JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got the fun on watching a smaller black bear just come with in 20-30yds of me and just keep on going about his business. Was actually pretty cool. Too bad I was bird hunting and didn't have a bear tag. But I wouldn't have wanted to hike that guy 300-400yds up a nasty clear cut to my rig by myself. Enjoying the nature is a much better way to spend the afternoon than doing that.

That is a cool video.

Little black bears like that are nothing to be scared of they spook off quite easy. Most summers I have several of them like that around the house. Not uncommon to see them within 25-30 yards of the house.

Even knowing what I know about bears, I think I may have been a little more spooked than that guy when it started up the ladder. Nice point of view video.

Three weeks in the Alaskan bush this past summer and we only had one close encounter with a brown while rafting/camping near a spawning stream. The more we hollered at him to leave, the more curious he got. I would've slept pretty well that night had I not awoke with fingernails in my arm every time my girlfriend heard something outside.

Very cool. He looked sooooo cuddly. :p I believe I would have done a similar thing, just about two rungs sooner!

Also, makes me think about packing a video camera into the treestand next year.

It would have been interesting to see a heart monitor on the hunter as the situation went from "casually observing nature" to a potentially scarey situation.

That was cool. Like others, I'm glad the bear didn't get popped. Sometimes its nice to just let them live for another day.... that is unless you are targeting bears. LOL

its funny how people dont realize black bears are nothing like grizzly bears. Black bears are nothing to be afraid of unless you put them in a bad spot, then I might be afraid

its funny how people dont realize black bears are nothing like grizzly bears. Black bears are nothing to be afraid of unless you put them in a bad spot, then I might be afraid

bull crap. they're capable of completely trashing you, and they're wild animals. this is basically THE criteria for whether or not you should be afraid of something. check, and check. be afraid of bears, or end up like tim treadwell.

I agree. Most years I have them in my yard all summer. And by yard I do mean yard/driveway not on the back 40.

This is not to say see if you can go pet one but you dont bother them they dont bother you.

A few years back, a 300# police officer I know who regularly competes in Highland Games (ie his bulk is hardened muscle, not donuts) got tangled up with a 300# black bear. It messed him up pretty bad. I'm not sure of the exact circumstances, but black bears deserve an incredible amount of respect.

Generally they are harmless, but its best not to intimidate them. The guy in this video did the right thing.

Keith

:s0155:
bull crap. they're capable of completely trashing you, and they're wild animals. this is basically THE criteria for whether or not you should be afraid of something. check, and check. be afraid of bears, or end up like tim treadwell.

Most will cut and run at the first sign of you,, but some of the older boars I've come across,, not so much.
One needs to keep in mind that although you may perceive them as cowards that run at the sight of man, they are apex predators that if in the right mood can easily make a real mess of your day. Go to Google and look up "documented modern bear attacks" The lowly blackbear is far out front of the grizzly for attack/consumptions.
I've harvested many bear and only had problems with a couple, but those couple were enough to make me believe they were very dangerous animals indeed.

Most will cut and run at the first sign of you,, but some of the older boars I've come across,, not so much.
One needs to keep in mind that although you may perceive them as cowards that run at the sight of man, they are apex predators that if in the right mood can easily make a real mess of your day. Go to Google and look up "documented modern bear attacks" The lowly blackbear is far out front of the grizzly for attack/consumptions.
I've harvested many bear and only had problems with a couple, but those couple were enough to make me believe they were very dangerous animals indeed.

As said, normally they run. However they're wild predators with enormous strength and black bears attack much more than grizzlies do.

Watch from a distance and pull the trigger when legally able to provide good eating and a nice rug. :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top