JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here is a Oregon rifle schedule, OSSA Scedule

The Civilian Marksmanship Program is coming out to Estacada to put on their 2-day Rifle Marksmanship 101 course. It would be a good training for the rifle matches listed on the schedule.

If you are looking for other types of shooting sports, check out the area gun club websites and see what they may have going at their ranges. Most private gun club matches are open to the public to attend. Just make sure you call the organizer before you attend and they are a good source to find out more about it. Both the organizers and shooters at matches want to see people come out and participate and will help you.

I would recommend a speed steel type match. There is no movement or complicated stages. Pretty straight forward.
Several divisions to choose from. Iron's or optic. Pistol or rifle (carbine/PCC). Rimfire or centerfire. I always recommend a good reliable .22 carbine such as a Ruger 10/22 or S&W 15-22 with a red dot to start off with. This gives the new shooter the best chance for success and a good baseline for how they may want to proceed with future competitions. Here are some steel matches that I have personal experience with.

#1 Tri County Gun Club. Sherwood, OR
(Speed Steel) 1st Sunday of every month. Check the club calendar on their website.
This match would probably be the closest to you, but I prefer Albany to this match. See below.

#2 Albany Rifle and Pistol Club. Shedd, OR
(Speed Steel) 4th Sunday of every month. Check the club's calendar for more info.

Douglas Ridge Rifle Club. Eagle Creek, OR
Rimfire challenge (Steel). Rimfire match only, No centerfire!
Held on Saturday's quarterly. Check the club's calendar for more info.

The DRRC match is the 30th of this month. OP, it you can make it, I highly recommend coming out to watch. Plenty of good folks at all the above matches who also happen to be members here on the forum that would be more than happy to answer and questions you may have.

I started my competition journey just over 6 years ago with my 1st match ever (Speed Steel) at TCGC. I made a similar thread as you did and ended up shooting that match with a fellow member here on the forum who graciously mentored me. I have never looked back! Come on in, the water is fine! :)

I agree with Spook, start with a Speed Steel match. Great way to get introduced into competition. After that you might try IDPA, and then USPSA. Multigun if you are so inclined. I'm not a rifle shooter so I can't help you there. Check club calendars and send any questions you have to the match director.

+1 for the speed steel recommendation. I shot my first ever pistol match at the last DRRC rimfire challenge, and loved it. It was a little intimidating at first, seeing that many people show up for it, but all were more than welcoming and friendly, willing to help. Actually ended up squaded with NWGlockgal and she was very helpful!

Another option is to come watch a match or two before participating. You will learn a ton in a 1/2 day at the match watching and asking questions, about what you may need or what types of competitions may or may not be for you

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top