JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just bought a CZ-527 Varmint in 204 Ruger. Took it out and shot it in windy field
conditions. Regardless of it shooting well,I decided to have it bedded . Question of pillar bedding came up,it has a wood stock ? Should I pillar bed it or just a standard bedding job ?

Probably pillar with a wood stock. Pillars help because they don't compress like what does. Therefore the action screws clamp to roughly the same pressure each time you put the gun together.
But understanding you live in a fairly dry environment, if the rifle is likely to stay in the desert environment, you would likely also be fine with just standard bedding.

Probably pillar with a wood stock. Pillars help because they don't compress like what does. Therefore the action screws clamp to roughly the same pressure each time you put the gun together.
But understanding you live in a fairly dry environment, if the rifle is likely to stay in the desert environment, you would likely also be fine with just standard bedding.

Stocks need to be removed from time to time. Maintenance needs to be done, triggers need to be adjusted, barrels need to be changed. Actions are taken out of stocks. Unless you plan on completely gluing your action onto the stock permanently, which I think I've only really heard of being done in target class rifles, then pillars are still a good idea.

Speaking as a gunsmith, I can pretty well assure that the stock will need to come off at some point in the future...