JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've done at least a cursory search on this subject, but have not been successful in finding anything local. How does a person become a certified NRA instructor and be certified to teach an Oregon CHL course? I'm looking for local sources (greater Portland, OR area).

The first step is taking an NRA Instructor course for pistol.

this link will get you started
<broken link removed>

there is one in Battle Ground in mar/apr Your not going to get any closer than that

currently there is no NRA approved CHL instructor training. I did hear that they are working on such a things, but as of yet there none.
I would take all the advanced pistol class at a good training site like OFA or FAS or frontsite and begin studying OR CHL laws and how to apply them.
Try to connect eith a local company that teaches CHL classes and see what quals the instrutors have and what you will need to be sucessful doing it.

I talked to the Washington County Convealed Handgun Unit the other day. She said that law required you be an NRA instructor to give the CHL class. I told her I was pretty confident the state law did not actually state an NRA certification was necessary but, she said that was their policy.

I talked to the Washington County Convealed Handgun Unit the other day. She said that law required you be an NRA instructor to give the CHL class. I told her I was pretty confident the state law did not actually state an NRA certification was necessary but, she said that was their policy.

Here's ORS 166.291 1(f) which describes the acceptable training to demonstrate competence.

(f) Demonstrates competence with a handgun by any one of the following:
***** (A) Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;
***** (B) Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;
***** (C) Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;
***** (D) Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;
***** (E) Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
***** (F) Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or
***** (G) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course;

to find out about the basic requirements, follow this link .... <broken link removed>

You will need to find an Instructors' course being put on by a NRA Training Counselor
You can search for courses here <broken link removed>

Once you obtain a NRA Instructor certification, there is no additional certification required by the State of Oregon. Some states, such as Utah, requires that instructors teaching the Utah concealed carry classes are certified by the state; Oregon does not.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top