JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
NPR:

Report Details ATF's Use Of Mentally Disabled In Gun Stings : The Two-Way : NPR

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel just published a blockbuster story that's today's must read: Based on court records, police reports and dozens of interviews, the paper details how the ATF used "rogue" tactics — including providing underage youths with alcohol and allowing them to smoke pot — to run storefront gun and drug stings across the country.

In our estimation the most explosive allegation made in the report is that the agents with the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives used mentally disabled people to run their stings.

NPR's Source:
Watchdog Report - ATF uses rogue tactics in storefront stings across nation

In one case, the paper reports, the agents running Squid's Smoke Shop in Portland, Ore., convinced Aaron Key, 19, and described as "mentally disabled," to get a tattoo of a squid on his neck to promote the store.

My source:
Instapundit » Blog Archive » NOTHING SHADY ABOUT THIS: NPR: Report Details ATF?s Use Of Mentally Disabled In Gun Stings. The?

This is sick. Those involved should be fired, arrested, and be put away for talking kids into getting these tattoo's.

"Aaron Key wasn't sure he wanted a tattoo on his neck. Especially one of a giant squid smoking a joint.

But the guys running Squid's Smoke Shop in Portland, Ore., convinced him: It would be a perfect way to promote their store.

They would even pay him and a friend $150 apiece if they agreed to turn their bodies into walking billboards.

Key, who is mentally disabled, was swayed.

He and his friend, Marquis Glover, liked Squid's. It was their hangout. The 19-year-olds spent many afternoons there playing Xbox and chatting with the owner, "Squid," and the store clerks.

So they took the money and got the ink etched on their necks, tentacles creeping down to their collarbones.

It would be months before the young men learned the whole thing was a setup. The guys running Squid's were actually undercover ATF agents conducting a sting to get guns away from criminals and drugs off the street.

The tattoos had been sponsored by the U.S. government; advertisements for a fake storefront.

The teens found out as they were arrested and booked into jail."

Actually - which story broke in 2011?
That BATFE was conducting sting in Portland, and praised by the Oregonian?
Or, that they were using mentally challenged and underaged youths to be set up and to set other people up?

The first story is from 2 years ago, the other is very recent.

Its still a current issue.
I am seeing it on a dozen news sites.
Their methods are not right.
They do things like it continuously and its enticed entrapment. They can do this crap (fast and furious) but its a double standard that needs to be addressed.

These same guys will bust an FFL in a heartbeat for baited sales.

Under Cover ATF Agent: Hey, I'd like to buy a pistol for my wife.
*FFL Dealer sells man pistol- then is arrested, charged and loses license for selling a firearm to someone he knowningly knows is buying it for another person*

Just blows my mind, honestly...the intent of the law was to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, but instead it just gives the government the leeway to turn every gun owner and dealer into a criminal at ATFs will.

Don't believe me? Buy an AR pistol upper with no SBR and place it next to an AR rifle lower next time the ATF comes a knocking.

The older I get, the more I want this door mat.

door-mat-come-back-with-a-warrant.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top