JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Whats important about oil and the AR is that you are using it. Are some choices better than others? I am sure they are. The only choice that is critical though is the choice to put oil on it. I have used cooking oil, motor oil, threading oil and even a bit of bacon grease (works good and smells delicious)

An AR needs lubrication, a dry AR is a problematic AR. I have never used any of the "fancy" stuff, mostly what I use is air tool oil, because I have a lot of it and it was free :D

I have been trying Slip 2000 with good results. They make several different types depending on use. LWRC recommends it on my M6A2 - EWL (Extreme Weapons Lubricant). They also make a grease that has solved my AMT Hardballer galling problems. Older Stainless .45 autos and maybe some newer ones will benefit from this. They used a softer steel. It is completely non-toxic and not that expensive. I have also used Hoppes, CLP, Rem-oil and Tri-flow. Tri-flow tends to separate, but worked great for a while. Hoppes had always been my go to prior to Slip 2000. I still use it on blued steel for rust prevention in storage.

Whats important about oil and the AR is that you are using it. Are some choices better than others? I am sure they are. The only choice that is critical though is the choice to put oil on it. I have used cooking oil, motor oil, threading oil and even a bit of bacon grease (works good and smells delicious)

An AR needs lubrication, a dry AR is a problematic AR. I have never used any of the "fancy" stuff, mostly what I use is air tool oil, because I have a lot of it and it was free :D

Exactly, it doesn't matter what you use, just use something and plenty of it.

What are folks feelings on Teflon? I just started using "Blaster" brand dry lube w/Teflon (?$6 at box stores).

Goes on wet similar to Hornady One Shot w/"dyna glide", then dries to leave the Teflon behind. The "Blaster" brand does take a bit longer to dry, but canned air dries it rite out.

That "Blaster" brand does leave a decent amount of white Teflon film behind though, seemingly moreso than One Shot's coating.

-From what I've read, you want to keep Teflon away from barrels though, so they're getting CLP.

Again, just started using the Teflon, but earlier in the week ran a few AR's "a bunch" without issue.

Overspray does make a bit of a mess, so you do have to clean it up rather quickly or you'll be picking Teflon out of grooves & such...

Dry lube, in my experience, rubs off and does not replace itself. A fluid, continues to flow and continues to re-coat itself.

Teflon? One of the ingredients of our Vietnam-era small arms lube, LSA-T. We used it internally and externally on every component of small arms for lubrication and preservative.

Dry lube, in my experience, rubs off and does not replace itself. A fluid, continues to flow and continues to re-coat itself.

Teflon? One of the ingredients of our Vietnam-era small arms lube, LSA-T. We used it internally and externally on every component of small arms for lubrication and preservative.

I remember in basic and AIT we had to use RBC and then LSA... I remember thinking, "this sheite is just kerosene, man!!" (Smelled just like kerosene.... duh). Then hit permanent party at my first duty station and it was all Break Free CLP....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top