JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's all Greek to me. Not familiar with any Levels. The Classifier used to put people in A/B/C/D and then of course there were the Grand Masters.
"Level" refers to the match setting, near as I can figure it out.
Level I is regular club matches at your local range scheduled throughout the year (like, monthly at my range or nearby ranges in other cities).
Level II is Sectional or State matches that are run once annually.
Level III is a USPSA championship match that is run annually.
So, as you can see, I'm trying to be a Level I shooter. I don't consider myself near good enough to go to a State match just yet, even before the operation.
I'm chuckling. At you, not with you. ;)
I get that a lot... :oops:
Last year we had an old boy, I'm getting there myself, that would often wave his gun around and gesticulate with it, just shy of breaking the 180. We were doing an El Presidente and he drew w/o turning around... had the entire gallery diving for cover!!! It wasn't his first match DQ for safety, so he was disinvited from ever coming to matches again. Last match a diff old boy on my squad got a match DQ for breaking the 180, but I didn't see what happened. It was during some lateral movement is all I know.
Crikey! :eek:
My very first match, my only goal was to get out of the match without DQ'ing myself.
I managed to do that, and managed to place 42nd overall out of 50 shooters. Only one dude got a DQ that day.
We run 6-8 stages with a total shot count of 80-120rds, so yeah, USPSA is not for po folk like me. Glad you like it tho!!
It was a lot cheaper before the 'Rona, when a .40 S&W RNFP reman was about 19 to 21 cents... :oops:

Does anyone have any detailed lnformation on PractiScore? They claim to track data on 700 clubs. Seems pretty handy.
Oh, it seems to be very handy for the Match Director and scorekeeps. The last match I attended they were promoting it heavily as a way to make sure we don't have a big clogup in the morning and can start on time.

I was thinking about using it to sign up for the next match, I never like to make a firm decision prior to match day, and the powers that be emailed me my score in some file that I can't even read... maybe they trying to tell me somesing.

"Level" refers to the match setting, near as I can figure it out.
Level I is regular club matches at your local range scheduled throughout the year (like, monthly at my range or nearby ranges in other cities).
Level II is Sectional or State matches that are run once annually.
Level III is a USPSA championship match that is run annually.
So, as you can see, I'm trying to be a Level I shooter. I don't consider myself near good enough to go to a State match just yet, even before the operation.
Ok, that makes more sense now... thx. Tri-Cities does host level II matches sometimes, yes? And Boise has had some pretty big ones.

My very first match, my only goal was to get out of the match without DQ'ing myself.
I managed to do that, and managed to place 42nd overall out of 50 shooters. Only one dude got a DQ that day.
That is becoming more my goal at IDPA all the time as I age... just don't f'up. I'm a mediocre shooter in IDPA too, most often placing in the middle of a pack of 20-30 shooters.

It was a lot cheaper before the 'Rona, when a .40 S&W RNFP reman was about 19 to 21 cents...
Dang it! I don't buy reman, but I had so much trouble with my reloads last match, that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and spend more $$$ or go back to single stage reloading prior to the next match. I was shooting only factory ammo when I could still get 9mm for $8-$12 but have refused to buy it at scalper pricing. Anything interupts my process on the Dillon and I get messed up, so I had a squib, which screws any decent score... fortunately I was granted a reshoot, but when the G34 broke, I had to go to the car for my back up gun and the group moved on and I got a DNF for that stage.

Ok, that makes more sense now... thx. Tri-Cities does host level II matches sometimes, yes? And Boise has had some pretty big ones.
Yes, at least once a year we get a "big" EWUSPSA (Eastern Washington) Level II match that draws competitors from all over. We routinely see folks from all over WA, OR, CA, ID, and even farther afield for those matches
That is becoming more my goal at IDPA all the time as I age... just don't f'up. I'm a mediocre shooter in IDPA too, most often placing in the middle of a pack of 20-30 shooters.
Yup, same place for me, before the operation. I'm probably worse now than my very first match, since my speed is gonna be next to zero... :rolleyes:
Dang it! I don't buy reman, but I had so much trouble with my reloads last match, that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and spend more $$$ or go back to single stage reloading prior to the next match. I was shooting only factory ammo when I could still get 9mm for $8-$12 but have refused to buy it at scalper pricing. Anything interupts my process on the Dillon and I get messed up, so I had a squib, which screws any decent score... fortunately I was granted a reshoot, but when the G34 broke, I had to go to the car for my back up gun and the group moved on and I got a DNF for that stage.
Well, that surely sux... :oops:

I don't yet own a shotgun but when I get one, and get some trigger time on it I'm thinking I want to try some 3 gun,

The people that own Emerald Valley armory In Creswell Oregon put on 3 gun comps.

Emerald Valley Armory

147 West Oregon Avenue, Creswell, Oregon 97426, United States

(541) 895-2666

There also Douglas Ridge up in Eagle Creek

That does three gun

Since I'm being sidelined from Jiu Jitsu for a while, due to neck issues. I thought it would be fun to train for and enter a shooting competition. Can anyone recommend where I should start? Are there beginner divisions in most competitions?

Forgive me if this thread has been done too much. I just need some sort of competition to look forward to if I can't be competing in martial arts.
Where did you train?

I lived up in Portland for a few years i trained at quest for a bit, then Braveheart, Curts ultimate fitness, Alive MMA, and did drop ins at quite a few other gyms, I miss it.

Since I'm being sidelined from Jiu Jitsu for a while, due to neck issues. I thought it would be fun to train for and enter a shooting competition. Can anyone recommend where I should start? Are there beginner divisions in most competitions?

Forgive me if this thread has been done too much. I just need some sort of competition to look forward to if I can't be competing in martial arts.
My recommendation before any competitions.

Get yourself a timer. An app on your cell phone might be enough.

Train with the stress of the timer.

You do need to be confident you are safe, while under stress.

If possible have someone watch your gun handling.

With limited distance see if you can hit a smaller target - say a 3in/3in Post-it note at 10 feet. 4in round target at 10 feet is one of those NRA standards.

If you don't like the speed aspect, something like Bullseye might be a good choice.

I also recommend Steel - speed steel / steel challenge - as an excellent competition.

Several people recommended Tri-County and I would too,
the biggest complaint we see on this forum is about the rules -
https://tcgc.org/the-club/safety-and-range-rules/

Also, remember it is a Club and NOT open to the public. You cannot just go and shoot. For competitions, you are the guest of the Match Director.

We all start as beginners. All of the USPSA or IDPA matches in the area welcome new people. Drop the match director a note and let them know you are a beginner and they will help you get started.

IDPA is the first Saturday of the month at TCGC
USPSA Matches are 2nd Saturday in Albany, 3rd Sunday at TCGC, and 4th Saturday in Dundee.
And Wa state?

And Wa state?
There's a USPSA match every third Sunday of the month at my range.
Might be a bit far for you, but then again, we get folks coming up from as far south as Grants Pass and Klamath Falls.
Sometimes even from Kalifauxnia...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads