JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Why has it become a badge of honor to have a beat-up gun that hasn't ever been cleaned? Is it to prove it gets shot? Is it to prove it works, despite the neglect?

Regardless of whether its my guns, boat, fishing gear, hunting gear, etc., I do my best to make sure its well taken care of. I clean all of it after its been used. And believe me, I use all of it quite a bit. I also replace parts as recommended or when it appears to need it, whatever comes first.

It just amazes me when someone shows me their beat-to-schit gun with carbon caked onto it. I feel bad for then gun. Its like seeing a kid with holes in their clothes, ribs sticking out, dirt under their nails and crusted over boogers on their face.

Forgetting the fact the thing looks like crap, how can anyone who neglects their firearm claim the state of their firearm makes it MORE reliable or accurate than one that is well maintained?

I didn't know it has become a badge of honor. I keep my guns clean for the most part. They do get used though, and they show it. Nothing major, but holster wear and light scratches from use is normal and expected. Being in the construction industry, there's lots of jokes about the guy that walks on a site with shiny new tools and an unscathed hard hat.

How about the "battleworn" cerakote people pay good money for? :D

I do take extra care of certain guns, usually the more expensive ones. My Glocks, however, get shot plenty and I don't spit shine them after every range trip. :)

I didn't know it has become a badge of honor. I keep my guns clean for the most part. They do get used though, and they show it. Nothing major, but holster wear and light scratches from use is normal and expected. Being in the construction industry, there's lots of jokes about the guy that walks on a site with shiny new tools and an unscathed hard hat.

How about the "battleworn" cerakote people pay good money for? :D

A gun will age. Show wear, etc. But when its gouged and there are literally chunks missing out of it, with enough black carbon caked on it that its life matters, per a certain organization, you gotta wonder.

The battleworn thing is almost worse. At least the guy with a dirty gun knows it works.

Probably the same reason youtubers do "tactical reloads", "scan for targets" etc... because they think it looks tacti-cool. I clean, maintain, and repair my stuff because it lasts longer and works better with care and maintenance. But apparently for some neglecting and beating the crud out our their equipment gives them street cred. To me there is a difference between use and abuse.

Last Edited:
At work, they don't inspect our guns anymore as a part of a performance evaluation. If the gun "breaks" an armorer will deal with it. Mostly operator error and neglect. You can have the gun cleaned with a sonic cleaner after a range day. Other than that, its up to you to maintain the gun.

I may not be able to grade subordinates on their gun maintenance.....but I know who doesn't do it. :rolleyes:

It's like an elephant pausing to reflect on the skeletons at an elephant graveyard. It's like a hungry neckbeard discovering a missed morsel in said beard.
That dirty filthy gun is a time machine that speaks of a time when ammo was so common to have been actually shot.
maybe

I've mentioned before that I haven't cleaned my G34 in a long time. Mainly to see how long it will run reliably. That being said, it still looks like brand new.

Did some LARPer brag about their beat up POS AR or something? They probably drug it down a gravel road because that's the only wear they can actually cause.

I've noticed it to some extent too and the extreme neglect is disgusting. I don't know why it is a thing.

I used to be very fastidious about cleaning firearms as my father was, and likely still is in his advanced age, almost fanatical about that sort of thing, so he taught his children accordingly. These days I'm no where near as meticulous as in years past, but the firearms are not outright neglected, and when they need a thorough cleaning, they get just that. Like so many things, there has to be a happy medium between anal retentive and a slob who neglects his gear.

I've never understood the "battle worn" thing at all. It is one thing that a firearm, even a well kept one, ages over time and with use. But to deliberately expend time and money on such a finish simply does not compute.

It's like an elephant pausing to reflect on the skeletons at an elephant graveyard. It's like a hungry neckbeard discovering a missed morsel in said beard.
That dirty filthy gun is a time machine that speaks of a time when ammo was so common to have been actually shot.
maybe

Like sniffing a fart to reminisce about the chili dogs and pickled eggs of last night, forgetting you puked them up on your doorstep after drinking a fifth of fireball and 7 IPAs?

I've never understood the "battle worn" thing at all. It is one thing that a firearm, even a well kept one, ages over time and with use. But to deliberately expend time and money on such a finish simply does not compute.

Falls right in with stolen valor idiots.

I've noticed it to some extent too and the extreme neglect is disgusting. I don't know what it is a thing.

I used to be very fastidious about cleaning firearms as my father was, and likely still is in his advanced age, almost fanatical about that sort of thing, so he taught his children accordingly. These days I'm no where near as meticulous as in years past, but the firearms are not outright neglected, and when they need a thorough cleaning, they get just that. Like so many things, there has to be a happy medium between anal retentive and a slob who neglects his gear.

I remember sitting on the floor with my Dad, each of us with a green wool blanket laying in front of us with a disassembled M1A on top of it, going over each part. Assembly, disassembly, where to oil, where to grease, etc. I think it was valuable and taught about taking care of all things, not just my rifle.

You wouldn't believe the condition some of the guns were in that were being dragged into the gun buy back programs Portland put on years ago.
I bought a bunch of pistols that were so dirty, you couldn't open the slide and yet some that were mint in box.

Last Edited:
I can't wait for the Keyboard Commandos to chime in how their "battle worn" rifle is just as good as a well maintained one. Especially looking forward to hearing about those "battles".

:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads