JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
HenryJ: I'm really jealous of your XLR! I really like that particjular finishin on the stock and foregrip. Was yours built before or after Remington took over?
I believe after, as I picked it up in the last couple years. Price was very attractive on sale at Cabelas. The XLR has a smaller magazine and longer barrel than some other models. That helps it a little for hunting at distance. Stainless steel is nice too. I added the Wild West Guns big loop lever.
I have not looked into the pros and cons of the Remington acquisition of Marlin. If this rifle is a good example, I have no problem with it.

Owned many and currently have three, a Winchester Trapper in .357, a Winchester Buffalo Bill Commemorative and a Marlin Golden 39A .22. The best value it seems is with the Marlin 336 series in 30-30. I routinely see nice 336s in the $300 range and occasionally run into a Glenfield which was the 'Department Store' version. These had a hardwood stock with stamped checkering as opposed to a walnut stock and I have seen them for $250 in fair condition. I am considering one as a quad gun, just a beater that shoots but I don't have to worry about it being out in the weather so much.

Henry is one of the original lever action manufacturers.

Well, yes, but really, NO. "Henry" of today is in no way connected with "Henry" of the pre-Winchester 1866 lever actions. The only similarity is the resurrection of the name, and a brass-colored receiver. Nothing else about the company or the guns are the same.

The recommendations here toward the true Marlin guns, I would agree with, but the prices on such may make the OP think twice about his shying away from Winchester for that reason. Marlin prices are skyrocketing beyond what is reasonable: especially for the pistol-caliber guns.

A good 336 in .30-30 is still easy to find, and reasonable, as one poster mentioned. My 1948 vintage one is one of the most accurate guns I own.

For the OP: I was most intrigued by your speculation about obtaining a rifle/pistol compatible-caliber pair. To do this truly authentically, the best route would be to get an Uberti or other replica (of a Winchester), and a matching replica of a Colt or Remington revolver. The caliber would be .44-40. (other rifle/pistol caliber-compatible pairs such as .45 Colt, or .357 did not exist in the old West). But, this suggestion would be quite expensive. Other caliber-compatible cartridges that are authentic for rifle/pistol include .32-20, or .38-40. (But these might require you invest in original guns: even more mucho dinero.)
P6070081.jpg
Uberti Replicas: Model 1873 Winchester One of One Thousand, and Remington Model 1890 (French Gray finish, factory engraved). Both in caliber .44-40 Winchester.

I also have a Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun, but it's not ported and I've tweaked it a bit by
adding a scout mount, larger lever, ghost ring sights and a +2 mag tube extension.
Here it is with a Leupold FX-II... I have also run an Aimpoint Micro T-1 on the optic rail.
The major work was performed by David at Clements Custom Guns, I installed the sights and scout rail.

EGG-Scout.jpg

How do you like that FXII? Trying to decide between that and a Burris Scout scope for my 336.

For the OP: I was most intrigued by your speculation about obtaining a rifle/pistol compatible-caliber pair. To do this truly authentically, the best route would be to get an Uberti or other replica (of a Winchester), and a matching replica of a Colt or Remington revolver. The caliber would be .44-40. (other rifle/pistol caliber-compatible pairs such as .45 Colt, or .357 did not exist in the old West). But, this suggestion would be quite expensive. Other caliber-compatible cartridges that are authentic for rifle/pistol include .32-20, or .38-40. (But these might require you invest in original guns: even more mucho dinero.)
Uberti Replicas: Model 1873 Winchester One of One Thousand, and Remington Model 1890 (French Gray finish, factory engraved). Both in caliber .44-40 Winchester.

I think having authentic old west calibers would be sweet, but authenticity isnt my number one priority (at least for the time being). I just want a quality firearm, that will fire a round that I can find at any local store. The more I research these rifles, the more I'm leaning towards a dedicated rifle round. That way I can use it for hunting if need be.

I just want a quality firearm, that will fire a round that I can find at any local store. The more I research these rifles, the more I'm leaning towards a dedicated rifle round. That way I can use it for hunting if need be.

Then go for a .30-30. Still common and I've seen several Winchester 94's and Marlin 336's in the classifieds here for $350ish prices. Either is a good choice. If you plan to scope it the Marlin has the edge with side ejection. Personally, I prefer irons on a medium range lever gun but that's probably the traditionalist in me plus having shot irons for almost 50 years. The 94 is a little slimmer than the Marlin but I'm fond of both.

Levers are a real hoot to shoot. I purchased two Winchester 1873 Uberti replica's in .45 Colt and .357 and I've never looked back. What a blast, (excuse the obvious pun) I shoot them more then any of the others. The .45 Colt will take a deer if you place your shots and the .357 is just cheap to shoot with .38's. My plan is to get a 1876 in a larger caliber to hunt bear with someday. I'm selling off all my modern stuff and going toggle. Toggle action rifles are a breed of their own and fun. Anyone want to start a "togglers" club.

Nah. Toggle actions are obsolete, inherently weak, and there is a wealth of reasons they were relegated to the rubbish heap of firearms development. They certainly have no place in today's hunting fields where long-range shots and belted magnums go hand-in-hand for any sportsman expecting any degree of success.

76Goat.jpg

Winchester Model 1876, Caliber 45-60, Mfg: 1884.

There's several toggler guns out there now. The Burgess is available. The entire list is: Henry, Win 66, win 73,win 76 and Colt Burgess. If I've forgotten any let me know. I think it would make a great club. Maybe a toggle shoot at Clark Rifles in Vancouver would work. Wouldn't matter the calibers. Nothing would have an advantage over another. We could get cool t shirts made up with "Been toggled lately" written on the front. Girls would like that I think. Just kidding. But seriously I think a group of togglers would be different enough to get enough interest to start a get together. Rent a table at a local gun show and display nothing but club toggle guns. Put up a sign that says " Toggle spoken here" or "Speak toggle so I can understand you" LOL I think I'm on a roll.

.... inherently weak, and there is a wealth of reasons they were relegated to the rubbish heap of firearms development.
No and yes. Partly tongue in cheek I'm sure but they don't have to be weak. The Maxim gun is a toggle (and of course the Luger). Their main drawback is the length of the action as witnessed by the 1876 (beautiful rifle BTW...should have picked one up back when I was single and might have afforded it) and the multiple tolerance stack-ups making manufacture more demanding. What's not to like? ;^)

Hey sorry for the delay in response. I think I might have to put my lever gun fantasies on hold for a bit. I just got a lead on a Colt AR-15 for a good price, so I might do that, and purchase a lever gun at a later time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top