JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It would be tough to leave. I keep my circle small and my beer cold as the saying goes, so would hate to leave my good friends behind. I don't have many newer friends. Mostly long timers. Also, my neighbors are awesome. Moving somewhere else is akin to buying a pig in a poke.
Ditto this as well! Also moving for maybe one (or more) laws you don't like is no guarantee you are going to like the rest of the place - and you might encounter some other unrelated laws you were unaware of and do not like as well.

Hey I am NO fan of 114 or any of the other idiotic laws we have but we do have something in Oregon a LOT of other places do not - 53% public land. I literally grew up doing everything outdoors related due to being close to public land - and still do these things.

I have lived (temporarily) in other areas a with little to almost no public land and I felt very 'closed in' as opposed to the freedom having the National Forest always essentially out my 'back door' in Oregon.

moving is only delaying the problem and it will follow you. Its already happening in red states just slower. It depends on your age and maybe where in the red state if you want to live out your lives before red turns blue. I wish I was in a position to consider it. Enjoy the last of your freedom over there while its still red for a while.
I hear this a lot, and isn't necessarily true. If it were, then it means there is no reason to do anything, since "blue" is inevitable. I am not into the "red vs blue" theme. It is freedom vs dictatorship. That, on the other hand, is the eternal struggle: the powerful bullying the weak, and is everywhere. If someone wants to stay, then stay, and fight. Don't badger the ones that leave. If they aren't fighters, no loss for your side. If you're not willing to fight for yourself, STFU then and stay out of the way. Stop muddying the struggle with what ifs, bad mouthing 2A orgs, being selfish, arguing with each other, et al. Leave the fighting to the few who are willing to put the time in. Opening your wallet is not enough to get you into the cool kids club unless we are talking a significant chunk of your income. It takes sacrifice. Which those of us who have done something appreciate and respect.

To be clear, this is not directed at any one individual including @Koda , but the concept only. And by "fight", I mean within the legal or civil disobedience means, not electric boogaloo.

Sorry for the rant, kind sore subject.

My family has been here since 1847, with a pioneer cemetery full of them to prove it. I can only imagine what they'd think about what's become of the place that they risked everything for to get here on a wagon train. Selling out two ranches and some businesses is probably easy until you have to do it. At my age, I'll just stay here and be a problem for the progressives that gave us this disaster.
It'd be interesting for you to look into why your family came here! If you have an interest in moving.

What kinds of risks they took in leaving there home(s), communities, state(s), region(s), country (ies) & what they had hoped to gain by making such a move at the time.

May make the decision easier. May also make it harder…

I hear this a lot, and isn't necessarily true. If it were, then it means there is no reason to do anything, since "blue" is inevitable.
"Blue" is inevitable when people do nothing. If someone forces you to give up your land, there is nothing stopping them from following you. Red states will eventually turn blue if blue states arent stopped in their tracks. Oregon used to be red....

Ditto this as well! Also moving for maybe one (or more) laws you don't like is no guarantee you are going to like the rest of the place - and you might encounter some other unrelated laws you were unaware of and do not like as well.

Hey I am NO fan of 114 or any of the other idiotic laws we have but we do have something in Oregon a LOT of other places do not - 53% public land. I literally grew up doing everything outdoors related due to being close to public land - and still do these things.

I have lived (temporarily) in other areas a with little to almost no public land and I felt very 'closed in' as opposed to the freedom having the National Forest always essentially out my 'back door' in Oregon.
Good point about public land RV. I spent a number of years in Texas and we hunted in the South,(Hill Country). There is almost no public land and the deer hunting is great but we had to pay a great deal of money for our lease. Was nice to get 4 tags a year though and the deer population still grows. Not uncommon to see a couple of hundred deer a day. I bet a lot of people that dream about going to Tx. have no idea about lack of public land.

Great point and something to keep in mind if planning to relocate for any reason.

Top ten states with the highest percentage of Federal lands
  1. Nevada - 84.94%
  2. Utah - 64.90%
  3. Idaho - 61.63%
  4. Alaska - 61.24%
  5. Oregon - 52.95%
  6. Wyoming - 48.14%
  7. California - 45.77%
  8. Arizona - 38.61%
  9. Colorado - 35.90%
  10. New Mexico - 34.70%

We are moving, but not because of this election it did help solidify our need to leave though. We started planning our move out of Oregon during 2020 as we are looking for better hunting opportunities and outdoor options that are not a minimum hour drive. We originally looked at eastern Oregon, but quickly realized living 6-8 hours away from family we would see them as much as living in another state. We have settled on Wyoming and have already sold our home here and now just looking for the right house or property to build. We have no Family or friends in Wyoming and are moving to a town of about 2,300, but new friends can be made and is worth it for my wife and I to raise our boys in a state that supports gun ownership has great outdoor/hunting opportunities and not pushing the liberal stuff we are seeing pushed on our kids here.

Staying in Oregon to fight by voting is akin to pissing on a house fire hoping to put it out when so many from California are moving here and bringing their votes with them. Just my wifes work alone in the last 2 years has seen 12 people from California move here and this is a company with less than 100 people. Sometimes you have to cut your losses and realize your effort is better spent keeping a red state red.

"Blue" is inevitable when people do nothing. If someone forces you to give up your land, there is nothing stopping them from following you. Red states will eventually turn blue if blue states arent stopped in their tracks. Oregon used to be red....
Tyranny is inevitable, regardless of what wing it is from, as long as the oppressed are unwilling to stand against it. The number of "fat, dumb, and happy" will rapidly increase until it reaches a tipping point. This is slowed greatly where life is harder and the free stuff is more scarce. That is where a good drug addiction can really help maintain the status quo.

Gimme about three-four years, I'm out. Not due to the most recent election, that just confirmed it.

Looking at states with better retirement profiles. Oregon is 38/50 in best states for retirement.

And PERS is gonna mess things up in a big way.

I'll come back for the fishing but I'll be danged if I pay taxes here again.

P

Gun laws worst than California
Taxes as high as California
Weather worse than California
People who are such a holes they make mass holes seem almost nice.
Homes are over priced

Yeah cannot wait to leave

Gimme about three-four years, I'm out. Not due to the most recent election, that just confirmed it.

Looking at states with better retirement profiles. Oregon is 38/50 in best states for retirement.

I'll come back for the fishing but I'll be danged if I pay taxes here again.

P
Don't forget Measure 111 which passed as narrowly as 114. This effectively created socialized healthcare for all residents (including non citizens) in Oregon,

Taxes will skyrocket while healthcare becomes DMV level quality.

I've never seen an election where Oregon screwed the pooch on all fronts as this one.

Don't forget Measure 111 which passed as narrowly as 114. This effectively created socialized healthcare for all residents (including non citizens) in Oregon,

I've never seen an election where Oregon screwed the pooch on all fronts as this one.
Don't forget, Oregon voted for Dukakis.

P

I've been wanting to move for several years now. I own my own business and it takes a lot more than just moving someplace and finding a 9-5 job. it takes about eight years to get this business going doing top work and building a reputation to where your phone actually rings without spending a ton of money on advertising and there is no guarantees so it's large investment.
What line of work ?

PERS is not the gravy train it used to be. Since the reforms of about 2005 or so it is little more than a glorified 401k. The biggest problem is the continued expansion of state government and the size of the "workforce," not the retirement plan.
We have settled on Wyoming and have already sold our home here and now just looking for the right house or property to build.
Wish you luck with that. I have driven through Wyoming several times. You couldn't pay me to live there.
Taxes as high as California
Not even close.

This is definitely a concern. One of the dumbest things Oregonians have ever done.

Wish you luck with that. I have driven through Wyoming several times. You couldn't pay me to live there.
Some parts are quite nice, but sadly you need Cheney style wealth to live there. Nobody who works in Jackson can afford to live there. When I lived in Idaho Falls it was pointed out the labor force lived in single wides in Hoback and commuted. Cody is also great but also expensive.

There are some decent affordable areas around Sheridan as well as parts of eastern WY near Mt Rushmore. Riverton is pretty OK as well. Cheyenne not one of my favorite spots though they do have that upscale truck stop just to the west.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top