JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Look at it this way, would you intentionally hunt Brown bear with a .30-30? The .44 magnum doesn't match it. Read what gehrheart and oli700 posted, their only telling the truth.

I spent six years wandering around the Bristol bay area working line construction in some beautiful and remote locations and found the .44 magnum I carried to be a small comfort, the shotgun a bigger one. I never had any real issues with Brown bear, but some close calls. Those damned cow Moose with calf on the other hand, you really have to pay attention to them.

Here is what you need:

<broken link removed>

Can't imagine what firing a .500 S&W out of a 2.75" barrel is like...I suppose a broken wrist is preferable to being eaten by a bear. You'll probably project a 15' streak of flame and set Mr. Bruin on fire.

There are two different reasons to carry a firearm while in big bear country.

1. To create a perception of safety so that people can go about their business without freaking out because they are really just a "meal waiting to happen." In this category, choose bear spray or a knife or any caliber from 22 long rifle and up and feel confident that you will be fine. Now go and enjoy your wilderness experience.

2. To give you a good chance of returning alive. Start by ignoring the advice given in example 1. Get a 12 gauge pump with slugs or a 45-70 or a 375 H&H Magnum and learn how to use it. See a big bear? Back away slowly while staying ready to smash and break its shoulder with one or more massive slugs. Stay alert while you are in bear country, big bears walk very quietly.

.454 loaded w 2400 - the flame from a short barrel will undoubtedly blind the bear and make it lose it's sense of smell. But You have to wait until they are close enough.

revolver.jpg

If you're able to hit the bear at the same time - that 's a bonus.

Another option is to surrender your. That's mostly all the bears care about. My wife took this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1TB6hugdKI on the Russian river a couple of years ago. (But since the OP is not going fishing I guess that doesn't apply)

revolver.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews