JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

would this be a good rule?

• Total voters
Being nice and honest are two different things. Of course everyone should be honest, but if for some reason more than one person is hurting your feelings by not being nice, then you are aparently doing something wrong. You stick your neck out on the chopping block every time you post. As far as I've seen it, this site is far mellower and lax then other sites.

One of the problems with the "new America" is the fact we have to constantly watch what we say so we aren't hurting someone's feelings. Outright insults are much different than stating a disagreeing opinion. Rules are for situations that cannot be controlled by common sense and self policing. I think mods and members have done a good job in keeping things under control without more rules.

The following is taken directly from the "rules" page:

1. Spamming, trolling, flaming, personal attacks, and distasteful material are prohibited.

This goes along with the Golden Rule of NorthwestFirearms. We cannot provide a comprehensive list of "Things Not To Say." Posts that are contrary to the rules and policies on this page, or to the mission of NorthwestFirearms.com, may be edited or deleted at our sole discretion. Membership may be revoked if such a step is deemed necessary by us. You can disagree with other members, even vehemently, but it must be done in a well-mannered form. Attack the argument, not the arguer. This forum is a private venture enabled by an all-volunteer staff. Please treat this venue as a polite discussion in a friend's home and respect the wishes of the host.

Generally speaking, everyone is expected to act like respectful adults towards one another. If anyone feels as though they are having issues with other folks "skirting the rules" then please, by all means, use the report feature and bring the issue to the attention of the mods.

While rule revisions are always a possibility, I don't think anyone wants them to be so draconian that the assumption is that everyone can't be expected to act like adults and respectfully agree to disagree.

Wait 'till you get a death threat over the phone because you are "overcharging" on something...... Something that you sold in 2 days and had several responses about..... then see if you want to phrase it in an easier manner.

(I was trying not to mention that)

BTW- If you are the one that made the threat and are reading this..... GOOD LUCK!

If someone made a threat like that I hope you've contacted the police, that's fairly serious business! A bad apple like that isn't going to be stopped by any additional rules on the forum.

You mentioned getting harassed through PMs, usually there's an ignore feature in most forum software that allows you to stop even seeing that the other person is a member. You won't see their posts, get their PMs, all that good stuff. It's not an ideal solution, but this is the internet and anonymity gives people the feeling of power to do and say things they'd never do or say in person, sometimes the best we can do is to simply ignore them.

yes, I unfortunately had to notify the police on that one, but there isn't anything they could do without "substancial evidence of the caller"

the call came in as private and didn't last very long, so they just said to let them know if it continues.

Funny part is that I don't even know for sure what post they were angry over.

Just make sure you've got a report filed so there's a documented starting point and paper trail if it continues.

Sorry to hear about the death threat but, I am a member of many forums that deal with atv's, motorcycles, and pwc's. Join planetsand.com and see how the mods sit back and let things go. There are constant attacks on people, some are just and some are over the top. This is the internet, the toilet of the world. You have to take the good with the bad. I like to stay under the radar, and so far people on here have been extremely helpful and kind. I'd rather read more and post less, but thats just my style.

This is the only weapons siteI belong to but for the most part I think people are informative and respectfull from whatI have seen.
I like people to be honest even if it is not what I want to hear, but some peoplecould use better words and still get the point across.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top