Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Beard

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Oregonhunter5, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

I'm about 3 weeks in, and holding strong. Wife loves it.
    Question. I'm in the white collar world. Is a beard ok to you guys?
    Rather be blue collar anyday!

orygun and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

These days I think a decently trimmed beard is OK in white collar world. George Zimmer, best dressed white dude out there has a beard, I guarantee it.
    I have gone from a good sized mustache and goatee to a ear to ear beard but not going for Duck Dynasty look yet. Wife likes it full & trimmed and done right makes my face look better. YMMV
    In my profile pic I was north of Nome gold mining so my trimmed beard rapidly got untrimmed
    Brutus Out

3. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I grow a beard every year for elk season. I used to wear one year round. I haven't been a white collar guy for a few years, but neatly trimmed, close cropped was always acceptable.

4. Old as Dirt

Old as Dirt Pacific NW Active Member

ZZ Top "trim" here.. LOL, for sure not white collar... :bluelaugh: Jesus just left Chicago..

zz_top_pic.jpg

Caveman Jim and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Brutus57

On his way to New Orleans....

Old as Dirt and (deleted member) like this.
  6. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I left white collar for blue collar. Couldn't be happier. Not the same paycheck, but life isn't all about a paycheck.

7. Old as Dirt

Muddy water turned to wine...

8. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

I stop trimming in August & will trim again in Feb or March. Wife says it makes me look old but "Hey, I am old, Jack"!!!! Plus it keeps me warm and toasty in the duck blind & the sled chasin winter steel!!!!

To each his own but would rather have ice on my beard & stache than my face, frostbite anyone???

9. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It's okay if you keep it trimmed and shaped from the start. Keep it short! Don't go all ZZ on 'em!

10. Old as Dirt

Sarge... comfortable is... what you have to work with.. OK.. and Snickerdoodles ROCK!!!

11. Oregonhunter5

I couldn't agree more. I have four young children, so that's not cheap. But the amount of stress I carry is literally killing me. My thoughts get very bad sometimes. If you know what I mean..

12. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I suppose that your right, but when your as handsome as I neatly trimmed is almost mandatory! The world deserves to see my grill!

13. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

And the name of the drummer who shaves his chin is...?

14. Brutus57

I keep getting bit in the arse by stuff I thought was finite with the ex since the divorce was 5 years old. One woman I never shoulda listened to. Fortunately my last and second wife is a wonderful friend and helpmate. She wants to take up the bow for prepping on top of all her great canning and food storage.
    So I am looking for a good used bow for her.

15. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Beard...

16. ejmpnu92

ejmpnu92 Hillsboro, Or Active Member

Beards in the white collar world are ok, as long as they are neat. A neat shaggy is even ok. Been to a couple different fabs around the country and the management is all over the board on this. I would never go "Duck Dynasty" but I keep my a little bushy but neatly trimmed. It is the difference between considered a back woods hick and a professional. Sure it is a fine line. I used to sport a large droopy mustache and people would treat me like a outlaw biker. Now with my beard, first impressions are a lot better... even the women look at me better...(second looks are nice)

17. cwegga

cwegga Helena, MT Active Member

It really depends. I work in IT and beards are pretty normal in the my field. Other white collar maybe not so much. a neatly trimmed beard should be ok pretty much anywhere but don't take for granted how it makes people react to you. I've met many people that just think beards look bad no matter what. Beards make it harder for people to make out your expression/emotions so if you are rocking a beard pay attention and work on smiling bigger or other ways to communicate friendliness/happiness to counteract those who will think you are angry or stern looking with a beard.

All that said I do what I want with my face and people don't complain. Right now I haven't trimmed it in 4 months or so except to keep the mustache out of my mouth. But over a year, I rotate between full beard, friendly sideburns, fu manchu, stacheless goatee and brief stints of clean shaven to reset for the next phase.

18. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

You don't need a permit or permission to be awesome.

19. Oregonhunter5

Lol. Post of the month.
    Awesome

20. TKevlar

TKevlar Eugene, Oregon, United States Active Member

A man without a beard is a woman.