JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you have your CHL the city ordinance states you can leagally open carry loaded.. No CHL, then its technically gotta be unloaded in those cities.

Its utterly asinine and unconstitutional.. but its their ordinance. Dont shoot the messenger, just passing on the info.

Review the statute on "The Use of Deadly Force".

IMHO.....just stay inside. While armed. Otherwise, you may be on the news. When you really didn't want to be.

Aloha, Mark

Unless you're an elected official, you're a no-one to BLM/Antifa. Your neighborhood is most likely in the same category.

If, for some odd reason, there was a protest march going down your street, chances are it is heading for a very specific destination.

Why make yourself a target by sitting outside, gun in hand?

5.08.240 Unlawful Carrying of a Loaded Firearm.
A. No person in a public place shall carry a firearm upon the person unless all ammunition has been removed from the chamber and from the cylinder, clip or magazine.

B. Subsection A of this section does not apply to or affect:

1. A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.

2. A member of the military in the performance of official duty.

3. A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

4. A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building under ORS 166.370.

5. Any person summoned by any law enforcement officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace, while said person so summoned is actually engaged in assisting the officer.

6. A corrections officer while transporting or accompanying an individual convicted of or arrested for an offense and confined in a place of incarceration or detention while outside the confines of the place of incarceration or detention.

7. When authorized by the officer's employer, a parole and probation officer, as defined in ORS 181.610, may carry a firearm while engaged in official duties if the officer has completed: (1) A firearms training program recognized by the Board on Public Safety Standards and Training; and (2) A psychological screening.

8. An armed private security officer, proprietary security manager or security contractor certified and permitted by the Department of Public Safety Standards and Training to possess a firearm while in the performance of their duties.

C. A person who violates this section commits a Class A misdemeanor. [BC 5.08.240, added by Ordinance No. 4084, 2/7/00]

Oregon state law allows open carry anywhere in the state. But they put into that law an option for cities to pre-empt that. The CHL portion just doesn't allow them to deny a CHL the right/ability to carry there.

Seems to me I recall that Pdx, Beaverton and Salem prohibit open carry? So, if Antifa comes down my Cedar Hills street, I can not be on my front porch with a shot gun across my lap?
Correct, but its ok if you have a CHL(at least if its a handgun), that said I've seen zero people open carry in the area. Don't worry about it, I'm in the same area and if I see anything go down I'll be willing to help out.

Last Edited:
Correct, but its ok if you have a CHL(at least if its a handgun), that said I've seen zero people open carry in the area. Don't worry about it, I'm in the same area and if I see anything go down I'll be willing to help out.
I believe that if you are on your own property you can carry openly if you want. The issue would arise if you went off the property onto someone else's or onto public property. But if you are wandering around in public view carrying a rifle or a shotgun I would imagine that you would get a police car to stop in for a check. You'd still be in the right but they would be doing a check because someone would call in.

You can even open carry a long gun.... several 2A "activist" did just that in PDX and Salem who have the same restrictions as "Beavertown".... the OSP was checking for CHL's in Salem and letting dudes go in their way open carrying long guns.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top