JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey man, I don't recommend this. You see, glyphosate is actually not a poison (surprise!), it is something much much worse than most people realize. Glyphosate is both a chelator and also an antibiotic.

As a chelator, it is highly negatively charged and hence attract positively charged elements in plants and soil. In fact, when glyphosate was first invented, it was used to clear pipes clogged with minerals.

It is also a very powerful antibiotic, it kills all beneficial microbes in the plant and the soil.

The way it works on plant, is that it sucks up all the nutrients in the plant and the soil, and also kill off all the beneficial microbes. This weaken the plant and encourage bad microbes and fungus to attack and hence eventually kill the plant. If you grow a plant in sterile soil and spray glyphosate on it, it will be stunted/weakened, but it will not die.

In other words, when you use a highly concentrated glyphosate in your property, you're essentially removing nutrients and beneficial microbes in your soil, and encourage bad microbes and fungus to grow. Do this enough times at high concentration, and you'll find that many things won't grow properly on your soil.

I would say just mix a triclopyr based product with diesel at the labeled concentration, for blackberry you'll want to spray at the right time, and be patient, they will die but just not immediately.
I do not try to grow things where I spray. I just do not want to deal with the weeds/etc. that I spray - I want it to go away because I do not want to have to walk thru brambles and thistles and I do not want brambles to take over areas of my property - which they are constantly trying to do. I have never had any problems with dead spots anywhere on my property - at least not more than one growing season. The next year something grows there no matter what the soil is, even if it is two feet of gravel. I even have stuff growing up thru my asphalt.

I do not try to grow things where I spray. I just do not want to deal with the weeds/etc. that I spray - I want it to go away because I do not want to have to walk thru brambles and thistles and I do not want brambles to take over areas of my property - which they are constantly trying to do. I have never had any problems with dead spots anywhere on my property - at least not more than one growing season. The next year something grows there no matter what the soil is, even if it is two feet of gravel. I even have stuff growing up thru my asphalt.
A lot of the spraying I do is also places that I do not want anything to grow but, I always loved Roundup because if it got on other places it seemed to do nothing. I have used it a few times to kill off things I did not want then plant what I did want. What I wanted to grow never seemed to mind at all. :s0092:
Of course I am no kind of pro at any of this so not sure why it works for me.

I have noticed some areas I sprayed the vegetation that died was wider than expected, but I probably wasn't as careful as I thought I was being. That are remained dead for that growing season, but the next year there was something growing there - usually some form of grass. The Crossbow I add to the mix is for the maple and alder and sometimes I have to spray that for several years to keep shoots from growing from the stump - the hardwoods are very persistent, where the conifers are much more vulnerable to damage of any sort and I have never seen regrowth from a fir stump.

It is also a very powerful antibiotic, it kills all beneficial microbes in the plant and the soil.
It would be nice if you would provide a source when making claims like this There are numerous experimental studies available on the internet which contradict your statement. Here is one summary:

"Several published scientific reviews and risk analyses conclude that the use of glyphosate-based herbicides poses a minimal risk to soil microorganisms, earthworms and invertebrates. Studies conducted in Canadian forests also show limited or no effect on soil organisms when tests use realistic exposure and environmental conditions." (emphasis mine).

Hey man, I don't recommend this. You see, glyphosate is actually not a poison (surprise!), it is something much much worse than most people realize. Glyphosate is both a chelator and also an antibiotic.

As a chelator, it is highly negatively charged and hence attract positively charged elements in plants and soil. In fact, when glyphosate was first invented, it was used to clear pipes clogged with minerals.

The way it works on plant, is that it sucks up all the nutrients in the plant and the soil, and also kill off all the beneficial microbes. This weaken the plant and encourage bad microbes and fungus to attack and hence eventually kill the plant. If you grow a plant in sterile soil and spray glyphosate on it, it will be stunted/weakened, but it will not die.

In other words, when you use a highly concentrated glyphosate in your property, you're essentially removing nutrients and beneficial microbes in your soil, and encourage bad microbes and fungus to grow. Do this enough times at high concentration, and you'll find that many things won't grow properly on your soil.

I would say just mix a triclopyr based product with diesel at the labeled concentration, for blackberry you'll want to spray at the right time, and be patient, they will die but just not immediately.

It would be nice if you would provide a source when making claims like this There are numerous experimental studies available on the internet which contradict your statement. Here is one summary:

"Several published scientific reviews and risk analyses conclude that the use of glyphosate-based herbicides poses a minimal risk to soil microorganisms, earthworms and invertebrates. Studies conducted in Canadian forests also show limited or no effect on soil organisms when tests use realistic exposure and environmental conditions." (emphasis mine).

When I read a LOT of the stuff you read on the net its often well, "over the top" so to speak. Especially when someone will throw something out with just "they said it so all should believe" kind of thing. Often its probably people who heard this somewhere along the line from someone else who heard it from a friend kind of thing. :s0092: I get the impression its often someone already wants the answer so they hear what they want to hear and then will make it a point to not look anything up. Not wanting to find any info that goes against what they want to believe maybe? Who knows. All I know is I have often used this stuff to kill off vegetation I did not want, then planting stuff I did want there. Stuff I planted did not seem to know it was not supposed to live there. :s0092:

We killed a cherry orchard in preparation of returning it to timber production by "hack and squirt" application of Imazapyr. Hack and squirt is the best method of killing large brush and trees. You use a hatchet to make gashes in the bark deep enough to reach the cambium layer, then apply concentrated herbicide to the gash. The tree absorbs the herbicide directly, and in the late Summer and Fall it draws it down to the roots.

The beauty of this method is that it only applies the herbicide directly where it is most effective. On trees Triclopyr and Tordon RTU ( picloram and 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid) are readily available and work well. Tordon is "hot" and can kill nearby broadleaf and brushy plants.

I have used this method (and Imazapyr) to kill well-established Ivy plants growing up trees I wanted to keep. It was the only thing that worked on the Ivy, and didn't harm the trees.

I have A laurel stump I need to kill. Ive done many things to it over the years and it keeps coming back i started drilling deep holes in it with a auger bit
The old way used to be diesel , Anyone know What I should Use this time to be done with it for good ?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top