JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
C'mon, worry harder...and buy lots of freeze dried stuff cuz ah, it's like food prozac...

I can't. I'd probably pull a groin muscle.
My blood pressure and attitude mellowed out a lot when I stopped watching
the media's news programs. Or reading every scary little article on how we are going to die.

True story: We have a friend that had very high blood pressure.
He went to the doctor.
Turns out he was glued to the news 24/7 and scaring himself 1/2 to death doing so.
The doctor actually wrote a prescription on a script pad telling him to stop watching the news.
Somehow he managed to follow through on it.
6 months later he went back for a checkup and his blood pressure was down significantly.
His attitude had mellowed out also.

I am way too old to go around fretting about the 10,000 ways I could die.
I know how I will die. My heart will stop beating. What causes that to happen?..who knows.
A few hours later I will begin to smell weird.
I won't care. I'll be dead........o_O

Yeah, well, some folks enjoy 'worrying' so much, it's evolved into a sport/hobby...some of this tribe called themselves 'preppers' and think if the SHTF they'll manage when most others die, cuz freeze dried food will ward off all the bad joo-joo, it has the 'power' to save...honest, really, it's true...

Death isn't a bad thing.

Just means you go back to the state you were in before you realized you're alive.

Not a problem.

The problem is how you get there.

Long and suffering (bad) or "Edna, it's the big one" as you clutch your chest, gasp and croak on the spot, (good) which of course is how you want to disengage...and go back to the bliss you once enjoyed and was snatched out of...

No of course not planning on killing anyone, but ask anyone who survived a Killer Quake, especially subduction zone type. like Japan, whose death toll was 20k due to the quake and the resulting tsunami. That death toll is close to half the population of Lincoln City Oregon and the Cascadia quake will span 3 states and BC, so you can imagine the death toll being in at least the tens of thousands as the researchers point out, although I think that's a conservative figure since the tsunami would be miles wide, one thing for certain Seattle will not survive it with an estimated close to a million population how much of that population will be part of the overall death toll is hard to say , we can base what to inspect on the other subduction zone quakes like Sumatra estimated mag 9.1-9.3 and just how violent the quake was and just how many survived in the case of that quake the death toll was surprisingly lower it was the Myanmar tsunami that killed more people . So what's my point you are probably wondering, it pretty much comes down to odds of surviving, the closer you are to the coast the lower your odds are as the ground will become very unstable, massive landslides and the earth pretty much opening up, anyone who is interested can to go to OPBs Aftershock page enter their zip or address and you will be able to find out what to expect as far as intensity etc. If you live in the coastal mountains the intensity on a scale from 1-10 will be around a 10 , that's extremely intense, structural damage is imminent no matter what you live in except maybe a geo dome then there is is ground deformation and interruption of services is over a year easily including medical being around 3 or longer that's probably because every road from the coastal mountains to I-5 will be destroyed. So as for prepping IF you survive, one better have reliable ATVs a horse that is lucky enough to survive or a helicopter that's still is in tact or they are not going to be able to leave the area and will have to wait for rescuers for quite some time, my guess would be National Guard from either Idaho or SoCal or other states or airlifts not affected since most of the Pac NW guard will either be too busy with their own families and picking up the pieces in their own neighborhoods, any way you slice it will be massive chaos and destruction there is no debating that.Of course there are worse places to be like Yellowstone when it blows but that's another subject and we don't live in that region.
The only thing I can say about this is.
" Oh well..."
All you can do is prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
Worrying about the imminent mega-death is pointless. Plan for living through th he disaster and beyond. If it kills you then Oh well. If you survive you will/may be in a far better position than those who didn't prep at all.
Good luck in the coming apocalypse.;)

How dare you defer to my bliss in such a manner. 1575320278369.png 1575320419754.png

Yeah, well, some folks enjoy 'worrying' so much, it's evolved into a sport/hobby...some of this tribe called themselves 'preppers' and think if the SHTF they'll manage when most others die, cuz freeze dried food will ward off all the bad joo-joo, it has the 'power' to save...honest, really, it's true...
Now I'm curious

Is your plan to just die then?
I mean it has its pluses.
You don't waste time or money on prepping.
The extra money is available for trips and cool stuff.
You won't waste mental energy worrying about doomsday.
And best of all, in the afterlife you can laugh at all the preppers who died despite their preps and plans
:D

GWS,

Well said.

Now remember, I have the luxury of my perspective cuz I'm a geezer.

If I croak before my next key stroke, I've lived long and prospered and think I've had a good run.

Now, my offspring...nothing I can do for them except say me casa, su case and all the goodies within...oh, and I've made out my will leaving them everything. That is after my wife croaks after me, at least that's my hope. Once she bites the dust, she won't need anything though my loved ones beyond her will...

If she craps out first, well, denial of that possibility keeps me, to a degree, sane...

My plan is to be of help to others.

It'll depend on where I am, part of the time I am in SE Asia, and parto of the time I am in SW Oregon, and the two will likely have very different outcomes from the same event.

If I am there in SW Oregon, then I will do my best to help myself and my neighbors. I am prepped there.

If I am here, I will fly back and help folks from my community and whatevers left of my family.

That is the plan.

regional travel will be available, and probably some small bergs air fields will be ok. More than likely, after a big event, then Martial law will be in place, and travel will be very restricted. Long sections of roadways will still be good, but the bridges and onramps maybe destroyed.

It will be damned difficult for people to come and go as they please. They will want to keep people contained in camps and places that are easy to secure, FEMA camps I would guess.

Imagine if I-5 and I-205 Bridges over the Columbia fail... You'd have to drive to Patterson and take the ferry (if it is still there) or bridge of the gods (and you may not be able to get to it)

In a perfect scenario and in good conditions, you can ride a bike from Portland to Medford in 3 days, but with weather being crappy, bike breakdowns, flat tires, and limited freedom, it could take much much longer.

I did it, but I was riding at the peak of my game and getting in around 400 miles a week back then. I was 20 years younger and about 20 lbs lighter.

May have to mtn bike, or walk part way. (if) you can get passage.

Last Edited:
Dang, Red Dog. I turned off that video at 2:26 and wanted that time back. The dude reminds me of a gerbil on a wheel, running faster because of the cat staring into its cage.

My wife wants to move, I want to be here when shake-n-bake happens. Chances are I'll be somewhere else.

Plates gonna subduct, earth gonna shake -- aren't we all s'posed to be dead already?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top