JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If somebody saw a train headed straight towards them, why would they stand there on the tracks?

What about if someone saw a train plow into a schoolbus? Wouldn't they go over and help out with the aftermath or just watch?

While it may not be possible to stop the train, it is possible to be ready for the accident and to help others that need it afterwards.

Dude. This ain't no train.

I see where this is going, and I maybe an odd man out. I'm not a survivalist, I'm a survivor. I'm always prepared as best as I can be for whatever. So here's an example: I was coming back from the coast on Hiway 138 and saw an Oak tree come down across the road blocking the road. I was the 3rd car back so walked up and saw no one was hurt. 20 people were on their cell phones reporting the tree. I walked back to my pickup and got my pruners saw out and cleared one lane of travel in about 15 minutes.

Sigh. The event mentioned in the OP isn't a train. Or a tree falling. It's a global killer. Yellowstone's potential yield is greater than all the nukes on earth combined.

Come on.

For reference, some estimates put it at 600 MILLION times more powerful than Hiroshima. Now I know that was just a little guy by today's standards, but all the nukes on earth can't hold a candle to that.

So no, this ain't about survival or trying to be a hero and save others. It's about death. End of life on earth. That's all folks.

LOL, global killer, really? Then we all get to find out what's next. I looked at not the time frame but what the effects of the said 9.0 subduction zone earthquake might for me here in the south end of the Willamette Valley. 30 seconds to 6 minutes of shaking not strong enough to knock me down. Yes the shaking will cause some infrastructure failures and brick buildings to fall down but that is all.

Yellowstone : truely King kong size blast and Extinction level event.

Cascadia is bad enough but survivable, It also has regularly occurring intervals of activity which make it more predictable.

The main event may not be the worst of it. Imagine how trillions of dollars of infrastructure damage (in the pacific) would impact our country. The humanitarian disaster, and who would rush in to capitalize on the power va ccum amidst the chaos. There would be a scramble to pick up the pieces, and all the big players would be at the table.

It will be a SURPRISE!

At the end you will either be alive or dead. You will either be mobile or immobile.

If you are mobile, you will have the tools on your person or in your vehicle, or hopefully you will be at home.

Start solving problems. Start at the bottom of Maslow's triangle and work your way up.

Your preps and your mindset should be the same whether it happens in 72 hours or 20 years.

The whole thing'd suck. Imagine you & yours surviving a catastrophic earthquake event (Cascadia), plus the Tsunami. Then you all get axed by a volcano. Ugh.

Survive all of the above, including the Volcanic ash yearlong "nuclear winter". Then succumb to an infection following a hand sliced while hauling some deadfall for fuel. Ugh.

Best wishes to all, & we'll help who we can. If we can.

So the 10.0 hits and there is total desruction. I know that we should abandon Washington - heck the entire left coast right now, but someone has to stay to turn the lightsout.

When the Big One hits, I'm sure other countries of the world will rush to our aid. Such as the US does to most of them when disaster hits.

If the Cascadia truly cuts loose, most will be fine...as long as you're east of the 5. If you're west of the 5...not so much. In all honesty you probably won't be able to outrun the coming tidal wave unless you've got a plane or helicopter. But you better get airborne real quick. On the bright side, those that have guessed correctly will now have VERY valuable OCEAN FRONT property.

Good luck! And may the odds be ever in your favor! :)

When this happens, we are going to need people to pitch in and help each other out. Perhaps every cloud has a silver lining. A cataclysmic natural event would likely change things in ways we can not wrap our heads around right now.

If a terrible natural event could really make us shine, as friends, as neighbors, as providers, first responders, caregivers ... as the good dependable men and women that we are (and that are out there) that'd be positive.

Would it not strip away all of the BS that is now the predominant factor in our society to have an incident so truly grave that it was perceived as a miracle to survive?

We live in interesting times.

I-5 west ? ........Oregon will no longer be a blue state and the displaced NW corner people will be oh so welcome on the East side .

Correction - those who survive in NW Oregon will likely die trying to move north, south, or east. Its not reasonable to expect that most vehicles are going to survive unscathed in such a catastrophic event, lots are going to get smashed by falling buildings, trees, or other debris. Others will be destroyed by fire. Roads will be largely impassable. Bicycles, horses, and feet will become the primary means of travel, and refugees will be hoofing it lots of places.

Expect military aircraft to be very busy, along with whatever civilian craft survive. Were I a pilot and I survived and could get my craft airborn, I'm headed out of dodge ASAP with my loved ones.

The west coast will surely go from blue to red - blood red. ROL will effectively be gone. Its going to be a cluster. If things are as bad as they are predicted, I don't see a huge rebuilding effort right away - I see a major relocation program being undertaken, and survivors being relocated throughout CONUS by military air lifts, busses etc. Think the aftermath of Katrina on steroids.

The west coast is going to become very much DMZ like - and it will be subject to eventual clean up and rebuilding efforts, but that would probably take the better part of a century if its as bad as predicted. Maybe there would even be restrictions and new regulations on how future development occurs, major building code changes, upgrades to power and fuel distribution, etc.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top