JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Your tax dollars at work. :huh:

What do you mean by that? Obivously the pits mineral rights are owned by someone and it's time to remove material from the pit for a job. Or if the pit is owned by the Government they are having a contractor come in and crush rock for road work. Most likely is they are crushing rock to improve the roads in the area. The company I work for does a lot of road repair in the woods it's good paying work.

So I'm really confused by your comment.

Oh i see my tax dollars at work everyday usually building more bike lanes or electric car charging ports, like the one outside beaverton libarary, i think it was open for about a week before it broke and they covered it with construction tape, only cost around one million dollars so i think it was worth it!

Yeah its annoying that brownscamp is closed again, its not the greatest spot but its pretty darn conveniant to get to from the city i find and even though i only shot there a few times i found if i got there just after sunrise i could shoot for a good hour before the place got too busy.

Im hoping they get the rockcrushing completed quickly but i wont hold my breath haha

Checked the website and apparently its still closed, Im gonna make a trip up there this weekend and see whats happening,
I got told about another couple of shooting spots along beaver dam road so I stop by the quarry too.

Just got back from tillamook forest and both the quarry and the rockpit are still closed
Not that appears to have stopped some people judging by the amount of fresh spent 12 guage shells on the ground.
Didnt get chance to check out any of the other spots along the trail as my buddys car ended up with 3 flats (including the spare)
So we had a wonderful 11 mile walk back to the gas station on 6 which was fun!
The beaverdam quarry 'should' be open by next week though.

That area isn't in the National/State Forest. I am guessing there is much publicly owned, but not National/State Wilderness/Forest land in that area? How do I find out what is publicly owned and what is privately owned?

It's in the State Forest, if you look at the sign in the image on the first post you'll see the "Oregon Department of Forestry" symbol in the corner. Also the link to check the status is the Oregon.gov/dof website.

So, sad but true, google is not always accurate. So how do know where the boundaries are? I would suggest checking with the forestry office. Another good way is to get the hunting unit map for that area. Rams maps are fairly reliable and can be purchased at Bi-mart and most hunting supply stores. The delineate BLM (Bureau of Land Mangement) land, Forestry land, etc. Here is there website: Topographic maps, united states atlas, wall maps, quadrangle, hiking maps, hunting maps
They cost about $8 and document in detail one hunting unit.
This quarry is in the Trask unit.
You can also see more at the ODFW (Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife) interactive map website ODFW Hunting Access Map
Click the checkbox in the top right corner for "Land Ownership" this will show you in blue outline the state land, which in this case is the Tillamook Forest and does surround the quarry.
Here is another helpful link ODFW: Big Game Hunting Unit Maps

And last - this is the website that will officially report the reopening of the quarry <broken link removed>
(Though it can lag behind word of mouth - that site also has the posted regulations for shooting in the Tillamook State Forest (TSF) and has many other helpful links)

Went today, got all excited as we turned the corner as the parking lot was open. Our hopes were dashed when we saw the signs were still up, and now there is quite a bit of heavy machinery down in the quarry.

I got a reply email from Google Maps from the map problem I reported, they said they will fix the Tillamook State Forest boundaries soon:

Google Maps people said:
Your Google Maps problem report has been reviewed, and you were right! We'll update the map soon and email you when you can see the change.

Found this out the hard way two weeks ago. Took a random exit off 26 and after 45 minutes of driving around managed to find a clear cut that was passable. Big PITA since we had an AR with us so wanted a little distance and I always get nervous trying to find my own spot. By the time I'd scouted it out and was happy that we weren't going to somehow launch .223 onto the highway or something it was an hour. It was also 90 degrees and the place had a ton of bugs flying around and wore shorts so wasnt about to hike through posion oak to set up a bunch of targets.

AKA it sucked.

I've got family from England in town over labor day and would love to take them out and shoot some guns considering they never have and likely never will otherwise. Would prefer to be outdoors than at the range - so does anyone know anywhere else within a reasonable distance that we can shoot some handguns and long guns without semi-offroading for two hours to find a spot?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top