JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Before you make a "move to a free state" you may want to vacation there and get to know it from a local perspective, not the propaganda from the internet, developer and politicians (who want your tax dollars). There are lots of negatives to 'supposed' free states, the biggest one is the invasion of emigrants!

My cheap peanut gallery opinion is...do your own due diligence before making a move out. Driving through another state/city looking around and actually living there are completely different. I have known more than a couple people who regret their decision to move out of state and came back within 1 to 2 years. It's also gotten so that native state residents in a lot of states don't want anything to do with the "Left Coast" moving in....read that to mean guilt by association if your current state has a coastline. Texans don't want anyone from anywhere else, same as do the Coloradans don't want anyone moving into their state...likewise, the Montana & Wyoming welcoming committees aren't going to be what you might think. Lastly, moving anywhere can be very expensive & time consuming if you carry a lot of crap....been there/done that.

FYI, multiple polls show a majority of the public support abortion up to 12-15 weeks, a minority of mostly religious people want it banned, like a minority of mostly radical liberals want it on demand up to birth.

We all had a front row seat to how the left views freedom with political cancel culture, pandemic lockdowns/mandates, weed shops designated 'critical businesses" and FFLs flagged as non-critical. And if the SHTF, Portland is ground zero. Good luck with that.
Hell, I thought he was referring to being forced to wear provenly ineffective masks and take shots from unproven vaccines that didn't affect getting or transmitting a novel virus.

Seriously let's not let this thread go off the rails and get closed down.

FYI, multiple polls show a majority of the public support abortion up to 12-15 weeks, a minority of mostly religious people want it banned, like a minority of mostly radical liberals want it on demand up to birth.

We all had a front row seat to how the left views freedom with political cancel culture, pandemic lockdowns/mandates, weed shops designated 'critical businesses" and FFLs flagged as non-critical. And if the SHTF, Portland is ground zero. Good luck with that.
My problem is the minority of the electorate that are hard-core anti-choice. The GOP needs to pander to them in order to get elected in all but the reddest states.

Remember the phrase "snowflake" used to describe certain "liberal" folks complaining about being treated poorly in society (and many of us probably agreed with the label). Crying "cancel culture" is snowflaking for conservatives. Personally, AM a fan of science based public health rules. The idea that America is a free country and one is at liberty to do what one wants is great, but one's liberty will always be limited by some societal rules to protect others from behavior that can harm others.

Anyway, I'm a city guy. I want to be able to walk to the grocery store, buy books directly from a local vendor, buy actual records st a record store, and eat at at a decent restaurant without driving far. Portland's problems are no worse than similar sized cities (apologies, but I dislike Boisie) and we still have quick access to public lands. The upside is if SHTF I'm better armed than my neighbors.

Anyone in this thread making the claim that a move based on one measure alone is silly, isn't seeing it for what it is.
Our constitutional rights are being violated. Period. bubblegum Oregon voters who didn't see this and bubblegum any politician, police officer or anyone else allowing this to happen.
Any constitutional rights being violated should end with the violater receiving the harshest of punishments.

Anyone in this thread making the claim that a move based on one measure alone is silly, isn't seeing it for what it is.
Our constitutional rights are being violated. Period. bubblegum Oregon voters who didn't see this and bubblegum any politician, police officer or anyone else allowing this to happen.
Any constitutional rights being violated should end with the violater receiving the harshest of punishments.
Agreed a single knee jerk response to a single event is always most certainly a mistake. Many of us, however, are LONG term or native residents who have seen the culture shift way outside our comfort zone. It's not silly stuff like pronouns and whether or not people want to identify as a tree, but the civility and open mindedness that was once Oregon.

At times I feel like the protagonist in one of the old westerns where the ageing cowboy or gunfighter is a man out of time. The west had changed and he no longer has a place in it.

I'm an ageing classic liberal* who leans slightly right. Oregon culture has become authoritarian rule, Oregonians have become rude and uncivil. Put the wrong sticker on your car and it gets vandalized. Say something the gets intentionally misunderstood can get you beaten or made a pariah.

Sure, there are lots of good and great people here but they are becoming more and more rare. I'll never find a place like the Oregon I grew up in (was born while Ike was still president) but something much closer it out there.

* prolly not what you think it means, no identity or victim politics here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_liberalism.

* prolly not what you think it means
Definitely not what I thought it meant. I do wonder if you meant you are a "classic liberal" or "classical liberal", or are they the same thing? When I hear the term "classic liberal", because of the word "classic" it makes me think of a liberal who is liberal in every way. That may be because of the way the word "classic" is tossed around as a joke or borderline insult. As in "that was classic USC defense, giving up all those points to the Utes." Anyway, that definition of Classical Liberalism on Wiki doesn't miss me by much either. And all this time I thought I was a conservative. I definitely also relate to the "man out of time" feeling as well.

Agreed a single knee jerk response to a single event is always most certainly a mistake. Many of us, however, are LONG term or native residents who have seen the culture shift way outside our comfort zone. It's not silly stuff like pronouns and whether or not people want to identify as a tree, but the civility and open mindedness that was once Oregon.

At times I feel like the protagonist in one of the old westerns where the ageing cowboy or gunfighter is a man out of time. The west had changed and he no longer has a place in it.

I'm an ageing classic liberal* who leans slightly right. Oregon culture has become authoritarian rule, Oregonians have become rude and uncivil. Put the wrong sticker on your car and it gets vandalized. Say something the gets intentionally misunderstood can get you beaten or made a pariah.

Sure, there are lots of good and great people here but they are becoming more and more rare. I'll never find a place like the Oregon I grew up in (was born while Ike was still president) but something much closer it out there.

* prolly not what you think it means, no identity or victim politics here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_liberalism.
Jesus man. If I could write, or speak about how I really feel about things, I don't know what I would change in what you just said.

Definitely not what I thought it meant. I do wonder if you meant you are a "classic liberal" or "classical liberal", or are they the same thing? When I hear the term "classic liberal", because of the word "classic" it makes me think of a liberal who is liberal in every way. That may be because of the way the word "classic" is tossed around as a joke or borderline insult. As in "that was classic USC defense, giving up all those points to the Utes." Anyway, that definition of Classical Liberalism on Wiki doesn't miss me by much either. And all this time I thought I was a conservative. I definitely also relate to the "man out of time" feeling as well.
Not a neo lib, that;s for sure. IMO most people who describe themselves as conservative are also classic liberals.

Basically it's INDIVIDUAL (not group/identity/etc) rights and freedoms along with rule of law. Doesn't matter what skin color, sex, orientation, religion or politics all are afforded the same and treated the same.

I went to Ohio early this year and was really surprised. I had chances before but always balked. It was the normalist place I've been since 1990.

My wife didn't feel the same. I almost dropped for some land. A 5ac needing work and 1ac ready to go. That was March. So much happened since March.

Oregon is beautiful but it's also tarted up. The natural beauty sorta lost behind everything else. I came here for work and can't leave until after work, with the economy.

The Kool-Aid is strong in this one!
Don't be so hard on yourself! When I was a kid things were tough due to low wages and big families. Just about everybody cut the Kool-Aid by doubling the water. You might give that a try and maybe cut down on the blue flavors - they leave an awful stain on your mouth.

Anybody else moving to a freer state?
Nope, going to stay here and do right by my State. Nobody should turn tail and run. Learn how to stand and fight legally.
That law got passed because WE didn't do enough to make sure it didn't pass.
WE need to own it and WE need to fix it.
If not you then who?
Leaving the state puts us one man down.

I'm not going anywhere at the moment. Maybe some day, I will also just continue to live my life. I do have the option to flee to Alabama, feel like it's turning my back on my family history. not one person I'm related too lives outside of Oregon. I guess I'll see you guy's in the gulag:s0005:
Right on. We need to stay and get better at defeating these measures/laws.
If we leave, who is left?

Can't, job is here. If I start over, no one will pay me as good as I'm being paid now. Plus, at 42, I want to retire eventually and that's what is my goal right now.

I moved to Ohio after the 2020 BS. Sold our house at the end of 2020. And moved to small town Ohio near my Wife's family.

This place sucks. The weather, the landscape.
We still have drug problems here, just got a gay bar in the closest town. And had some tranny in the town parade. It's everywhere.
We don't have problems, violence or homeless like portland but the woke BS is spreading everywhere.

But people still leave their doors unlocked here. You can leave your car unlocked and not worry about some stealing your stuff. And the guns laws are few and far between.

I also lost half my income and home prices have jumped about $100k over what they should be here.

I wouldn't suggest moving here. But I would suggest moving away from there.

I would have stayed in Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming.

I moved to Ohio after the 2020 BS. Sold our house at the end of 2020. And moved to small town Ohio near my Wife's family.

This place sucks. The weather, the landscape.
We still have drug problems here, just got a gay bar in the closest town. And had some tranny in the town parade. It's everywhere.
We don't have problems, violence or homeless like portland but the woke BS is spreading everywhere.

But people still leave their doors unlocked here. You can leave your car unlocked and not worry about some stealing your stuff. And the guns laws are few and far between.

I also lost half my income and home prices have jumped about $100k over what they should be here.

I wouldn't suggest moving here. But I would suggest moving away from there.

I would have stayed in Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming.
The people around the outer Columbus area I found appealing. I was surprised by the "Old Money" there. Just never really connected that and Ohio. I'm sure old money, is everywhere, it just happens to skip me. I liked Utah but it just seemed so expensive and that was 2-3 years ago.

I don't care about weird people. I grew up in LA. It's weird places that is the problem. Remove the Portland and Salem power center and Oregon is what it was only 5-6 years ago.

In a few years I also will lose about 1/2 my income. Can I survive that in Oregon? Trying to make moves now and planning is hard because every week it's something new. A year ago I saved enough maybe to start a side business. Ha ha. Thank God I didn't.

Last Edited:
The people around the outer Columbus area I found appealing. I was surprised by the "Old Money" there. Just never really connected that and Ohio. I'm sure old money, is everywhere, it just happens to skip me. I liked Utah but it just seemed so expensive and that was 2-3 years ago.

I don't care about weird people. I grew up in LA. It's weird places that is the problem. Remove the Portland and Salem power center and Oregon is what it was only 5-6 years ago.

In a few years I also will lose about 1/2 my income. Can I survive that in Oregon? Trying to make moves now and plan is hard because every week it's something new. A year ago I saved enough maybe to start a side business. Ha ha. Thank God I didn't.
Won't be long before the "old money" in Portland is evidenced by a two story tent.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top