doesn't make those.

I've have never broken down the coast per round. For all my rifle rounds I always load for the best accuracy. Never crossed my mind as to what it costs. All of my hand loads always out perform factory rounds.
I grew up casting all my pistol bullets, so I do find it shocking to see what they cost per 500.

This is a great thread!

@SteveXKR the Speer #14 book is very comprehensive.

Has a bunch in there as well as reloading data.

Sorry no numbers here:

I try not to do a cost analyses of any of my hobbies, as I don't engage in them to save money, but rather to enjoy them.
For me, reloading is not about cost per round or being cost effective, and started out loading wildcat calibers used in IHMSA back in the 80's because you couldn't buy them.

I encourage anyone interested in high volume shooting to invest in 22 rim fire guns/ammo and have at it, as that's still the most cost effective way to learn to shoot well.
I still love blowing thru a brick of 22, shooting at my dueling tree, without spending time picking up range mushrooms (brass).

I can never understand the "lightest bullet/smallest amount of powder" type threads that are repeated over and over in most reloading forums I visit.
Putting together components in differing combinations to get the best group size from a specific gun or caliber is why I reload, and what I enjoy.

1st, you'll need to ask yourself this important question, "Am I a shooter who reloads...or a reloader who shoots?"
jmo, Ken

Anyone have an up-to-date rough price per round on how much .50BMG costs to reload? I like having plinking ammo for mine but most people have quoted $3-4 a shot when I can buy reman cartridges from freedom munitions for $2.50 each.

Monmouthreloading.com has better prices than some of what is listed above. IE 2K Hornady 55 FMJ's or SP or Spires for ~$160 delivered. 0.08 each is pretty good.

Americanreloading.com has some great specials on pulled bullets as well from time to time as well as email coupons and free shipping. They just finished a 25% off site wide sale for memorial day.

338 Lapua: 2016
  • Berger OTM Hybrid 300gr bullets 100 ($89)
  • Cost per bullet 89¢
  • Lapua Brass, bought 1x fired @$1.75/casing, min 10 reloads, 17.5¢
  • Magnum Primer, 3.5¢
  • 90gr H1000 @ $29/lb, 37¢
  • Cost per loaded round: $1.47

338 Edge: 2016
  • Nosler Accubond LR 300gr Overruns, 100 @ $43
  • Cost per bullet: 43¢
  • Norma 7mm RUM brass closeout, 40/box @ $45, min 10 Reloads, 11.3¢
  • Magnum Primer, 3.5¢
  • 94gr Retumbo, $30/lb, 40¢
  • Cost per loaded round: 98¢

308 Winchester: 2016
  • SMK 168gr HPBT Pulls, 500 @ $75 (purchased 2014), 15¢ / bullet
  • Lapua 308 Brass, $74/100, min 10 reloads: 7.4¢
  • WLR Primer: 3.3¢
  • 43gr RL15 powder, $115/5lbs, 14¢/round
  • Cost per loaded round: 40¢

7mm-08: 2016
  • Hornady .284 139gr Interlock, 500 on "Get Loaded" rebate, $8 shipping, 2¢/ea
  • LC 1x fired 7.62 brass, reformed, $100/500 FTF, 6 reloads min: 3.3¢ ea
  • WLR Primer: 3.3¢
  • IMR 4064 @ $23/lb, 43gr, 14¢
  • Cost per Loaded Round: 23¢, ~50¢/ea if you buy the Hornady Interlocks at retail.
7mm LRM: 05/2016
  • Nosler Custom Comp closeouts, 32¢ each
  • Hornady 375 Ruger brass, reformed, $104/100, 4 reloads min, 26¢
  • MRP: 3.5¢
  • Retumbo: 70gr $30/lb, 30¢
  • Cost per Loaded Round: 92¢

@P7id10T thank you for your contributions. I did edit out the charge weights when posting to the first post. Other than that it's nice to see some magnum calibers in the mix that cost an arm and a leg to buy retail. Thank you.

@P7id10T thank you for your contributions. I did edit out the charge weights when posting to the first post. Other than that it's nice to see some magnum calibers in the mix that cost an arm and a leg to buy retail. Thank you.

Thanks. I haven't done any 556, 7RM, 338WM or 416 Rigby in a LONG time, so don't have any of those prices in my head any more (i.e. cannot remember what I paid for the stuff).
Also didn't quote prices for surplus powders, which cut your powder cost by ~2/3.
What I've learned: trade well, watch all the ammo material sites regularly, check the stores shelves too.

Favorite places for materials:
NWFA
Jeff Bartlett
Pat's Reloading
Shooters' Pro Shop (Nosler Outlet)
Barrett Rifles - excellent, quality 1x fired brass source.
Gunbot (check pricing)

I also travel a lot for work, and make a point to stop in at every gun shop I find that's open (that is, when I'm lucky to get out during 9-5 hours). Good people, good stories, so-so prices, and the occasional gem of hard-to-find stuff.

Last Edited:
Give me 25 years and I'll give you my honest compilations.;)

Yah, but in 25 years, you'll look back and curse, "If'n I had loaded all these rounds 25 years ago, think of how much I would have saved!!"

15 years ago, when Precision bullets was moving to a larger facility, I made a deal with them to buy all their drop, discontinued and lot ends in 45 and 40 cal. Hundreds of pounds. IIRC, the shipping was more than what I paid for the bullets. I got out of 45 long ago, but I'm still working through the 40 cal. :)

For my .45 cal. cast bullets, I decided to try and beat the cost of copper gas checks, aprox. $35.00 per k and bought a gas check cutter. $100.00

Right away I found it was very difficult to make the cutter work in my RCBS jr.press, so I bought a 1 ton Arbor press.$50.00 from Harbor frieght.

The Arbor press was great, but the cutter kept falling over, so I had to buy some oversized drills and counter bore the press anvil to hold the cutter. $25.00

Now for material: My local Sears has .014 aluminum flashing 50'x6". You can special order it from their supplier, for $40.00 a roll. Cut into 3/4" wide strips, that's approximately 800 strips per roll.

By being careful, I can punch 8 Gas Checks per strip giving me about 6,400 gas checks per roll. That's a savings of almost $5.00.

At this rate I'll only have to shoot about 6,400 .459 cal. bullets (275lbs of lead) to amortize the cost of making my own gas checks.

After that, THEY'RE FREE !!! woohoo.gif

Been thinking about saving some more money by buying a..... veryconfused.gif

Oh! Can't forget the the cost of Kelvar gloves and a box of Band Aids for handling the cutout scrap material. It's like Razor Wire.

There's also the saving I made by buying a .22lr adapter for my wife's 9mm pistol. ($250.00) Now, I can save a lot on the cost of 9mm....which I reload and don't "buy" anyway...o_O........:D

Maybe next I'll try POWDER COATING and save some more money...:eek:

icon6.png

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show