JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been running into the same issue. The only place to shoot is English Pit during the week and thats only if its not Law Enforcement day. I have been going up to Olympia to shoot lately with the wifes brother at some spots he knows but the gas is killing me. I understand that people want to keep their secret spots to themselves to keep the idiots away and i can respect that. I'd love to tag along with some of the locals down here in the Vancouver area to see some descent spots to shoot or even be pointed in the right direction. I'm not one of the idiots that screw around and leave an area trashed. Its just bad business and bad karma.

why not join the best kept secret I know of..wolverton gun club.it's a bit of a hike,near the junction of lewisville hiway and the T going to woodland or cougar,but it's a great place to shoot.almost no one is ever there ! 3 covered shooting houses,pop machine,wood stoves for winter.
it's a private club BUT it's open to the public the second sunday of the month. I belive it's about 400.00 to join,but can be made in payments. even on Public Day it's seldom busy at allthey have ipsc shoots,pin shoots,cowboy shoots,and just plain ol' plinking. bring ur trap and shoot clays too.

no RO'S except on public day,so you just patrol yor selves as to 'cease fires',etc. want to shoot steel? no problem,just bring it along,I do.

Heck,we even get snow there now and then.
DSCN0197.jpg

here is the rifle range house,the rifle range is 150 yards.
DSCN2958.jpg

<broken link removed>

we need more members,and it sure is a good place to go shoot.
NOTE: at this year's picnic coming up in August,there will be a Barrett .50 to shoot,I'm looking forward to that.!!!

if anyone wants to meet me up there sometime,I'm always up for a range day. come on up and we'll shoot a few hundred rounds. !

No offense to anybody at Wolverton, but I've already looked into joining a shooting club and ruled out Wolverton. Cost is the main concern, and the fees for a new member are just too high. Other than that, I've had no complaints with anything I've seen or read about it.

vmkeith,yes they are pretty high,but it's a great place to shoot.I drive past English pit to get there almost.I spend as much on gas as I would if I went to English,but having the range all to mayself..usually... is a real plus.being able to use my trap,and bring my steel to setup...well,you get the picture.
IF you've not actually been there,you should go once and see it in person,I think You'd like it.

I'd be willing to show someone a couple of spots up on larch where you can shoot and generally not be next to anyone else (I refuse to shoot with strangers) as long as you take a garbage bag/bucket with you and pack out more than you take in. Just be prepared for some bumpy dusty gravel roads as it's a bit of a drive up the mountain to get away from the masses

I'm looking for a spot near Battle Ground as well. Some place where I can go out with a buddy and just take our time and spend a few hours without a ton (or any if possible) people coming and going. The wife is shy and it's hard to get her to shoot with a bunch of people around. And they are probably safer not being around too. ;) /jk

First of all, I joined NWF just to reply to this thread. I found this forum through PNWguns. I'm new to the shooting / gun scene, and when I first came into it all I had no idea where to shoot, and nobody to point me in the direction. For this reason, I'm sympathetic to this thread. I know this thread was started in July, but this is a really great outdoor place to shoot, it's public, and it's free, so I thought I'd share the information.

Anyway, I found a great place to shoot. It's a lot closer than the Larch Mountain gravel pits. I live in La Center, WA and it takes me about 20-30 minutes to get there. Recommended to have 4x4 (especially if it's raining.)

I don't have GPS so I can't post coordinates. But I will tell you how to get there. It's really easy, especially if you're familiar with the area.

1] From I-5(N), take the Woodland exit, #21
2] Turn right at the exit (Lewis River Rd)
3] Follow Lewis River Rd for a ways until you reach Little Kalama River Road, and turn left there.
4] Continue on Little Kalama River Road until you reach a four-way intersection, turn right at the intersection (Davis Peak Road)
5] Keep going straight and you will see a few houses to the right, continue past the houses and the asphalt road will turn into a dirt road. (NOTE: You'll know you've passed the last house on the road when you see a blue truck, a creepy owl statue, and a hay barn with some cows.)
6] Continue past the last house, and you can pretty much pull off on any of the side roads and shoot wherever you like.

Side note:
The first right turn you'll come to has a yellow gate. Pull off there for longer range (50-200yards.)

Well I hope you don't have too much trouble finding the place. I found it no problem my first time going up there. About the 4x4, I wouldn't say it's required, but I personally would rather drive my Explorer out there instead of my Neon. ;)

Happy Shooting, fellas.

First of all, I joined NWF just to reply to this thread. I found this forum through PNWguns. I'm new to the shooting / gun scene, and when I first came into it all I had no idea where to shoot, and nobody to point me in the direction. For this reason, I'm sympathetic to this thread. I know this thread was started in July, but this is a really great outdoor place to shoot, it's public, and it's free, so I thought I'd share the information.

Anyway, I found a great place to shoot. It's a lot closer than the Larch Mountain gravel pits. I live in La Center, WA and it takes me about 20-30 minutes to get there. Recommended to have 4x4 (especially if it's raining.)

I don't have GPS so I can't post coordinates. But I will tell you how to get there. It's really easy, especially if you're familiar with the area.

1] From I-5(N), take the Woodland exit, #21
2] Turn right at the exit (Lewis River Rd)
3] Follow Lewis River Rd for a ways until you reach Little Kalama River Road, and turn left there.
4] Continue on Little Kalama River Road until you reach a four-way intersection, turn right at the intersection (Davis Peak Road)
5] Keep going straight and you will see a few houses to the right, continue past the houses and the asphalt road will turn into a dirt road. (NOTE: You'll know you've passed the last house on the road when you see a blue truck, a creepy owl statue, and a hay barn with some cows.)
6] Continue past the last house, and you can pretty much pull off on any of the side roads and shoot wherever you like.

Side note:
The first right turn you'll come to has a yellow gate. Pull off there for longer range (50-200yards.)

Well I hope you don't have too much trouble finding the place. I found it no problem my first time going up there. About the 4x4, I wouldn't say it's required, but I personally would rather drive my Explorer out there instead of my Neon. ;)

Happy Shooting, fellas.

Thanks for posting this. The Woodland exit is only about 15 miles up I-5 from me. Much appreciated.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top