JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, maybe not so much a battle, but that I just went out and shot my 6.5's today :p.. So now we can legally go out and shoot in the national forests and our clubs again and I'm taking advantage of it my friends!!!! All I took to the range today were my 6.5 caliber rifles. A new Savage 12FV, chambered in a newer cartridge (6.5 Creedmoor) and an old Carl Gustav Swede 6.5x55. I set up 1 rifle per bench and proceeded to shoot them today. I shot the Creed left handed and the Swede right handed. Here's my club's range and how the 2 sweethearts did today:

cN2OdDD.jpg
2rh40Ag.jpg

Ok, so I should add, I haven't shot the Swede very much. Purchased the rifle to shoot in our military rifle shoots at the club I belong to. When I first got it, It shot mucho high. So I bought 2 different front sight blades to try. The taller sight blade helped bigtime to bring the poi down where I needed it. Here's the first group of the day at 100 yards:
NoNGiRN.jpg
Not bad for a 100+ year old rifle huh. Looks like the new front sight blade did the trick:
Fa3Xa1J.jpg
....and I thought it was a wall hanger :eek:
kFpBYRq.jpg

So I proceeded to shoot some groups with the Creed for some friends at another site:
kWKe2Hu.jpg

Then my last group of the day was shot with the old rifle with iron sights:
eDTzIOm.jpg

You may ask, which one do you like better? Well, at this present time, I like them equally. Their both from different ends of the spectrum, but that's what makes them so enjoyable. Hope you guys got out and did something fun this weekend. Happy hunting as well!!!! :cool:

Last Edited:
I'm really liking the Gustav. It's the first 6.5x55 rifle I've owned. She's a sweet shooter. I'd hate to see what it could really do with a good shooter behind it.

My summer project was a 1903 Springfield. Had pac nor install a 6.5x55 Swede barrel. It's not blued yet and the stock is still pretty rough. Shoots good. Going to try and shoot a antelope with it this week.

The 6.6 Swede is still the most used cartridge for hunting in Sweden. Soft shooting and accurate but perhaps you don't wan't to take your classic out in poor conditions.

A range day with good results, good dinner waiting when you get home, and good lovin' afterward. :D

Damn, I'd die of a heart attack if all that happened in the same day :D. For now, let's just say I had a good day at the range, a good dinner, then I bought my deer tag and then installed some led lights in the garage. I'm too tired to do anything else tonight :D

we tried replicating the hornady precision hunters as best we could as they shoot exceptionally well in his rifle. we found 41.5gr to be our sweet spot.

Very cool. That is book max, the reason I stopped at that charge wt. with the 140's. However, I was not experiencing any of your typical pressure signs. I'm going to run them across the Chrono next time out. You will be doing great if you mimic those precision hunter rounds. One of my good buddies uses them in his 308 win (pre 64 fwt) and a 300WSM... He swears by them and they are damn accurate in both of his rifles...

That's what I'm thinking too. Or tiger maple. I don't know what kind of trees they have in Sweden, but this one sure has a lot of figure in it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top