Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Before you spend $350-400 on a handgun

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by fromotoc, Aug 4, 2009.

1. fromotoc

fromotoc Downtown Portland, OR Member

Ok, there are a bunch of guns locally that are in the $350-400 range, that are old surplus or crap made guns, or are a Taurus or Bersa or Rugers. LISTEN-You can get a used Glock, Beretta or Springfield or Rock Island 1911 in the same caliber for the same price. CHECK AROUND before you buy. Check AR15.com, gunbroker.com, glocktalk.com and everywhere else you think to look. If you are a newb, especially, please don't spend $400 on a used taurus or star or surplus gun. They are fine guns, but you can get a much better gun, made out of better materials, by looking around a bit. And having a gun shipped to you is not a hassle at all, you just let your FFL know to send their info to the FFL or individual who will be shipping it, you pay the seller, they ship it, you pick it up at your FFL.

FOR INSTANCE there are used Beretta 96d Centurions on ar15.com for $299 delivered. Seller is 44mag.

2. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

Also be aware the the seller may need to ship thorough an FFL (+-$30), pay for actual shipping (+-20) and the receiving FFL(+-$30) so add about $80 for a gun you've never seen. And remember a lot of seller consider the gun sold once you've paid for it, no returns.

I don't mean to discourage anyone looking to buy online, just know what you are getting into before you plop down your hard earned cash.:)

3. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

I just have to wonder about these "crap made guns"
    Even consider an economy brand: Phoenix. Surprise!
    They are priced accordingly...
    If that's all you can afford, it's alot better than a pocket knife!
    * I think we have to be careful about sounding elitist.*

4. CEF1959

CEF1959 Willamette Valley, Oregon New Member

I'd be really interested to hear about your technical qualifications for judging the quality of firearms or the materials that go into them. You must be an expert that has studied the subject carefully. Probably a degree in metallurgy? Maybe a specialty in firearms metallurgy and manufacturing?

So lay it out: What makes a "crap made gun" and what makes you qualified to make that judgment?

5. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

Better yet just buy what you want. I had a Kimber that the slide cracked after a 100 rounds and Kimbers are not crap. Just like cars from the Benz to the Kia and in between they all fail at some point. Prices are different but all people like different things so buy what YOU want and makes you happy.

6. CEF1959

Or consider alternative uses for your money. Let's assume you want a new 1911. You could get a Taurus PT1911 for about $600 or a Colt Gold Cup for about $1000. Would you be stupid to buy the Taurus? If you buy the Taurus, you could also take your beautiful wife away for a nice weekend for the price of the Colt alone. Or the Taurus plus a good home defense shotty or decent used AK47. Or the Taurus plus that basketball camp your son so badly wants to go to. Or the Taurus plus a fishing trip with your father for his birthday.

If the Taurus weren't a perfectly good firearm, it might be stupid to buy it. But it's a fine gun. Not the Gold Cup, but you get a free fishing trip with your father with the Taurus.

7. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Good point and I agree, but what I gathered from the OP is that there are higher quality guns avialable out there for the same price.

8. CEF1959

Maybe. But how do you know they're higher quality? Lot's of "great deals" out there on the internet. Some work out. Some don't. I value dealing with local people whose product I can actually look at before parting with my money. Plus, one of the great things about a FTF transaction is that you don't have to file paperwork with the government -- or pay for the FFL fee and background check on this end -- typically $35-40.

9. Descendant

Descendant Eugene, Oregon Member

I prefer to keep it local when I can.

+1 on a FTF meeting to view/inspect weapon.

I will pay a little more, within reason, to keep my Oregon money in Oregon.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  10. JAFO

JAFO OR, USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I'd like to hear what qualifications you have that make your opinion valuable but not the OP's.

11. Nightshade

Nightshade vancouver,WA Well-Known Member

I once bought a FEG 9mm shot great still shoots great to this day 15 yrs later
    portland gun show in the day when we could buy and walk. 165.00

12. cameronhu

cameronhu Ridgefield, Wa Member

Aside from the "crap gun" comment, I believe the OP brings up a good point. Buying a firearm can be an intimidating thing for some folks. Purchasing one through a site like gunbroker.com (which is a sponsor, by the way) may seem a bit more intimidating.

As was previously mentioned, you have to add in the cost of shipping ($20-$50 if it is shipped legally) and transfer fees ($20-$35) plus tax if your FFL requires it. Add another 3-4% if paying by credit card or a couple bucks for a USPS money order or two and a few more to send your MO certified mail. You also have to wait anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks to get the firearm, and you run the risk of getting something other than you were expecting (although I personally never have - knock wood).

That being said, there are definitely deals to be had, and buying online is a lot simpler than it seems. I've purchased firearms from gunbroker.com that I frankly couldn't find locally. I've also purchased a couple that ended up being in the neighborhood of $200-$300 less than what I've seen comparable guns going for around town.

I agree, buying locally is better - And it is the _first_ place I look when considering a purchase. But a person shopping for a good firearm shouldn't be dissuaded from using an online seller out of ignorance or fear.

13. kevlar

kevlar Mt.Angel Active Member

It seems like everytime an opinion is posted on here someone has to pick it apart and make it out to be what its not.
    He was just saying shop around there may be something better for the same price.
    Its good advice!
    but no tear it down rip it to shreds
    hes a jerk
    has to be overly qualified to have an opinion...
    chill.....

14. durango#95

durango#95 Medford New Member

OK, I MUST chime in on this one! I Own/have owned many guns, from top shelf to $49.99 specials. "crap made guns" for the most part is a bunch of BS. I had a Jennings .22LR, went bang EVERY time. I now have 2, yes 2 Hipoints, they go bang, every time, and they are very accurate as well. Do they look good? NO! Do they have any re-sale? NO! But will they save mine & my family's life if called on? YES! I carry a Glock 19 every day, because I have it, and I like it. But if I did not have it, I would carry my Hipoint without a problem. When picking out a gun, one of the things I like to look at is the warranty, and the customer support. I will call a gun mfgr. and claim to have a problem BEFORE I buy there product and see what kind of answers and service I get on the phone. Are there junk guns out there? YES! Are all the guns the web claims to be, junk? No. Just do a little research on your own before you buy, make an educated decision, on price & mfgr., and don't make choices based on what is cool right now. I have seen high end high dollar guns that were not worth the steel they were machined out of for reliability. In hand guns more than any other product out there, you do not always get what you pay for, new or used.
    [RANT/off] :)
    Just my $0.02, take it for what it's worth;)

15. fromotoc

Qualifications? I've bought and sold many, many guns and shot most of them (I'm not going to give the number for the same reason I don't post pics of my guns on the world wide web). Seriously, how does saying there are better deals out there if you look require qualification? It's called the open market. Crap guns are just that, crap guns. I have had numerous jennings and pheonix's and some davis', and almost all of them sucked. Bad machine marks, rough edges, lots of failures to feeds and failures to fire. There is a reason they are priced so low, and quality is the biggest factor. Also, if you buy a cheaper used glock or beretta or sig you have a much better resale value. The market pre-obama was a good reflection of this, now post-obama it seems like alot of the $150-200 guns (pre-obama) are sold for $300-400. I really don't know why you (CEF) took offense to what I said, I'm giving good advice. I think you might be taking wichaka's qualification advice a little too far. Obviously there are crap guns, there are crap anything in any kind of commodity.

I don't have anything against tauruses, you can find most of them new at keiths in the $325ish range. They are good guns, I just think glocks and berettas and other mid name brands are better for about the same price.

Buying on gunbroker of course involves other fees, which kills it alot of times for me. Yet I have found things on there that were worth purchasing.

Bottom line, just do your research before you buy.

16. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

I think the problem is op was speaking in absolutes and calling certain brands crap . i think the point is (and a good point it is) shop around and research and get the best gun for the money lots of good deals to be found if you shop around but kind of went about it the wrong way and insulting some brands such as taurus and rugers ect which also insults owners of taurus and rugers ect .

i have shot a Glock and a cheap surplus Cz52 and my favorite to shoot is the Cz even tough the Glock is sexier and cost 3x more and if i could only have one i would probably pick the Cz cause its more fun to shoot cause its cheaper to shoot and never had a issue

my best friend and my uncle each own ruger 9mm and they shoot great realiably and accuratly and calling them crap cause they don't have that NAME BRAND on it is wrong and unfair

however i have owned a $99 special and it would have made a better club than a gun , i could hit my target better by throwing it than shooting it

17. Weebs

Weebs Clackamas County Member

Surplus gun = crap gun = sig p6?

Everything has perspective... A $350 - $400 p6 is a GREAT GUN and a SURPLUS GUN!!!!!!!!

18. fromotoc

No=No=No

The P6's are great. I love surplus guns. But mosin's aren't worth $300.

19. paulncharly2572

paulncharly2572 Salem, OR Member

I have to say that I'm no fan of Jennings or Hi-Point,but the absolute sorriest and most unreliable gun that I have ever owned was a Colt Series 70 that I bought new some years ago.Regardless of what ammo I used,it would stovepipe about every 2-3rds.Tried some different mags;still a POS. What I learned from this is that spending a lot of $$$ does not mean much.I'm now a firm believer in Glock,but the most dependable pistol I've ever owned at any price is my Stoeger Cougar .40S&W that I paid $360 for.

20. Andy

Andy Aurora, OR Active Member