JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hoping to make my very first bear hunt this fall season. I'll be going up NE Oregon. Whats the best time of the year, is the second week of August too early? Thats the week that works best for my work schedule. Any pointers or tips would also be appreciated for this beginner, thanks in advance!

I'm in a similar boat. Might be hunting more of the Cascades, though. Most of the advice I've seen is to have a tag for something else and if you see a bear shoot it. I don't think that's terribly helpful though. When I've seen people hunt bear on shows and youtube channels, it seems like they're glassing open areas like avalanche chutes, particularly ones that have lots of wild blueberry. I know there's a lot of that kind of country in the Wallowas, so I'd maybe start by getting high up and glassing east facing slopes in the morning. I also assume bears aren't going to be out in the heat of the day, especially as early as August. Maybe get up to your glassing spot by first light, then take a siesta or do some fishing in the middle of the day, and do more glassing in the evenings? I'm eager to hear what more experienced folk have to say.

Your research is pretty parallel to what i've read/watched so we must be on the right track at least haha. I have an elk tag up there also so if I don't get a bear by then i'll be looking for them on that hunt as well! I don't know the season of the huckleberries and other berries up there if early August is a good time when they're ripe!

The bears where I hunt are active early season...
As mentioned above...the "prime berry" season of August and September is a good time for bear.

Look for patches of berries...and bear scat.
Stake out that area....get in early and wait.....

Signs of bear feeding on a berry patch are large areas of the patch torn up or "swiped" clean...as bears tend to use their paws to "scoop" berries , leaves , stems and all into their mouths....Deer feeding signs are the patch looking like it was over pruned and cut with sharp scissors....

Sit quiet and wait , watching the area with bear sign...no sudden movements....keep track of the wind...no smoking...
Early evening and early morning seems the best times....but....bears can be found moving about in the day as well..
Patience is your friend here...as well as luck....
Andy

Well, my usual joke is to advise Westsiders/Outsiders to stay home. But I'll play nice this time.

The thing is, I have lived here in NE Oregon since 1980 and have hiked and hunted everywhere, and never saw a bear during daylight hours. Tho I have heard from people that accidentally ran into one. However, I know they are here because I have heard them playing and grumbling and growling all night long not too far from my campsites.

I think the advice about scouting/examining huckleberry patches for scat is probably good. To me, black bear don't seem to move around from their sleeping areas to forage all that much.

Tho I don't think much of bear meat, and would no more shoot a bear than I would a baby elephant or giraffe, I wish you the best...

bb

The bears where I hunt are active early season...
As mentioned above...the "prime berry" season of August and September is a good time for bear.

Look for patches of berries...and bear scat.
Stake out that area....get in early and wait.....

Signs of bear feeding on a berry patch are large areas of the patch torn up or "swiped" clean...as bears tend to use their paws to "scoop" berries , leaves , stems and all into their mouths....Deer feeding signs are the patch looking like it was over pruned and cut with sharp scissors....

Sit quiet and wait , watching the area with bear sign...no sudden movements....keep track of the wind...no smoking...
Early evening and early morning seems the best times....but....bears can be found moving about in the day as well..
Patience is your friend here...as well as luck....
Andy
Thanks Andy! I appreciate it very much!

Well, my usual joke is to advise Westsiders/Outsiders to stay home. But I'll play nice this time.

The thing is, I have lived here in NE Oregon since 1980 and have hiked and hunted everywhere, and never saw a bear during daylight hours. Tho I have heard from people that accidentally ran into one. However, I know they are here because I have heard them playing and grumbling and growling all night long not too far from my campsites.

I think the advice about scouting/examining huckleberry patches for scat is probably good. To me, black bear don't seem to move around from their sleeping areas to forage all that much.

Tho I don't think much of bear meat, and would no more shoot a bear than I would a baby elephant or giraffe, I wish you the best...

bb
Thanks for your advice and your hospitality allowing me in your back yard!:)

When I was working up in Parkdale above Hood River/Odell, the woods around the pear/apple farms were full of black bear, especially the West side near Red Butte where the slopes were full of huckleberry's. Lots of deer too.

Bears will still be active in the heat of the day, theyll just tend to be in the timber, in the shade, and near water. Find areas of timber with a good ground cover of berries. Sneak in there and make fawn noises. Make sure your scope is set as low as it will go. All of my bears except 1 have been mid day kills. Theyre far more active during the day than at night. Tracking collar data proves this. And i run dozens of cameras in a part of the country with an extremely high bear density and 95+% of my bear pics are broad daylight. Try to sound like this.

Bears will still be active in the heat of the day, theyll just tend to be in the timber, in the shade, and near water. Find areas of timber with a good ground cover of berries. Sneak in there and make fawn noises. Make sure your scope is set as low as it will go. All of my bears except 1 have been mid day kills. Theyre far more active during the day than at night. Tracking collar data proves this. And i run dozens of cameras in a part of the country with an extremely high bear density and 95+% of my bear pics are broad daylight. Try to sound like this.

Awesome! Thanks for that!!

Yeah can't they smell you like 5mi away or something like that?!

I buy a Bear and Cougar tag ever year. But never actively go hunting for either.
just in case I see one.

I've always wanted to go Bear hunting, just haven't had the time.

I was always told to glass clear cuts,draws, and ridges.
be patient, glass slow.
that round dark mound on a hillside might not be a stump or rock.

If you ain't seein' bears during daylight hours, you gotta change the "lure" you're usin' :

x8JAYMXm.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads