JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
167AF8A1-6AC9-4CCB-B2F8-5919AF42A326.png
Maybe some new insoles will help...

I check the tattle tale on my slide every time I leave the house.
Beyond that; I wear a lot of flannel in the winter, It amazes me where, and how much the lint can build up and in so short of short time, especially with flannel.
It's good to get into a ritual (Mine is every Sunday) to do a basic check and dust clean out. (including the inside of my holster)
I also unload and reload the magazine just for cause and to check for lint in it too.
Since it is my 24/7 tool, Leaving an empty chamber would be difficult because it is not stored unloaded.
The extra round would be sitting there on my other wise clutter free dresser top staring at me looking for a home.

I always carry one in the chamber and I clean my gun every couple of weeks. i rechamber my ejected round when I am done cleaning. I usually go to the range at least once a month so I shoot my carried magazine in my gun and then shoot 50-100 rounds of 124gr NATO rounds. I do shoot all of the my carried magazine rounds at least once a year.

No need to press check and IMO it is not a good idea. For future reference, there is this little thingy majigger on the right side of the slide right behind the ejection port called an extractor, it will protrude when there is a round in the chamber and recess when empty, it is both visually and tactilely readable in either position.
even if you have an indicator .....lots of good weapons have nothing but the shooters memory and process to always know what condition a main carry weapon is in.....hell stored weapons for that matter. When I see press checking it tells me a story. Everyone makes mistakes but the act of depending on press checking encourages complacency in knowing in your mind what is in your life line .....IMO

I prefer to be safe. So when I carry my gun it's always unloaded and locked in the safe.
The magazine is empty and ammo stored in a different safe.

But I never travel more than 30 miles from my house.
Just in case I need it. ;)o_O

The chamber loaded indicator on Glocks can also be utilized by braille. It is a good idea to learn what this indicator looks and feels like when loaded and unloaded. Might come in handy for bumps in the night.

Last Edited:
Since I carry 24-7 and the only time it is not on my person is when I take a shower, and then it's only one long step away, and the only time it's unloaded is for periodic cleaning, or when shooting and I've just emptied my magazine. As soon as possible (immediately) I reload including one in the chamber and topping off the mag.
I never have to check to see if it's loaded because it always is!
Gabby
But I do now and then and it's always been full. :D

A gun without bullets is a paper weight!

@EPS No round in the chamber, No Boom when needed!:eek::(
I'm glad you found this out in a safe manor and no one got hurt or needed to get hurt and you learned something here!
Thanks for being man enough to admit this and to share here, may help prevent others from having a case of Some-timers which is almost as bad as Alzheimers with out the after taste!

Good thing to bring up. A few weeks ago on my way to work, I came across a wounded buck. His front legs worked fine but he was dragging his rear. With permission over the phone from OSP, I dispatched the deer, shooting a Glock 26. First shot missed (5:00am, dark outside, shooting a deer on the side of the road isn't something I practice for), second shot did it and I went on to work. When I got home that night, I dropped my mag, racked the slide and the chamber was empty. First thought was that my carry pistol was not ready for a defensive gun use. The part that really bothered me was that had that deer been a bad guy with a gun and I missed my first two shots, the third one would've gone *click*. I'll have to reevaulate a few things such as choice of ammo, the firearm itself, and shooting technique.

Good thing to bring up. A few weeks ago on my way to work, I came across a wounded buck. His front legs worked fine but he was dragging his rear. With permission over the phone from OSP, I dispatched the deer, shooting a Glock 26. First shot missed (5:00am, dark outside, shooting a deer on the side of the road isn't something I practice for), second shot did it and I went on to work. When I got home that night, I dropped my mag, racked the slide and the chamber was empty. First thought was that my carry pistol was not ready for a defensive gun use. The part that really bothered me was that had that deer been a bad guy with a gun and I missed my first two shots, the third one would've gone *click*. I'll have to reevaulate a few things such as choice of ammo, the firearm itself, and shooting technique.
Like I said before the only reason why I started this thread.
Was because it was a surprise to me.and I bet there are others out there with the same experience.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top