Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Bearcat Vehicle

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by trainsktg, Feb 19, 2012.

1. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

If I were a resident of this town, I'd be a little apprehensive too. Don't forget to check out the marketing video at the bottom.

Police 'Tank' Purchase Riles New Hampshire Town

Sorry, but there are several problem with uparmoring police vehicles. Besides the obvious loss of the 'local policing' concept, any street gang, drug lord or terrorist could easily come up with an IED to take this thing out. I do not see the advantage to police safety as it is essentially painting a big target on their backs.

My favorite quote from the article: "This is going to happen. It has already happened. To resist now would be like saying police officers should scrap the Glock and go back to the revolver. It's a fantasy."

Keith

2. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Beware the military-industrial complex

By Robert Reich

President Obama is mulling an executive order to force big government contractors to disclose their political spending. He should issue it immediately. But he should go further -- banning all political activity by companies receiving more than half their revenues from the U.S. government.

Consider Lockheed Martin, the nation's largest contractor. It's received more than $19 billion in federal contracts so far this year. According to the Center for Responsive Politics, Lockheed has already spent over $3 million lobbying Congress this year.

Lockheed supports a platoon of Washington lawyers and lobbyists dedicated to getting more federal contracts. Sixty-four of Lockheed's lobbyists are former congressional staffers, Pentagon officials and White House aides. Lockheed has also been spending more than $3 million a year on political contributions to friendly members of Congress. On top of this, Lockheed gives money to the Aerospace Industries Association to lobby for a bigger defense budget and support members of Congress who will vote accordingly. But we don't know how much because it's secret. We don't even know how much Lockheed is giving the U.S. Chamber of Commerce to lobby against the president's proposed executive order requiring disclosure of its political activities. That's secret, too.

Don't we have a right to know? After all, you and I and other taxpayers are Lockheed's biggest customer. As such, we're financing much of this lobbying and donating. Lockheed's political activities are built into its costs. So when Lockheed contracts with the federal government for a piece of military equipment, you and I and other taxpayers end up paying for a portion of these political activities.

It's one of the most insidious conflicts of interest in American politics.

Lockheed is hardly alone in using taxpayer money to get fatter contracts from taxpayers. The 10 biggest government contractors are all defense contractors. Every one of them gets most of its revenues from the federal government. And every one uses a portion of that money to lobby for even more defense contracts.

Lockheed recently delivered a budget bombshell with a proposed tab of more than $1 trillion for a fleet of F-35 joint-strike fighter jets. That doesn't even include $385 billion that the Defense Department will spend to buy 2,500 of the stealth planes.

Tom Burbage of Lockheed acknowledged that the "t" word, as he gently put it, "causes a lot of sensational reaction ... because no one ever dealt with 't's before in the program." That's an understatement. Congress is nonetheless willing to fund these mammoth projects as if the nation didn't have a long-term budget crisis.

Brace yourself. In the wake of last year's Supreme Court decision, Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, there's no limit on what Lockheed and other defense contractors can spend on politics.

But why should you and I and other taxpayers pay Lockheed to lobby for the trillion-dollar F-35 and support politicians who will vote for it? Why should we pay for the political activities of Northrop-Grumman and Boeing to come up with even more aerospace weapons systems? Or for Raytheon and General Dynamics to procure more high-tech weapons? Or for Blackwater and Halliburton to procure more private military contract workers?

The answer is, we shouldn't.

Over a half-century ago, President Dwight Eisenhower warned of the dangers of an unbridled military-industrial complex, as he called it. It's now a military-industrial-congressional complex. And after Citizens United, it's more unbridled than ever.

Robert Reich, former U.S. secretary of labor, is professor of public policy at the University of California at Berkeley. He blogs at Robert Reich.

3. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Well you better be apprehensive because PDX has them too. Most major and moderate size cities/towns have them. Not saying it is right, just saying they exist.

4. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Well, technically I'm in Scappoose, not Ptld, and I would certainly be at city hall voicing my opinion were one considered here.

5. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Oregon MRT (mobile response team) is part of the state patrol and they do have armored vehicles. They respond all over the state. Again not an argument just letting you know, if you didnt.

6. FullCaliberII

FullCaliberII Pierce County, WA Active Member

Pretty sure almost all local SWAT teams have that same rig or a variation of it. This is nothing new.

7. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Why does a 23,000 person community's police force need a APC? I don't really think it matters if its a gift from Homeland Security.

"This is going to happen. It has already happened. To resist now would be like saying police officers should scrap the Glock and go back to the revolver. It's a fantasy."

If it meant that the police would demilitarize a bit, maybe that fantasy should be pursued.

Redcap, Blitzkrieg, mjbskwim and 3 others like this.
  8. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Winner, most local if not all SWAT teams have one or some version of them. It's been that way for decades, police with armored vehicles is nothing new.

Now, if I lived in a town of 23000 and my PD was getting one I would be raising a stink, as I really can't seen a justification for it. The only justification I could see was if they had no SWAT team that would responded to there area when needed. In Oregon OSP's SWAT will respond anywhere in the state. Take the occurrence in Milton-Freewater a while ago, sleepy little small town has a murderer on the loose, so OSP SWAT goes out to assist to look for them. Maybe this sort of inter-agency support doesn't exists in NH? Regardless it's all speculation.

9. evltwn

evltwn Gold Hill Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Whatever it takes for LEO's to go home in one piece is worth it, imho.

10. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Google "tank traps" people, they are easily defeated

11. Blitzkrieg

Depends on who and what they are and what their intent is. I want to support US cops but many agencies are now rogue and guilty of murder most foul

12. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

How long has it been since retired officer Oates was roughed up by a rogue LEO near your little town? Haven't there been a lot of scandals and small town fighting in Gold Hill? What's the current status of Gold Hill's police farce? Is it still there, gone or back again, or is the Sheriff's dept. doing the policing for Gold Hill again? Which is it today? What happened to your infamous tough guy chief of police? Did they finally can the SOB? For a town of about 1,200 souls, it sure is a mess.

I'm tired of the militarization of the police. They even have the military uniforms for SWAT. "Whatever it takes for them to go home in one piece." As far as I'm concerned, if they are going to spend OUR money on that crap and act the way they do, that one piece they go home with can be their left leg.

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  13. rolandson

rolandson Oregon Active Member

Seriously!? This is like Lake Oswego, or Ashland, or Cottage Grove, or Redmond getting one of these things. Might look quite spiffy for the Fourth of July parade, but what is it going to do for the rest of the year?

14. Blitzkrieg

What really tees me off is these agencies get free "obsolete" APCs and Tanks and the rest are literally deep sixed with no offer of purchase or gifting to to the real militia

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  15. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I saw Ocean Shores built a huge (like a south Seattle station would look?) fire station.Apparently Homeland Security funds. Oh they bought the trucks to match.

Gunfix have you seen the military looking goon cop squad from over by Kingston? They were in Starbucks in Sequim one day.Figure some Navy training team until I saw the cop cars.Well Suburbans

Made me all warm and fuzzy.

It was the Suquamish PD

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Even at the cost of you going home in one piece? Wake up.

17. eganx

eganx Kingston WA Active Member

uuhhh yeah, I live in Kingston and we don't have a police department here. Maybe you mean from one of the reservations????

EDIT - aah I see you updated the post......suquamish was actually a local meth factory when I was growing up. It is supposed to be a little better now but there was a shoot out with the police a few months ago when they tried to serve a warrant.

If the police need to be militarized there is something wrong with the society. Which is why I choose to live in a city without a police department.

18. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

"over by kingston" Then I edited it,It was the Suquamish PD all dressed up in full military digicammo and dropleg holsters.They didn't look native though

19. evltwn

evltwn Gold Hill Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

For starters, my mailing address is Gold Hill, but I am 10 miles out of town. Second, if you saw the video of Ron resisting arrest, you would perhaps have a more accurate view of that incident. It is also worth noting that the deputy sued for being fired and...wait for it...won his case. The Sheriff's office has been patrolling Gold Hill for a few years now. Perhaps a little fact checking would be in order...inconvenient, I realize, but nontheless...and in the spirit of full disclosure, or at least as much as I am willing to share, I work in conjunction with Jackson County Sheriff's department, and and am well aware of their strengths and weaknesses...God bless them in their efforts to protect all of us...even the haters among us.

20. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

eb6.jpg

Gunner3456 and (deleted member) like this.