JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Just so you know...

How many ways can you spell G R E E D?

THINK BEFORE YOU DONATE!

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT BEFORE YOU MAKE CONTRIBUTIONS: As you open your pockets to do a good thing and make yourself feel good, please keep the following facts in mind:

The American Red Cross
President and CEO Marsha J. Evans'
salary for the year was $651,957 plus expenses
MARCH OF DIMES
It is called the March of Dimes because
only a dime for every 1 dollar is given to the needy.
The United Way
President Brian Gallagher
receives a $375,000 base salary along with numerous expense benefits.
UNICEF
CEO Caryl M. Stern receives
$1,200,000 per year (100k per month) plus all expenses including a ROLLS ROYCE.
Less than 5 cents of your donated dollar goes to the cause.
GOODWILL
CEO and owner Mark Curran profits $2.3 million a year.Goodwill is a very catchy name for his business.
You donate to his business and then he sells the items for PROFIT. He pays nothing for his products and pays his workers minimum wage! Nice Guy. $0.00 goes to help anyone!
Stop giving to this man.
Instead, give it to ANY OF THE FOLLOWING
GO "GREEN" AND PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE IT WILL DO SOME GOOD:
The Salvation Army
Commissioner, Todd Bassett receives a small salary of only
$13,000 per year(plus housing) for managing this $2 billion dollar organization.
96 percent of donated dollars go to the cause.
The American Legion
National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary.
Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!
The Veterans of Foreign Wars
The Disabled American Veterans
The Military Order of Purple Hearts
National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary
The Vietnam Veterans Association
Make a Wish: For children's last wishes.
100% goes to funding trips or special wishes for a dying child.
St. Jude Research Hospital
100% goes towards funding and helping Children with Cancer who have no insurance and cannot afford to pay.
Ronald McDonald Houses
All monies go to running the houses for parents who have critical Children in the hospital.
100% goes to housing, and feeding the families.
Lions Club International
100% OF DONATIONS GO TO HELP THE BLIND,BUY HEARING AIDES, SUPPORT MEDICAL MISSIONS AROUND THE WORLD. THEIR LATEST UNDERTAKING
IS MEASLES VACCINATIONS (ONLY $1.00 PER SHOT).

Please share this with everyone you can.

Consider too, the general overhead (operating costs) that diminish "put-through," the actual amount that goes into research or whatever it is the organization does.

I believe that charities are required to disclose their overhead percentage. They all do in the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) catalogs handed out annually to Military and Federal employees.

Having lost more than a few friends to diabetes mellitus type 2 and cancer, I tend to donate. But when it comes down to two very similar charities, I'm more inclined to give money to the one that absorbs 3% of my gift over the one that takes 20%.

Beyond that, I can only guess how effectively the funds are used once operating costs are paid.

mcdonald house is a really awsome deal. my cousins son was born with heart defects need 3 open heart surgeries by the time he was six.They live in nor cal and uc davis was only hospital that could handle it.So they were there 8 weeks at a time and would have been living in their car other wise.

People want to write a check to feel better about themselves only. A charitable person should/would find someone worthy of charity and help them. You don't have to go to some organization to do that. We all know a friend of a friend or a guy down the street that could really need help. XXX Inc is not required.

Heartlessness toward the homeless in America is at an all time high also. One Lawmaker Is Literally Smashing The Belongings Of The Homeless With A Sledgehammer

We could all be homeless tomorrow and suffer that sort of vile inhumanity.

You have to laugh that California cities are now giving free one-way bus passes to homeless people to ship them up to Portland.

<broken link removed>

People want to write a check to feel better about themselves only. A charitable person should/would find someone worthy of charity and help them. You don't have to go to some organization to do that. We all know a friend of a friend or a guy down the street that could really need help. XXX Inc is not required.

Heartlessness toward the homeless in America is at an all time high also. One Lawmaker Is Literally Smashing The Belongings Of The Homeless With A Sledgehammer

We could all be homeless tomorrow and suffer that sort of vile inhumanity.

Law maker should be charged with vandalism, theft (depriving the homeless of their property should fall under theft laws in most states), harassment, menacing - whatever. Sick bastard.

It's hard sometimes to differentiate between honest to god homeless people, and lazy scam artists. The off ramp urchins are usually scammers.

Real homeless people are usually dirty, their clothes are dirty, and they're a lot more thankful for anything donated to them - be it food, cash, clothes. The scammers typically only want your money.

I've had some interesting chats with real homeless folk I've encountered while working (used to sit and wait for service calls at a couple parking areas in downtown ptld) - most of them were honest about why they're homeless. One guy said it's his choice - he can't hold down a job due to his alcohol and substance abuse issues and it's easier to live on the streets and get his fix when he can. The substance abuse is a common theme for why a lot of them wound up on the streets.

One guy told me his family gave him the boot and wouldn't have anything to do with him anymore because he couldn't / wouldn't get clean & sober. He occasionally pan handles, or does small jobs for cash to get by. Slept under shrubs in the summer, tried finding a way to get under an over pass during the winter. ODOT has made it harder for them to get under over passes with the metal grates they installed.

A person who wants to make a small difference in the life of a poor person could donate money to charity and have most of it go to salaries and overhead, or they can go buy a grocery sack of food, a warm coat, a new pair of shoes or a blanket and give directly and see real results of their charity. You can donate food to the food bank or church run food pantries and actually help hungry families. I've been on both sides of that coin in my life.

Do what makes you feel good and what you think will make the best impact on someone else's life.

I will say that, despite what the chart above says, Goodwill Industries does do good for people - they provide job training and jobs to folks with disabilities or who find themselves out of work in a given field. They might be minimum wage jobs, but a minimum wage job is better than no job. That alone is doing some good. Would you rather someone have a job and be earning their living (or part of it) or just sitting by getting a totally free ride on public assistance?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top