JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have also looked into becoming a FFL holder. I even went so far as to request the application. I have never filled it out becuase I am not sure what lic. I want. I'd like to be able to recieve and sell firearms, both new and used. It wounldn't be a fulltime job, just something I can do from home for friends and relatives. Any help would be great.

Thanks....

I have also looked into becoming a FFL holder. I even went so far as to request the application. I have never filled it out becuase I am not sure what lic. I want. I'd like to be able to recieve and sell firearms, both new and used. It wounldn't be a fulltime job, just something I can do from home for friends and relatives. Any help would be great.

Thanks....

I have thought of doing this too does anyone have info? Google has proven just about useless as all they want to do is sell you a kit that I'm sure you could do yourself.

Yes, I've found these links. I was wondering more first and experience.

With something which is so heavily regulated, there are always gotchas out there.

Thank you though for the help.

M

I am in the process now to be honest the chances of getting approved if you are only doing transfers for friends and relatives is so small as that it might as well be ZERO. The big bulls eye(s) is "How do you plan to make money?" "What hours are you open?" Just so you know these are the quick easy DQ questions. So if you are not going to run at least a limited store and advertise don't waste the time or effort to fill out the paperwork.
Does that help?

You are only going to get an FFL if you have a store. Period.

If you want to just do gun shows or transfers for friends, etc. - forget it. The days of the kitchen table FFL are sadly gone. Ditto for internet sales - all of the guys who sell guns over the internet also have storefronts with regular hours.

Keep in mind that that ATF *will* come and inspect. They have agents in the field and it's not like you're going to fool them. By the way, the easiest way they disqualify people is to ask for zoning information on the place you plan to do business. I guarantee you that your house or apartment is not zoned for a gun store.

C&R is easy to get, but you can't deal with that license - it's only for personal purchase, and only for guns 50+ years old.

+1 on raindogs info. I was an FFL for quite a while.the city decided that i was not going to be able to do it from my home.the zoning deal so in the end i agreed.I was doing it for friends and family and no money in it. so it was time to part ways and now its harder if you don't have a store front.best wishes to you if you get it going.

This isn't entirely true. You can run a class 1 ffl from your home, and do your primary business on the internet. I researched this thoroughly, and there are dealers on this very site that operate from their home. It's perfectly legal. Here is where people get hung up....

ATF regs say that that you must have a storefront. It must comply with all local zoning requirements. So, many people think, "my house is zoned residential, so I can't run a store out of my house. Game over." Not true. I live in Hillsboro and looked up zoning laws. You can apply for a home based business liscense. Once you are granted the liscence, your home is a legal place of business with certain restrictions. Here's the big one that people don't understand....

ATF regs state that "A private residence, no part of which is open to the public, may be considered [a store front]." Does this mean that all private residences are banned from being a class 1 ffl location? NO. It means that a private residence that IS NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC cannot be a class 1 ffl location. Now I go back to the Hillsboro home based business regs...

They state that your home based business MAY BE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC, so long as the business only occupies less than 25% of the total space of the house, and you have an average of less than 10 on site customers per day.

In short, yes, you can operate a class 1 ffl out of your residential home, and do most, or even all of your business online, just so long as you have posted, regular hours, your home is open to the public, you are in compliance with zoning ordinances, and you are in business to make a profit. You can't be doing it part time, or as a hobby.

It is very doable if you are serious. You'd be surprised at how many FFLs are operating out of their homes.

Nathan
You are only going to get an FFL if you have a store. Period.

If you want to just do gun shows or transfers for friends, etc. - forget it. The days of the kitchen table FFL are sadly gone. Ditto for internet sales - all of the guys who sell guns over the internet also have storefronts with regular hours.

Keep in mind that that ATF *will* come and inspect. They have agents in the field and it's not like you're going to fool them. By the way, the easiest way they disqualify people is to ask for zoning information on the place you plan to do business. I guarantee you that your house or apartment is not zoned for a gun store.

C&R is easy to get, but you can't deal with that license - it's only for personal purchase, and only for guns 50+ years old.

+1 on raindogs info. I was an FFL for quite a while.the city decided that i was not going to be able to do it from my home.the zoning deal so in the end i agreed.I was doing it for friends and family and no money in it. so it was time to part ways and now its harder if you don't have a store front.best wishes to you if you get it going.

Zoning laws vary from city to city. Hillsboro zoning ordinances allow for at-home FFLs.

Thank you for all of the great feedback.

I knew about most of these things, especially the zoning laws. And personally, I would never want to run it out of my home for several reasons.

I had been looking into having a small store front, very small, and doing mostly transfers and special orders. But to in fact have a store front.

I am still thinking about it, but with the paper work, liability, and overhead costs it is a fairly tough business to make profitable.

It seems that most of the money is in the ammo and accessories, which kind of makes sense with most other businesses.

Any other feedback is great to have, and I appreciate all that I've gotten thus far.

M

I just sent off my form 7 to become an 07 manufacturer. It isn't a hard process, and i will be running it out of a home based office along with the rest of my businesses. As long as you are actually in it for money and not just to collect guns the ATF is pretty reasonable, at least on the phone. Make sure you have all your ducks in a row before you send off the paper work. business licenses, bank accounts. office / work space, business plan. all the normal stuff you should have to run a successful business.

Of course i might be changing my tune with the ATF after they come interview and inspect. but so far everyone i have talked with has been very helpful and informative. But make sure you are actually going to run a business, not just add to your collection. They get very mad about that.

I do some gunsmithing for pistol and long range rifle, but my shop is the back part of my home...which gives BATF the right to inspect and tear up my entire home for what ever reason they come up with. They have the right to inspect your place of business at any time for any reason... won't even think about one during this administration!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top