JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There have been several attempts in the House of Representatives to reform the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE). The Bureau has a long track-record of abuses and questionable interpretations of law that effectively represent legislating by Bureau. The Bureau’s operations are also in need of modernization to make it easier for law-abiding gun owners and FFL holders to comply with actual Federal regulations. The most recent attempt in the House, H.R, 4900 in the 110th Congress, had 244 cosponsors. A similar bill in the 109th Congress (H.R. 5092) passed by a 2-1 majority. Unfortunately the issue has never been taken up by the Senate, until now!

More here (longish): <broken link removed>

I saw this from the NRA mailing a few days ago.

My 1 problem with it is that they give movie studios free reign to buy unregistered MGs. I think this is a bit of a double-standard.

I would also like any reform to attempt to limit the amount of time that the ATF can take to process paperwork. It is ridiculous that it takes more than a day to process a Form 4.

Otherwise, it seems like a decent bill, I'd like to see it passed.

I saw this from the NRA mailing a few days ago.

My 1 problem with it is that they give movie studios free reign to buy unregistered MGs. I think this is a bit of a double-standard.

I would also like any reform to attempt to limit the amount of time that the ATF can take to process paperwork. It is ridiculous that it takes more than a day to process a Form 4.

Otherwise, it seems like a decent bill, I'd like to see it passed.

I agree its a double standard, but it does start chipping away at the Hughes amendment...

Ya, thats the only reason I think it is OK... Though it DOES make it so we lose some additional people on our side.

The studios have a lot of money and following, so it would be nice if they would push for EVERYONE instead of just themselves

Ya, thats the only reason I think it is OK... Though it DOES make it so we lose some additional people on our side.

The studios have a lot of money and following, so it would be nice if they would push for EVERYONE instead of just themselves

I think the difference is that right now you can allow it for special groups like the movie studios without running afoul of the Hughes Amendment. The proposed legislation only reforms the BATFE and reins in their mental gymnatics (aka "legal interpretations"). To do what you propose would involve modification of the 1986 act to repeal the Hughes amendment...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top