JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In the current thread on security I noted intelligence is an area most preparedness minded people are lacking in, myself included. In my efforts to learn more one of the best resources I've found is Forward Observer run by former army intel analyst Sam Culper. He in putting on an online exercise to battle track protest activities (to use the term loosely) during the impending inauguration. Here is the link:

Inaugural

In the current thread on security I noted intelligence is an area most preparedness minded people are lacking in, myself included. In my efforts to learn more one of the best resources I've found is Forward Observer run by former army intel analyst Sam Culper. He in putting on an online exercise to battle track protest activities (to use the term loosely) during the impending inauguration. Here is the link:
Inaugural

I look in on Forward Observer. Some good useful info on there.

Are they tracking just DC or everywhere? I see that Portland is shutting down the max trains for fear of those "peace loving tolerant" protestors destroying them or surrounding them and trapping passengers...

Just D.C., the effort is really a large virtual training exercise and example for people who want to learn about real time open source intel gathering during an emergency.

Battle tracking would certainly be very valuable for people in the area of PDX protests; what could you do with a 5 minute warning if you owned a business in the path of a riot? 30 minutes? An hour?

Inaugural

I have to ask - is Sam Culper his real name? The reason I ask is that during the Revolutionary War, Washington's spy ring, formed by then Major Benjamin Tallmadge used the names Samuel Culper Jr. and Samuel Culper Sr. for two of it's spies. Just thought it is an interesting coincidence that someone named Sam Culper would be involved in military intelligence.

So, did anyone learn anything from this "Battle Tracking"? I'm not seeing any after action reports. No lessons learned. No evaluations. So, what was the point?
The only bad stuff I heard about all happened Friday night. The Women's March on Saturday seems to have been very peaceful everywhere.

It's just like May Day in Seattle (and all over). Regular people are out protesting and the anarchists show up and use it as an excuse to burn and destroy as much as possible. They [the anarchists] completely undermine any legitimate protests with their shenanigans. Not sure if this is the point or if they just take any excuse they can get to cause problems.

I now see after action reports. But, really only for the FO process. How they went about things. What they learned about their own internal workings. Still nothing about how the tracking helped anyone.

So, did anyone learn anything from this "Battle Tracking"? I'm not seeing any after action reports. No lessons learned. No evaluations. So, what was the point?

Finally getting back around to this thread.

I followed the exercise as I could from work and was able to pick up a few small points.

Seeing the progression of the tracking really helped me get a better grasp of the way information is evaluated and displayed. The main point is trend analysis; trajectory of overall events, how do the data points of violent activity relate and what information is relevant to you own situation.

This is a group effort; you can't track events as a solo operation and especially can't provide effective physical security at the same time.

Ultimately it comes down to getting real time and accurate information along with insightful analysis to the decision makers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top