JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Seeing that the season opens up Aug 1st, was curious if anyone had any advice for someone that is new to it? I will be going out with a 30.06 probably going to be shooting 180gr is that good enough? I do have a buddy that works for the BLM out of Eugene that is keeping an eye out for any while hes out and about. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I usually take vacation the third week of August every year for bear hunting in SW Washington. From my past experiences and that which I have learned from others... the best advice is to look for their food source. Berries are usually ripe in August so look for berries patches (huckelberries, blackberries, etc). Most often I hear a bear before I see them. They tend to stick to thick underbrush and are often times out early in the morning and later in the evening, often times sleeping and laying low during the heat of the day. I have also called in bears using a rabbit distress call or injured critter call. Be aware of your surroundings while doing this. I have had em come in charging and can be quite a rush of adrenaline to the system. Very fun!!! Good Luck

Do the callers work pretty good? I have been reading online and been seeing mixed reactions, so wasnt sure if someone has had luck with them up here. My brother-in-law gets the tag so he can have an excuse to have his gun with him and doesnt go out of his way to hunt them. He got one a few years back sitting and sunning itself on a rock.

My advice would be to just take some bacon and eggs up and cook yourself breakfast prior to going out to hunt. It's not your fault if the wind currents take the sweet aroma out and help bring the bears in :)

I'm no expert with calls by any means, however, I have called in a bear while actually being out hunting for coyotes...I have used both electronic calls (foxpro) and mouthcalls. If I am hunting alone I chose the electronic calls so that the animals are directed away from me and out into a visible location. I also call for a longer period of time and louder than by mouth. With other hunters I typically use my mouth calls. I like having someone watching my back... you never know when a cat is sneaking in the back door. I usually set up on high landings with a good view. Coyotes are notorious for coming in around the outsides. I always carry my handgun with me while I am in the woods. Better to have it and not need it!

I typically always go for spring bears. The way I've done it (since you can't use bait anymore) is like any other type of hunting I do: get where they are, get up early, get up high where you can see, and hunker down with your spotting scope. Once you spot one, figure out how you can put a hunt on it. More importantly, figure out how you'll get it out of wherever you shoot it. They aren't like deer or elk that have antlers to stop them, so if you pop one on a bare hillside most likely it'll roll to the bottom. May not be an issue where you go, but I usually head towards Hells Canyon or the Imnaha. It has also been my experience that you want to carry a stout sidearm incase the critter goes into the shrubbery. And a 30.06 is plenty of rifle, I usually use a 25.06.

I typically always go for spring bears. The way I've done it (since you can't use bait anymore) is like any other type of hunting I do: get where they are, get up early, get up high where you can see, and hunker down with your spotting scope. Once you spot one, figure out how you can put a hunt on it. More importantly, figure out how you'll get it out of wherever you shoot it. They aren't like deer or elk that have antlers to stop them, so if you pop one on a bare hillside most likely it'll roll to the bottom. May not be an issue where you go, but I usually head towards Hells Canyon or the Imnaha. It has also been my experience that you want to carry a stout sidearm incase the critter goes into the shrubbery. And a 30.06 is plenty of rifle, I usually use a 25.06.

Good advice!

Yes the 30-06 is more than enough gun for a bear hunt or Elk. Even Moose or Grizzly if you have the desire.

The 25-06 is one of the sweetest dual purpose calibers they ever made. I am surprised its not more popular. Flat shooting and has enough beans for most Oregon game. Nice light recoil and easy to shoot accurately.

Yeah I am going to look into boring a sidearm, I will most likely be going with a friend that will be using a .30-.30 so hopefully between us we will have enough fire power just in case. I will be making a stop at Cabela's this weekend and will check out their callers. I know I want to get a Cougar tag and head up to the Marcola area so it would be be good for both.

We will definetly think before we shoot with the whole lug it back to the truck aspect. I am also currently going to be searching the net for how to gut them properly and all that. I was told to make sure to have a couple sharp knives with us.

there are alot of med size blk bear in sw wa. mainly clark/skamania line. All the logging is pushing them down and there have been quite a lot of sightings compared to normal.

Good advice!

Yes the 30-06 is more than enough gun for a bear hunt or Elk. Even Moose or Grizzly if you have the desire.

The 25-06 is one of the sweetest dual purpose calibers they ever made. I am surprised its not more popular. Flat shooting and has enough beans for most Oregon game. Nice light recoil and easy to shoot accurately.

SSSSSSHHHHH!!!! I don't want there to be a run on components!

All advice has been good so far. As you read you have a few different options to hunt bear.

Option #1 - Distress calls work, fawn distress or rabbit distress. I prefer mouth over electronic because you can put emotion in them. I've heard of people calling in a bear after several hours of calling. However, rule of thumb is if nothing has responded within 40 minutes it's time to move on to the next spot. With this method be prepared as the list of animals respond is long. Deer, Cougar, Coyote, Bear, Bobcat, Birds of Prey.

Option #2 - Find the food. Bears are nomads, going where their nose takes them. If you know of berry patches that come ripe in Aug - Sept, you'll surely find bears.

Option #3
- Spot & Stalk. Get high on a ridge or hill side and scan 4-5 year old clear cuts or grassy ridges.

Good Luck!

Good evening,
Without anyone giving up their favorite hunting place; I live in Olympia. Could someone give me a few suggestions to go for bear hunting? Thanks and I appreciate all input. Please PM me also with any ohter comments.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I watched an very interesting episode of the series "Maneaters" on the Animal Planet channel this weekend that was about bear attacks.

It was interesting that they stated that attacks by Black bears in the US, while less frequent than Grizzly attacks, are more often fatal than Grizzly attacks. They said that while playing dead can oft times stop a Grizzly attack the opposite is true if you are attacked by a Black bear. They said Black bears usually will not stop attacking until their pray is dead and then will immediately start eating them rather than letting the carcass lay for awhile before coming back to eat their kill like Grizzly's often do. Their advice if you get attacked by a Black bear is don't ever stop fighting.

Yeah I am going to look into boring a sidearm, I will most likely be going with a friend that will be using a .30-.30 so hopefully between us we will have enough fire power just in case. I will be making a stop at Cabela's this weekend and will check out their callers. I know I want to get a Cougar tag and head up to the Marcola area so it would be be good for both.

We will definetly think before we shoot with the whole lug it back to the truck aspect. I am also currently going to be searching the net for how to gut them properly and all that. I was told to make sure to have a couple sharp knives with us.

What cabelas are you you talking about did they build one here. I heard rumors but not sure.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top