JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tri-Cities is not a problem....will followup. Thanks.
Range website: https://www.tcsa.info/
Scroll down left-hand sidebar for calendar.
This month's match is on the 19th.

Matches are very well-run, the COF is always interesting, and everyone's fun to be around.
We generally can field about 6 or 7 of the 8 divisions represented by USPSA.
You'll shoot about 130-150 rounds, depending upon the COF for that day.
Would love to have you come out!

Last Edited:
Id check out an ASI match in your area. Our club in Renton Wa. hosts ASI (Action Shooting International) on the second Saturday of the month. Its lots of fun and not as many technical rules as IDPA. I have yet to see any type of safe handgun that is not legal. Safety is the key, learn good skills and faster times will come. There are lots of great people who are willing to help and get the new peeps going in the right direction. Men, women, young, and old people of all skill levels wanting to improve. We had over 100 participants last month, you can search it on Practiscore too.

I will add that my range also does a Speed Steel shoot on the 1st Sunday of every month.

Should've added that when I put up my last post, but I limited it to USPSA since that's where @Mathias' interest seemed to be in this post.

Spoke with Paul from IDPA yesterday. What an all around great guy to talk to. It sounds like there is quite a lot I need to work on before entering any sort of competitions. I think I could be ready after maybe 6 months of consistent training. Looking forward to getting there.
What kinds of things did you learn you needed to work on before entering a competition?

Safety and solid gun handling skills.
:Having muzzle control when your concentrating on something else

:index of finger (off trigger) when not shooting

: Safe draw and HOLSTERING

My suggestion is to work on more dry fire, non shooting skills than to do live fire.

The SO's don't really care where your hits are, as long as you navigate the course safely.
Absolutely true! The people running the match (and the people shooting the match) DGAFF what your score is.
They only care that they aren't going to accidentally get shot (or accidentally shoot someone else).
Safe gun handling and muzzle control is the order of the day.

For my very first competition, I had only ONE GOAL... and that was to not get DQ'ed.
I was nervous as hell for most of the shoot, but I met my goal.
Then, I got hooked...

Last Edited:
I had the same mindset when I 1st started out doing competitions. "Don't be that guy".
Knock on wood, I have never been DQ'ed (for safety or otherwise) in the nearly 6 years of competing at speed steel matches and a couple of recent USPSA matches.

My tip of the day: Competitions are obviously competitive in nature. Don't allow yourself to get suckered into shooting faster than your skill set will allow.

Now get on that dry fire and then jump into a match, the water is fine! :)

I had the same mindset when I 1st started out doing competitions. "Don't be that guy".
Knock on wood, I have never been DQ'ed (for safety or otherwise) in the nearly 6 years of competing at speed steel matches and a couple of recent USPSA matches.

My tip of the day: Competitions are obviously competitive in nature. Don't allow yourself to get suckered into shooting faster than your skill set will allow.

Now get on that dry fire and then jump into a match, the water is fine! :)
Comin' up on 3 years myself, without a DQ. (knocks on rosewood pistol grips) :)

I worked with a guy who hated TCGC, come to find out he got DQ'd from a shooting competition for pointing his muzzle up. Some old guys need to unlearn habits.
I have never shot at TCGC nor have I ever been there, but Points #1 and #3 come from members' posts on this board and some posts in this very thread...

1. TCGC has a rule that the muzzle is not to be pointed such that its line of sight would be over the berm.
2. USPSA rules allow that the muzzle can be pointed up while transitioning between targets.
3. TCGC DQs a guy for pointing the muzzle "over the berm" (muzzle was pointing up).
4. USPSA rules allow for the muzzle to be pointed up, which would be "over the berm" at TCGC.

I don't think this is a case of "some old guys need to unlearn habits", but rather that TCGC should not host USPSA matches, since TCGC's rules are not in concert with USPSA match rules. I think TCGC stopped hosting USPSA matches as a result of the incongruity between their range rules and the sport's rules. Seems like a viable option.

I have never shot at TCGC nor have I ever been there, but Points #1 and #3 come from members' posts on this board and some posts in this very thread...

1. TCGC has a rule that the muzzle is not to be pointed such that its line of sight would be over the berm.
2. USPSA rules allow that the muzzle can be pointed up while transitioning between targets.
3. TCGC DQs a guy for pointing the muzzle "over the berm" (muzzle was pointing up).
4. USPSA rules allow for the muzzle to be pointed up, which would be "over the berm" at TCGC.

I don't think this is a case of "some old guys need to unlearn habits", but rather that TCGC should not host USPSA matches, since TCGC's rules are not in concert with USPSA match rules. I think TCGC stopped hosting USPSA matches as a result of the incongruity between their range rules and the sport's rules. Seems like a viable option.
I was a member for Years, watched it become a WorldClass facility, Lots of cool things. The people with the money who Don't like guns are moving in around the facility. Lots of people waiting for TCGC to make a mistake so they can get it closed. Allowing the area police to use the action pits helps but means lots of range time not available for members. Final straw for me was not allowing me to shoot side by side through a Conex with my nonmember friend at the same time. That rule made zero sense to me as my friend would have to turn 90 degrees to be unsafe. It just didn't have the same feel anymore as when I used to go down and shoot with my daughter in that indoor .22 range 10 at night. Nice facilities but the attitude of some leaders at the time was sketchy...got yelled at for daring to question an officer I did Not know for tailgating me through the gate instead of swiping his card. Just followed him to the office to check if he was a member and he came on a bit strong lets say, who was I to question him! I quit.

I was a member for Years, watched it become a WorldClass facility, Lots of cool things. The people with the money who Don't like guns are moving in around the facility. Lots of people waiting for TCGC to make a mistake so they can get it closed.
There's the first problem, right there. same thing happened to Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club. Club had been there since 1926. People with money moved in nearby, knowing full well that there was a range next door. Then those same people complain to County COmmissioners and judges. Kitsap County, having a lot of Blues in positions of power, ultimately ruled in favor of the monied transplants and slapped a moratorium on shooting at the range. The range sued, but without money coming in from members' dues, said members that now could no longer shoot at the range, the club's revenue stream to fight the moratorium in court dried up. The transplants won, and a local institution that almost reached a century in business is now silent...
Nice facilities but the attitude of some leaders at the time was sketchy...got yelled at for daring to question an officer I did Not know for tailgating me through the gate instead of swiping his card. Just followed him to the office to check if he was a member and he came on a bit strong lets say, who was I to question him! I quit.
Wow, that seems like the "leadership" of the place went to sh*t. that's on them...
And that guy that piggybacked on you through the gate is an asshat, pure and simple.

There's the first problem, right there. same thing happened to Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club. Club had been there since 1926. People with money moved in nearby, knowing full well that there was a range next door. Then those same people complain to County COmmissioners and judges. Kitsap County, having a lot of Blues in positions of power, ultimately ruled in favor of the monied transplants and slapped a moratorium on shooting at the range. The range sued, but without money coming in from members' dues, said members that now could no longer shoot at the range, the club's revenue stream to fight the moratorium in court dried up. The transplants won, and a local institution that almost reached a century in business is now silent...

Wow, that seems like the "leadership" of the place went to sh*t. that's on them...
And that guy that piggybacked on you through the gate is an asshat, pure and simple.
I wish I could blame one thing, I never considered paying to shoot the first 30 years of my life! like camping in Oregon used to be peaceful and free< pick a peaceful spot and put up a tent. grew up like that and I damn sure miss it! Tualatin is now Blue as is Beaverton, last election the current New commissioner was campaigning in my hood. She told me if I wanted it to stay like it was vote for the incumbent if I wanted progress vote for her:s0066:

I met lots of really good people at TCGC, I don't mean to imply that more than a couple of interactions were bad. I believe in gun safety, but when the rules are for the dumbest guy in the club...and the Urban Growth boundry now surrounds you. Hundreds of soon to be satisfied customers moved up one spot and they have had a waiting list for years.

IF you got some mobility challenges......
You could try.....

2700 Match shooting.

And.....the good part is.....
There really is no need for an elaborate set up, just to practice.

Aloha, Mark

When I joined TCGC the Gentleman giving our orientation explained if we saw a shooter step in front of the firing line and raise their firearm, "step up behind them and ButtStroke them" I loved THAT club!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top