BCM ELW vs Government Profile Barrels

Reactions
Has anyone compared the differences in BCM's Enhanced Lightweight against the government profile barrels? Specifically, I haven't seen anyone comparing the barrel life of the ELW against the government profile. I know it would be a reasonable assumption that the government profile barrel would last longer but is the difference negligible or should it be a real consideration? I tend to put quite a few rounds down range when I am training. I just don't want to get something that is going to be scrap after a few thousand rounds.

Reactions
The way in which you use the barrel has more of a determination on barrel life then profile does. Government profile barrels are the absolute worst profile I can think of. The government profile is there to facilitate the mounting of grenade launchers.

I run a 16 inch .625 Hanson profile barrel which is quite similar to bcms ELW and love it. Also shot an M16A4 quite a bit and much prefer the Hanson profile over the .gov profile

Everyone crows about light weight barrels stringing but unless you're in fallujah running through mag after mag you'll probably be alright with a lighter weight profile. I like how lightweight and printable the rifle is with the lighter weight profile. Lighter weight barrels also cool faster.

titsonritz

Reactions
I like LW barrel with a consistent taper, have two 16" SIONICS, a BCM ELW 14.5", BCM standard 14.5" LW w/ FSP and a Criterion CORE 12.5". I agree the gov profile is lame.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Rimfire Challenge Feb 13th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Project Appleseed
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• A Cut Above Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    They make transfers very easy
    My preferred place for transfers. The staff has always been very friendly. Even with the background checks sometimes taking forever, they are...
  • A Cut Above Pawn
    1.00 star(s)
    met a member to sell a gun
    worst experience I have ever had treat as tho i was stealing from them have you ever met someone and with that initial moment you know there's...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome store
    been shopping here for years now, so has my grandfather. they provide excellent services
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Vendor
    I have not been to the shop yet but have purchased from him online, and all I can say is PERFECT! You could not ask for a nicer, more helpful guy...
  • Paul A Martin Historical Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great shop, selection and atmosphere
    One of the better firearm shop experiences I’ve had, Paul is very patient and helpful. Definitely going to be a repeat customer even though it’s...
Top Bottom