JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well iffin ya feel the need for a 45 give a holler and stop by for the Hijos de Villa........But before shootin that hard hitter you may want to just shoot something ya bring along out back or I have a small selection..... Cant shoot either right now due to surgery myself.
Thanks, but I do have 45s available.
There's jus this "one"....

And @11Charlie 's tryin to barbeque my wallet!:D

C36FF7FA-2391-44BC-A201-C100479185E6.jpeg 7CA35EB2-81F4-4A50-A2BE-FE37D9C0FBCB.jpeg 128EC772-CEA3-41DF-9167-1A49ECC930A0.gif

My Grandfather's S&W 19-2 in .357 mag. He was a police officer in the Seattle police department for a couple of decades and this was his primary duty weapon for a lot of it.

20210121_074509.jpg

After receiving it from my uncle, I picked up a Ted Blocker holster for it.

20210121_074450.jpg

Having suffered the close friendship of a true Texas extrovert (translate: braggart, clothes horse--even for his horse), and having enjoyed the close friendship since the war of another Texan of the ethnic persuasion (now retired Border Patrol and DEA who taught me all the Spanish I need to start a fist fight) and having attended barbecues with both, I have come to my own conclusions about Barbecue Guns:

Psychologists and/or feminists might make the analogy that the ostentatious firearm on the hip at a social gathering is a symbolic display of another "gun" we have no choice but to carry. They may even extend the analogy to say it is a manifestation of feelings of inadequacy in that department.

(Responders here who have posted particularly large Barbecue Guns may wear that shoe if they choose, but I prefer to avoid such evaluations.)

What I know is that it certainly IS a display. My cowboy buddy I believe is interested in showing off his means: Texas is a place of extremes where the economic spectrum often does not have many hues between the very wealthy and the very poor. Cowboy buddy is interested in advertising he is certainly NOT in the latter category. Border Patrol buddy is interested in that to a lesser extent and more concerned with a display of power.

The gun must catch the eye. Nickel, Stainless, Ivory, Pearl, Engraving and Holsters all serve this purpose. (Sorry, Parkerized is no bueno). Primarily for the other male attendees at the function, but there may be an ulterior motive of the purpose directed at the ladies (see "means" and "power" above). The greatest compliment is when a fellow attendee (male or female) makes the request to "see your gun". (But beware: it may just be a ruse to get you to ask to see theirs: a "return of the compliment").

See how this works?

Anyway, y'all can make your own analogies and diagnoses regarding my choices:

P1210362.JPG
Colt's Bisley SAA. Factory nickel, in .32-20 WCF. (All GOOD Texas Barbecues eventually deteriorate into target practice.) The Lightning Rifle in the window rack of the F350 in the same caliber serves as not only another display, but a demonstration of caliber compatibility, and .32-20 allows the ladies to comfortably participate in the handling of guns. again: See how this works?

P1210363.JPG
Colt's Model of 1903 (1908). Factory nickel and engraved. .380 caliber. If one is operating the cooking apparatus, this is a practical choice, preferably in a light shoulder rig or a basket-weave half-pancake on the hip.

As Sheriff Jim Wilson said to me after we had a lengthy discussion on this subject, "Buenas Suerte, Amigo!"

Last Edited:
I'd go with something interesting, or historical. Likely my Camp Perry 1911A1 Remington.

85knjLBl.jpg

Brisket sandwiches, and jalapeno's stuffed with squab and wrapped in bacon go well with fine, and oh so purdy pistols, and must have a fancy holster too. Be prepared to wipe fingerprints, drool and brisket grease from your BBQ show piece!

Kudos to Spitpatch for the deep philosophical BBQ.jpg
1903 Pocket Hammer
267775-C (2).jpg
1954 Colt Commercial - Carl Bleile full engraving

Having suffered the close friendship of a true Texas extrovert (translate: braggart, clothes horse--even for his horse), and having enjoyed the close friendship since the war of another Texan of the ethnic persuasion (now retired Border Patrol and DEA who taught me all the Spanish I need to start a fist fight) and having attended barbecues with both, I have come to my own conclusions about Barbecue Guns:

Psychologists and/or feminists might make the analogy that the ostentatious firearm on the hip at a social gathering is a symbolic display of another "gun" we have no choice but to carry. They may even extend the analogy to say it is a manifestation of feelings of inadequacy in that department.

(Responders here who have posted particularly large Barbecue Guns may wear that shoe if they choose, but I prefer to avoid such evaluations.)

What I know is that it certainly IS a display. My cowboy buddy I believe is interested in showing off his means: Texas is a place of extremes where the economic spectrum often does not have many hues between the very wealthy and the very poor. Cowboy buddy is interested in advertising he is certainly NOT in the latter category. Border Patrol buddy is interested in that to a lesser extent and more concerned with a display of power.

The gun must catch the eye. Nickel, Stainless, Ivory, Pearl, Engraving and Holsters all serve this purpose. (Sorry, Parkerized is no bueno). Primarily for the other male attendees at the function, but there may be an ulterior motive of the purpose directed at the ladies (see "means" and "power" above). The greatest compliment is when a fellow attendee (male or female) makes the request to "see your gun". (But beware: it may just be a ruse to get you to ask to see theirs: a "return of the compliment").

See how this works?

Anyway, y'all can make your own analogies and diagnoses regarding my choices:

View attachment 811398
Colt's Bisley SAA. Factory nickel, in .32-20 WCF. (All GOOD Texas Barbecues eventually deteriorate into target practice.) The Lightning Rifle in the window rack of the F350 in the same caliber serves as not only another display, but a demonstration of caliber compatibility, and .32-20 allows the ladies to comfortably participate in the handling of guns. again: See how this works?

View attachment 811408
Colt's Model of 1903 (1908). Factory nickel and engraved. .380 caliber. If one is operating the cooking apparatus, this is a practical choice, preferably in a light shoulder rig or a basket-weave half-pancake on the hip.

As Sheriff Jim Wilson said to me after we had a lengthy discussion on this subject, "Buenas Suerte, Amigo!"
I like pretty guns. :)

another Texan of the ethnic persuasion (now retired Border Patrol and DEA who taught me all the Spanish I need to start a fist fight) and having attended barbecues with both
I hope that at the "ethnic" barbecue you packed a chrome (or nickel) 1911... in 38 Super, of course, out of respect for your host.
SOB, no holster, also as a sign of ethnic good will.
MoP grips preferred, contrasting inlays are also acceptable.

(Yes, l want one) :s0136: Superfly

Fancy gun as junk extension?
Maybe.
More like peacock feathers with the added benefit of giving the guys something to talk about besides football, golf, or how bad/good they did in the stock market last quarter.

I hope that at the "ethnic" barbecue you packed a chrome (or nickel) 1911... in 38 Super, of course, out of respect for your host.
SOB, no holster, also as a sign of ethnic good will.
MoP grips preferred, contrasting inlays are also acceptable.

(Yes, l want one) :s0136: Superfly

Fancy gun as junk extension?
Maybe.
More like peacock feathers with the added benefit of giving the guys something to talk about besides football, golf, or how bad/good they did in the stock market last quarter.

Never attended an "ethnic barbecue". The ones I went to were attended by a healthy cross-section of good people. Heads of families (men AND women) easily recognize who has earned respect. Toward that recognition, ethnicity plays no part that I have observed. As to the food served, the mix results in an "Eclectic Barbecue".

As to peacock feathers, you are on the right track. Sometimes these guns are just plain jewelry. But almost always with an underlying message about the person wearing it.

Last Edited:
The one I attended in North Texas outside of Whiskey Flats in the mid 80's was on the ranch previously owned by Davy Crockett's widow as part of the 40000 acre land grant given by the state of Texas in the 1840's. It had been whittled down to 20,000 acres over the years . Still had the original house on the property with its tunnels to the river to escape Indian attacks , outdoor smoke shed, slave quarters, lakes etc. My friend Cal lived in it and I had stayed there many times and drank many a beer there. In any case the family had a big Texas BBQ one day complete with big old El Dorado's , oil men Olympic athletes, Dallas cowboy cheerleaders , politicians, big hair, lots of smokers going and guns everywhere. It was beautiful.

1) "Psychologists and/or feminists might make the analogy that the ostentatious firearm on the hip at a social gathering is a symbolic display of another "gun" we have no choice but to carry. They may even extend the analogy to say it is a manifestation of feelings of inadequacy in that department."
OK, so I'll strap a cotto salami to my leg to go with an ostentatious pistol. :D

2) Any such guns I may or may not have ever owned were lost when my oceangoing kayak capsized over the Challenger Deep. :eek:

I guess I have to ask. Have any of you been to a Texas BBQ event where everyone brings out their finest. I have.

Haven't been to Texas in decades. But I belong to a collector gun group and we have a member's "picnic" each summer (except 2020!) and everyone brings something for show and tell. Some are too big to pack on the hip, but it's a great get together, and fun to see what shows up!

I have a shirt that says, "This IS my costume". One year, many years ago, for Halloween I wore it to the local watering hole Halloween costume party. I'd also taken a large pair (or two) of socks wadded up and stuffed from my crotch down my leg. Took a while before a gal spotted it, but then everyone was staring at my "costume". :D
Haven't been to Texas in decades. But I belong to a collector gun group and we have a member's "picnic" each summer (except 2020!) and everyone brings something for show and tell. Some are too big to pack on the hip, but it's a great get together, and fun to see what shows up!
That sounds like fun! NWFA used to have gatherings. Something like this could be interesting.

I have a shirt that says, "This IS my costume". One year, many years ago, for Halloween I wore it to the local watering hole Halloween costume party. I'd also taken a large pair (or two) of socks wadded up and stuffed from my crotch down my leg. Took a while before a gal spotted it, but then everyone was staring at my "costume". :D

That sounds like fun! NWFA used to have gatherings. Something like this could be interesting.
I'd go to it. I can teach anti-social distancing!
:)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads