JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It is standard Colt TDP.

I'm not doubting you. I remember taking apart my first Bushmaster (it was my first AR) and the castle nut wasn't staked.

If I'm being completely honest, I never staked them on my first dozen builds or so. It wasn't until I stumbled across someone talking about it that I started doing it. I never had any issues either. Maybe I got lucky. I wouldn't advise not doing it now.

I don't think staking a castle nut (or lack thereof) is necessarily a red flag for other issues.
In the armorer classes I've taken, this is one of the items always covered.

In short, if shopping for an off the shelf duty gun this is one of two things to check upon picking up the weapon. The other is the presence of a standard buffer rather than a H or H2 buffer. If there is no or crap staking and/or carbine buffer only, there is no need to look further, put it back on the shelf.

Mike Mihalski of SOLGW says the same thing, but then again we both had the same teacher.

I don't think staking a castle nut (or lack thereof) is necessarily a red flag for other issues.
I saw this podcast for the first time about a month ago and it just reaffirmed what I learned from Will Larson over the years. There is a lot of super geek stuff but is worth listening to in its entirety if that is your thing.

Starting a 19:45 is what I'm talking about.