JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Killed in seconds? By what? A burglar with a bayonet? A guy with a gun? Gun guy is easy. Pull trigger a couple times. BTW I am retired military and did have bayonet training. But thats not what is going to make a difference here. Army bayonet training in my era was brief, simple, laughable and largely unremembered. So was physical fitness in my case. Marines.....might be a different story I hear their bayonet training is much more extensive.

I suppose you might get killed in seconds by enemy spec ops at you door, Bruce Lee, enemy Cuban airborne, a gang of 15 against 1 but............NONE of these scenarios are EVER gonna happen to me. At worst I might have on e skinny tweeker wishing he were somewhere else.

Thats what I think.

We did train extensively with bayonets when I was in the Corps from pugil sticks in boot camp all the way through infantry training. I learned that I want to avoid using a bayonet on the end of a rifle at almost all costs. I will admit that it is much better than being unarmed. Part of our training was arming one Marine with a rifle and bayonet and one with a K-Bar (bayonet sheathed and K-Bar simulated). The guy with the knife will win every time unless he is just a complete dufus. Bayoneting someone isn't all that easy. Most people are quick enough to parry and then get inside to put a knife into you. For home defense, I guess if the bad guy is unarmed it might work out. As long as he doesn't take your weapon away from you while you are trying stab him. Just my humble opinion. I'll stick with filling the air with lead. OOHRAH.

I was extensively trained with the bayonet by the Army. Like semperfi, above, starting with pugil sticks and on through parry, thrust, vertical butt strokes and horizontal butt strokes. Also, unsticking the things. I would never want to use one in home defense or use one against a knife or machette! I wouldn't care to be in a position where I had to fight with the bayonet with an empty weapon. I see the value in knowing how to fight with a bayonet is to use the technique with the muzzle and buttstock of your HD shotgun. Stick the guy in the throat with the muzzle and butt stroke him back where you can shoot him. Come to think, I wouldn't want to try that either! Good to know I could though!

.I want my enemy to be as far away from me as possible prior to me engaging/dispatching them via bullet or otherwise. Anytime you are arms length away from a bad guy with a knife or other sharp object that's a formula for disaster. Even the drunkest, most stoned, crazy, inbred, tweeker etc. can get lucky at that point.
Of course you do. Just because one has a bayonet on their rifle doesn't mean that they're going to or want to skip to my lou up to the bad guy and stick him.
Perhaps you prefer feathers when all else has failed?

Coming from someone with ZERO Bayonet training I think a bayonet would add a psychological advantage to the home defender. If I was ever on the wrong end of that I would have second thoughts about what I was intending to do.

But for practical purposes within the close confines of an individuals home I would presume that you would need space to thrust, dodge and perry the bayonet. Kinda hard to do when you are in a hallway, bedroom, living room, surrounded by furniture, walls etc. Not to mention when you do attempt the thrust, dodge and perry that would put your weapon dangerously close to the dirtbag if they successfully side step the bayonet. If you are successful planting the bayonet into the intended target/dirtbag you would have a decent blood trailer for the police to follow.

I figure if I have to stick someone I would probably just use a knife. Not something I would look forward to.

Molon Labe, tweekers

greek phalanx.JPG

greek phalanx.JPG

Along with a HG for the Bastard that has the gall to wake me after I finally got to sleep I have my father's old machete from Vietnam (finely honed to razor sharp) to use after I expend all 49 rounds of .40 cal HP bullets, and if there is anything left to resemble a threat then it will get used accordingly. God help them then....

I too trained with the bayonet (USMC 1985-91), and while in theory, any weapon is better than none at all, I would prefer a decent knife, or save the weight to load up on more ammo, magazines, or a pistol. I have not seen a bayonet that was decent enough quality to make me want to substitute it for one of my good knives, and as all of us who've served in the military know, weight is not your friend!

Along with a HG for the Bastard that has the gall to wake me after I finally got to sleep I have my father's old machete from Vietnam (finely honed to razor sharp) to use after I expend all 49 rounds of .40 cal HP bullets, and if there is anything left to resemble a threat then it will get used accordingly. God help them then....

That's because you're a Caveman. :s0081:

Of course you do. Just because one has a bayonet on their rifle doesn't mean that they're going to or want to skip to my lou up to the bad guy and stick him.
Perhaps you prefer feathers when all else has failed?

I think a bratwurst duct taped to a rifle barrel would be just as about effective for most people.

You can add whatever you want to your rifle, its a free country. My suggestion, instead of investing a bayonet for your rifle, learn to shoot. Engaging a threat at 500+ yards is a lot easier than one at 5 yards..

I think a bratwurst duct taped to a rifle barrel would be just as about effective for most people.

You can add whatever you want to your rifle, its a free country. My suggestion, instead of investing a bayonet for your rifle, learn to shoot. Engaging a threat at 500+ yards is a lot easier than one at 5 yards..
That's great. I really don't care what you think.
I know what I can do to my rifle, thank you very much.. and personally, I know what long guns are for and can do.
You certainly don't give your fellow man much credit on their ability to fight for their lives just given their hands, let alone with tools.

That's great. I really don't care what you think.
I know what I can do to my rifle, thank you very much.. and personally, I know what long guns are for and can do.
You certainly don't give your fellow man much credit on their ability to fight for their lives just given their hands, let alone with tools.

Most men lack training. Maybe you don't, but most do. An average man can utilize a rifle effectively....take that same man and let him go hand to hand? Only in the movies....

Most men lack training. Maybe you don't, but most do. An average man can utilize a rifle effectively....take that same man and let him go hand to hand? Only in the movies....
"Let" him? Give me a break.. you are being condescending again. There is no "let" when one must.

bayonets are best in the open field where your squad can form into phalanx. for HD, just give everyone in your family a Mossy 590 tipped with a bayo, form up and you'll have the intruders turning tail and heading for the door.

just jokes.

I like bayonets. If you haven't had any training with them it's not hard to become proficient with them by checking on line to see some drills and then go practice them.

:s0155:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think a flashlight would be a better choice to hang below my Winchester trench shotgun.
If I can't take care of business with 7 rds of 00 buck, then a bayonet probably won't help much either.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top