JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Chromebooks—the Google-powered laptops from popular PC brands which gained popularity during the pandemic, when lockdowns created unprecedented demand for computers at home—can lose critical functionality.

This is a big "turn off" (so to speak) for me in regards to electronics / computers / cell phones etc...
You spend hundreds if not more in dollars for the device and accessories , only to have a very limited period of effective use.

Says the guy who is posting on a new chrome book...:eek: :D
In any event....there ain't much I can do about it...but accept it ....and grumble...:D
Andy

I'd say I'm surprised, but I am not. The moment you buy anything electronic, it is already an antique.

This is a big "turn off" (so to speak) for me in regards to electronics / computers / cell phones etc...
You spend hundreds if not more in dollars for the device and accessories , only to have a very limited period of effective use.

Says the guy who is posting on a new chrome book...:eek: :D
In any event....there ain't much I can do about it...but accept it ....and grumble...:D
Andy
it don't matter what computer / phone / etc..you buy...they all have a short effective life.
Andy
There is a solution but it's not easy. Linux is an open-source operating system. Updates are always free. It runs effectively on very old or very new hardware. The price is time and effort. It still requires technical knowledge to use Linux the way you would Windows, Apple, Android or Chrome. It keeps getting better every day and it won't be long before I switch over myself.

There is a solution but it's not easy. Linux is an open-source operating system. Updates are always free. It runs effectively on very old or very new hardware. The price is time and effort. It still requires technical knowledge to use Linux the way you would Windows, Apple, Android or Chrome. It keeps getting better every day and it won't be long before I switch over myself.
I have always dealt with this with the idea that this stuff is disposable. For that reason I never buy "high end". Have been through a few Chromebooks so far. When they stop updating I tend to keep using them until they start to act funny and toss. Only using them at work for simple entertainment so figure the price is fine for how long they last. The Desktop same. They last a good while. When one stops working well I destroy the HD and toss. When Vista hit while RAM was still very expensive I did try playing with Linux. Was told it was real easy. For me that turned out to be one of those its easy for those who know how kind of things :D
I used an old laptop to try. Ended up having to completely format it twice and finally gave up. Of course that was in the days of dial up net though. Now it would be FAR easier with broadband. I love using a computer to play, just never wanted to learn how to build the damn things. So I use them for years and toss and buy a new just like my phones. Now if my work needed high end stuff? Then I would most likely be far more motivated to learn how to make them last longer. Some people buy high end phones because they use them for work. My phones only use to me is text, call, music, GPS when I can't find where the hell I am :D
and such. So when one is "old" I just toss it and buy another.

I have always dealt with this with the idea that this stuff is disposable. For that reason I never buy "high end". Have been through a few Chromebooks so far. When they stop updating I tend to keep using them until they start to act funny and toss. Only using them at work for simple entertainment so figure the price is fine for how long they last. The Desktop same. They last a good while. When one stops working well I destroy the HD and toss. When Vista hit while RAM was still very expensive I did try playing with Linux. Was told it was real easy. For me that turned out to be one of those its easy for those who know how kind of things :D
I used an old laptop to try. Ended up having to completely format it twice and finally gave up. Of course that was in the days of dial up net though. Now it would be FAR easier with broadband. I love using a computer to play, just never wanted to learn how to build the damn things. So I use them for years and toss and buy a new just like my phones. Now if my work needed high end stuff? Then I would most likely be far more motivated to learn how to make them last longer. Some people buy high end phones because they use them for work. My phones only use to me is text, call, music, GPS when I can't find where the hell I am :D
and such. So when one is "old" I just toss it and buy another.
Yep. I learned a long time ago to buy electronics that in the sweet spot of the "power and speed per dollar" curve. When 25% more RAM would cost twice as much but 50% less costs 10% less, you're in the groove. When a 55" TV costs half what a 60" does, you buy the 55". In a year the 70" will be the bargain size and your 55" will look just like a 60" when they sit next to the 100". :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top