JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since I'm being sidelined from Jiu Jitsu for a while, due to neck issues. I thought it would be fun to train for and enter a shooting competition. Can anyone recommend where I should start? Are there beginner divisions in most competitions?

Forgive me if this thread has been done too much. I just need some sort of competition to look forward to if I can't be competing in martial arts.

We all start as beginners. All of the USPSA or IDPA matches in the area welcome new people. Drop the match director a note and let them know you are a beginner and they will help you get started.

IDPA is the first Saturday of the month at TCGC
USPSA Matches are 2nd Saturday in Albany, 3rd Sunday at TCGC, and 4th Saturday in Dundee.

We all start as beginners. All of the USPSA or IDPA matches in the area welcome new people. Drop the match director a note and let them know you are a beginner and they will help you get started.

IDPA is the first Saturday of the month at TCGC
USPSA Matches are 2nd Saturday in Albany, 3rd Sunday at TCGC, and 4th Saturday in Dundee.
Awesome! Thanks for the info!

Spoke with Paul from IDPA yesterday. What an all around great guy to talk to. It sounds like there is quite a lot I need to work on before entering any sort of competitions. I think I could be ready after maybe 6 months of consistent training. Looking forward to getting there.

Spoke with Paul from IDPA yesterday. What an all around great guy to talk to. It sounds like there is quite a lot I need to work on before entering any sort of competitions. I think I could be ready after maybe 6 months of consistent training. Looking forward to getting there.
TCGC also has a practical pistol match that is very relaxed, slow speed.
If your safe with your draw, holster and muzzle discipline then your good to go for IDPA as well.

I'm jot sure how they run it, but my club has many newer shooters. We use praticescore and you can basically chart your progress against your past self, rather than worry about winning, until you're ready to win. We shoot in mixed groups and the program sorts it all out. Great way to learn from the really good shooters.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, ARPC has speed steel matches the 4th Sunday of the month. While I shoot both steel matches at TCGC and ARPC, I prefer shooting the ARPC match and no longer recommend TCGC steel matches. YMMV

Speed Steel at both clubs are a great avenue for new shooters to get into the shooting sports. No running and gunning, all shooting is done from the shooter's box.
As already stated, just about any gun (carbine or pistol, .22 or centerfire) will work. No need for fancy equipment either.

I prefer to shoot the matches with my tricked out AR9. The ammo crunch of the past year and a half has me using my tricked out 15-22 for the most part though. Most folks do better starting off with a .22 carbine (Ruger 10/22 or similar) with a red dot. Once you get a couple matches under your belt, you can decide if you want to try your luck with a centerfire pistol (S&W, Sig, Glock etc.)

While my squad loves to compete and talk chit all match long, we don't take ourselves too seriously either!

Go here for TCGC speed steel match info.

Hope to see you out there! :)

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, ARPC has speed steel matches the 4th Sunday of the month. While I shoot both steel matches at TCGC and ARPC, I prefer shooting the ARPC match and no longer recommend TCGC steel matches. YMMV

Speed Steel at both clubs are a great avenue for new shooters to get into the shooting sports. No running and gunning, all shooting is done from the shooter's box.
As already stated, just about any gun (carbine or pistol, .22 or centerfire) will work. No need for fancy equipment either.

I prefer to shoot the matches with my tricked out AR9. The ammo crunch of the past year and a half has me using my tricked out 15-22 for the most part though. Most folks do better starting off with a .22 carbine (Ruger 10/22 or similar) with a red dot. Once you get a couple matches under your belt, you can decide if you want to try your luck with a centerfire pistol (S&W, Sig, Glock etc.)

While my squad loves to compete and talk chit all match long, we don't take ourselves too seriously either!

Go here for TCGC speed steel match info.

Hope to see you out there! :)
As a noobie to tcgc speed steel, and with no comparison, can I ask what you dislike about it or prefer at ARPC?

I'd rather not re-hash it on an open forum.
I have no problem with discussing it via pm though. Let me just say the Albany match is a better run match IMHO.

I'm not saying folks should not go out to shoot speed steel TCGC, just that if asked, I won't recommend it personally.

I will go on record and say that the IDPA and USPSA matches at TCGC are all squared away, no issues there. Both match director's are solid guys!

Look at speed steel matches. Low equipment requirements and no movement, so easy to get started.

TCGC has them on the 1st Sunday of every month. http://orss.org/

Douglas Ridge has them as well. http://www.douglasridge.org/speed_steel.html
Handgun will be much easier on your neck. I got stenosis in neck, experience typing here, but I am much faster with the 10/22. Speed steel is where most of us started, sorta like a gateway drug! trgc and arpc host excellent matches.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews