JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a pound of BE-86 yesterday after a quick Googling confirmed it'd work for 10mm. The Alliant site lists some good 10 mm loads for that powder. It would be awesome if they were conservative starting loads.

It was the first time I saw the powder. Anyone used it before with any experience to share?

No, but if you tell me were you found it I'll gladly load some up, chrono, and report :)

Edit: There are a few discussions out there suggesting Alliant's data is hot - I'd reduce by 10% & go.

I also picked up a pound of the BE-86 at the Hillsboro SW as a quick google search showed it to be similar to Unique and Power Pistol and it was only $22. My initial search results described BE-86 as having a burn rate between Unique and Power Pistol, but I got the impression that it more closely resembled Power Pistol. After comparing Alliant's load data it appears to me to be more similar to Unique.

I've not worked up any loads yet so I can't speak about my impressions of the powder, but from what I've read it seems to me that you're essentially getting Unique with a flash suppressor. Right now the big draw for me is the lower price that Sportsman's was charging, but if you look at Powder Valley they are charging the same price as for their other Alliant pistol powders so in the long run it remains to be seen if BE-86 has a lot to offer over its brothers in the Bullseye powder line.

I picked up a pound of BE-86 yesterday after a quick Googling confirmed it'd work for 10mm.
They also had/have some #9 that would be the cat's meow for 180gr and heavier bullets in your 10mm. If you want some stop by this morning and if you don't see any on the shelf ask at the gun counter if they still have any in the back.

Very few pistol powders have lasted a week on their shelves, though a new powder like BE-86 should have had as good a chance as any. I wonder how long before it makes it into the load manuals.

Edit: There are a few discussions out there suggesting Alliant's data is hot - I'd reduce by 10% & go.[/QUOTE]

All loads are MAX loads and must be reduced 10-12% for a start load. This should be somewhere on the page or the introduction to the load site.

You're right! Guess my big nose was obscuring the larger type bolded font when I read it;-).
Still haven't had time to try it out yet. Thinking I might get some brand new brass for the occasion...

My apologies for resurrecting this, but the Hornady 10th manual has BE-86 load data. I'm looking forward to more widespread use of BE-86 and CFE Pistol using this newest manual.

Haven't used Hornady's but Aliiant is hot. Currently doing 9grs for 155gr JHP. Makes my G20 flipp pretty good. Not chronoed it yet though.

I picked up a pound of BE-86 yesterday after a quick Googling confirmed it'd work for 10mm. The Alliant site lists some good 10 mm loads for that powder. It would be awesome if they were conservative starting loads.

It was the first time I saw the powder. Anyone used it before with any experience to share?

The Alliant WARNING pages states to reduce loads by 10%...to start
:D
Edit: oops sorry for the echo post:oops:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show